Medical Wives Tales!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
What about drinking milk of magnesia during pregnancy "pa' qu' el muchacho salga limpiecito" - so that the baby comes out nice and clean?

my inlaws told me about this one with my son - i don't think it's so much so the baby comes out clean but so that the baby comes out white! because everytime the tias told me about it everyone else would say "oh they're both white already, don't have to worry about that!"

if you deny the "antojo" the baby will get the birthmark in the shape of whatever it was you didn't eat, or buy or indulge in...

you can't bend over, squat or even sit on the floor because it will cause the baby to fall out. and forget going to the beach - the waves will knock the baby out of your uterus and surely you'll have a miscarriage.

i've also heard that if you sit on the cold floor you'll get hemarhoids (spelling?) but i've heard that in the states, too.

i wash my hair a lot. sometimes twice a day. and i have A LOT of hair. the salon ladies are always so impressed that i'm not bald when i see them and also tell me about washing "too much".

and in case anyone was wondering if the tea trick for the diarrhea "empache" works, my husband has been pouring that mess down my son's throat for the past three days and i'm still changing 12 diapers a day.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i like the one about drinking pee.
as a child husband of my friend had to drink the pee of his healthy sister when he was sick and vice versa. supposed to cure you instatnly.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
my inlaws told me about this one with my son - i don't think it's so much so the baby comes out clean but so that the baby comes out white! because everytime the tias told me about it everyone else would say "oh they're both white already, don't have to worry about that!"
That rings a bell - maybe it was "pa' que salga blanquito" or "limpiecito" was a euphemism.