Maximum sizes on the road

Getbock

Oct 22, 2018
Hi.
Does DR have any regulations or recommendations on vehicle size to be allowed to drive on public roads?
I mean what is the minimum height it must be when running wires over the road, max. width of the vehicle etc.

Getbock

Oct 22, 2018
The maximum height is whatever the lowest overpass on your route is, wires over the road are raised with a wooden pole so you can pass under them.
Ok.
If I understand this right, there is NO regulations about this.
In Sweden there are rules that nothing can be lower than 4,5m over a public road, if it is lower you are not responsible if anything happens. And the wehicle can't be higher than 4m without a special permit.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Ok.
In Sweden there are rules that nothing can be lower than 4,5m over a public road, if it is lower you are not responsible if anything happens. And the wehicle can't be higher than 4m without a special permit.
Aside from the drug problems, comparing Sweden to the DR is apples to oranges.
Laws and regulations in this country are either flat out ignored or at best selectively enforced.

• Haha
Reactions: RDKNIGHT

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Ok.
Lots of regulations just few followed …like red means go!!!

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
They're in Pablo's desk, bottom right hand drawer. But unfortunately the desk is locked and Pablo is in rehab.
When Pablo was tasked with coming up with the rules and realized how much work that's gonna be he said "cooooñaazzo, yo no tengo tiempo pa' eta mierda, hoy es Viernes y el cuerpo lo sabe" and he just did copy/paste of the US DOT rules. Even Pablo never read them.

Getbock

Oct 22, 2018
Aside from the drug problems, comparing Sweden to the DR is apples to oranges.
Laws and regulations in this country are either flat out ignored or at best selectively enforced.
I know they 'give a ****' in what the regulations say, that dosn't mean that I shall do it too.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
When edenorte installed new meters + whole new wiring ( triple phase ), new poles, the lot.....

Well a lorry yanked mine out, sadly not meter side, as that would have been too easy a fix, but overhead-wire side.

So, edenorte the " state-run-kind-of " electric company has no idea how high/low they were supposed to have their connections........ you can just imagine nobody else has a clue.

The fix for those that are wondering ?
I nailed a wooden pole on the outside of my wall....so the wire instead of doing overhead electric line to meter, does overhead electric line to top of wooden pole then down to my meter. 😆😆😀. Lorries can safely pass underneath now !

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
I know they 'give a ****' in what the regulations say, that dosn't mean that I shall do it too.
Not giving a **** about stupid regulations is one of the main draws why live in DR! And if you do follow all the regulations you'll just get in the way of the locals living their lives, you'll do more harm than good.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't think I've ever seen a height posted on an overpass here, but I have seen photos of a truck with the top of the trailer ripped off because it went under an overpass that was too low.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I don't compare, just wondering.
The poor ignore the regulations which are rarely enforced or simply don’t care. There are a lot of poor people in the DR. The rich can flout them with impunity or buy their way out with bribes. The middle class obey some rules and regulations but not all.

Regulations are rarely enforced unless they generate significant revenue for the government. The classic example referred to ad nauseam on DR1 are tourist overstay fees. Rather than enforce the regulations, you simply pay your overstay penalty fee when you depart at the airport and go your merry way. It’s the DR way.

The caveat here is, as an expat, it’s wise to obey the regulations because you have little legal recourse if you’re caught. When I spent my first winter here almost two decades ago, a Canadian expat and friend of mine gave me the best advice. Enjoy the country and culture but always remember that things are never as they seem. Don’t drive yourself to distraction pondering the complexities of DR life. It defeats the purpose of living there.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Regulations are rarely enforced unless they generate significant revenue for the government. The classic example referred to ad nauseam on DR1 are tourist overstay fees. Rather than enforce the regulations, you simply pay your overstay penalty fee when you depart at the airport and go your merry way. It’s the DR way.
Which is kind of stupid, because the government would generate more revenue theoretically if they'd enforce the regulations.
It's so much more affordable to actually pay the overstay "fee" than actually going through the process of residency. So why not enforce the regulation to get more revenue? Or at least make it more expensive to leave than getting the residency.

In response of the size regulations, no, if it fits it fits, if it doesn't, well you're gonna have a bad day 😂

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Which is kind of stupid, because the government would generate more revenue theoretically if they'd enforce the regulations.
It's so much more affordable to actually pay the overstay "fee" than actually going through the process of residency. So why not enforce the regulation to get more revenue? Or at least make it more expensive to leave than getting the residency.

In response of the size regulations, no, if it fits it fits, if it doesn't, well you're gonna have a bad day 😂
You’re right on both counts amigo. The Greek philosophers would get brain hernias contemplating the DR way. 😂

Size matters but the laws of physics quickly come into play when you try to fit a quart of shite into a pint bottle. The reality is, in the DR the weight of the overloaded trucks causes much more damage to the roads and bridges than the height of the loads.

The constant use of the Cangrejo bridge by overloaded trucks resulted in it’s initial failure and the second failure after it was repaired. The upper spans were hit several times over the years by trucks too high but the bridge survived. Rather than enforce the regulations, the police turned a blind eye to the problem. The government has chosen a replacement design that eliminates both problems, weight and height. Easier than ensuring the police do their job.

Enjoy your day in the DR. A light dusting of snow in my area in Canada this morning and it’s -1 degrees C. Count your blessings. 😎🌴

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Lol is that what it's called, or were you referring to Switzerland or Singapore
The DR specifically EHM but I’ve spent time in Switzerland, another complex country to live in. Rigid in many aspects, especially enforcement of immigration laws. If your an expat and commit a serious crime, your deported without legal recourse. Immigrant labourers get work visas under the strictest conditions. I’m sure there are those on DR1 who would be pleased if the DR government followed the Swiss government’s immigration policies.

Despite the DR government shortcomings, I would rather live in the DR than Switzerland. The DR has a warmer climate and a more relaxed culture. It’s easier to stay under the radar in the DR, if that’s what you want. My Canadian Friend in Luperon did it for 25 years. A few weeks before he died, he looked at me with a **** grin on his face and said he was proud of the fact that he lived full time in the DR, married a DR lady, ran a business, and never obtained citizenship.

• Love
Reactions: CristoRey

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
A few weeks before he died, he looked at me with a **** grin on his face and said he was proud of the fact that he lived full time in the DR, married a DR lady, ran a business, and never obtained citizenship.
I worked in Zurich for 3 years. If It hadn't been and still wasn't so darn impossible to get a work visa with pathway to citizenship, that would be my home. My reply to your post was poking fun at your usage of "complex" for DR life. I was making a joke. Dominican life is far from complex, I'm sure you know.

As to your friend, may he RIP but those days are over.

Reactions: Ecoman1949