Meeting DR1'ers

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
sorry... Gasper is before.... then RSJ.....

goofed it......its too tough to travel this way.... Caribe Tours gets lost regularly

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
it gaspar hernandez, for the love of all that's holy. :laugh: but from today i will call it gasping hernandez. why is hernandez gasping, we will never know.

I ate Helados Bon in Gaspar, that was the highlight of my visit.

May 12, 2005
tumblr_lrhzyu1eAL1r1m06lo1_500.jpg

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
In I don't know how many years i have only knowingly met one other dr1 er, Susan 77 a very pleasant person, who i understand has recently had most horrific news. If anyone would like to make a suggestion forthe Las terrenas area, I look forward to reading it.

Fraggle2

Dec 21, 2014
I am so impressed by this. Other than two people who use their own names and Drrro, whom I used to play Mexican Train Dominoes with and Harleysrock, whom everyone knows. I know no-one.

I have been told the real names of a couple of posters but I don't know if they are true.

When I used to be the Treasurer for Sosua Kids I attended the functions mentioned in earlier posts and still I know no-one!

My son, Boz, who runs Fraggle Rock bar is often asked if he is Fraggle2 which he vehemently denies. Maybe we could have a North Coast get together there? If we could agree a date I could get some free food put on.

Jenni (I also post personally as Pansy - but all of my posts are boring)

Fraggle2

Dec 21, 2014
I am so impressed by this. Other than two people who use their own names and Drrro, whom I used to play Mexican Train Dominoes with and Harleysrock, whom everyone knows. I know no-one.

I have been told the real names of a couple of posters but I don't know if they are true.

When I used to be the Treasurer for Sosua Kids I attended the functions mentioned in earlier posts and still I know no-one!

My son, Boz, who runs Fraggle Rock bar is often asked if he is Fraggle2 which he vehemently denies. Maybe we could have a North Coast get together there? If we could agree a date I could get some free food put on.

Jenni (I also post personally as Pansy - but all of my posts are boring)

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
I find this to be an interesting question. I have been here since Jan 4. When I came down, I posted that I would be here and was interested in meeting other posters. I even sent a couple of PMs to people I knew were in the area where I would be.

Two people contacted me. One was looking for a bed partner for his friend. The other was very nice, but was basically interested in showing me properties he owns that I might be interested in renting.

For this reason, I will no longer be posting on DR1.

Oh, and by the way. Thank you to those that I sent the PMs to. You made my decision regarding living here full time an easy one to make.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I find this to be an interesting question. I have been here since Jan 4. When I came down, I posted that I would be here and was interested in meeting other posters. I even sent a couple of PMs to people I knew were in the area where I would be.

Two people contacted me. One was looking for a bed partner for his friend. The other was very nice, but was basically interested in showing me properties he owns that I might be interested in renting.

Oh, and by the way. Thank you to those that I sent the PMs to. You made my decision regarding living here full time an easy one to make.

LOL so you think that after a few months people would rush to meet you? It takes a few years to get to know people. Try attending large public gatherings first. :)

Not sure where you are located but only staying here a few months I wouid think it would be harder to meet people. Expat bars and volunteering is how I met most of the people I know, well other than dr1 I guess.

I don't think visitors understand sometimes that if you live here you can get busy and it is not a vacay for us. . I am glad tourist season is coming to an end so my liver and I can rest a bit :).

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I find that I can go about anywhere here and make friends easily and I am not a social person. However, I really don't care to go out and meet a lot of new people. If I see you somewhere and we start talking or I get introduced to you via my existing circle of friends well then a new friendship can develop. I am not the type to go out of my way to bring cookies and such to every new poster on the board or person that arrives. I have more friends here on the island than I ever have in my life. I am full up on friends and acquaintances... I can always add a few more, but its not a on my radar to do so. On a side note, a person in life has to have thick skin to some degree. You definitely will not get your way in life always so quit looking for it and being dissapointed everywhere you go. Go for what you want but don't take it personal if its different than what "should be." Relax and do your thing...we have too few good years on the planet to not chose a better experience of life.

(I know my writing sucks)

Fraggle2

Dec 21, 2014
Fraggle2,

I'm available most days during daylight hours.

I am in Fraggle Rock bar most afternoons as I write up the accounts, but if you would like to arrange a specific date and time I could fit in with most suggestions.

Best wishes
Jenni

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Back about a dozen years ago, my wife and I bought a defunct restaurant building on the beach in Cabarete. Spent a year or so remodeling it into a house. Once it was finished, we decided to have a house warming party. We just posted an invite to
all DR1ers. At least 3 dozens folks showed up. Had a great time. Still know most of them. Most of them are not nearly as obnoxious as they appear to be on the board.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Back about a dozen years ago, my wife and I bought a defunct restaurant building on the beach in Cabarete. Spent a year or so remodeling it into a house. Once it was finished, we decided to have a house warming party. We just posted an invite to
all DR1ers. At least 3 dozens folks showed up. Had a great time. Still know most of them. Most of them are not nearly as obnoxious as they appear to be on the board.

I was at that party! It is still a highlight of my trips to Cabarete. Thanks again Tom.