holita

Jun 6, 2006
Spice Market
Spice Cafe
Spice Zone
Masala
Clove
Oscar's
Leaf (meaning Tabacco leaf and curry leaf)
Bombay Grill
Tandoori

dringa

Oct 17, 2004
Hi Guys

Thank you for the great responses - I greatly appreciate everyones participation. So, to finialize, let the guys at DR1, determine how we can choose from this great list of names, so we can have a winner. I personally like the happy hookah, but leave it upto the voting process to determine the final name. Thanks
Oscar

mcfcfan

Aug 29, 2008
Hi al
firstly can I tell you that I am a recently retired Director of Marketing for the UK, so have some professional knowlege of customer insight.
Your chosen name must:
-give the potential customer (locals, ex pats, tourists) an indication of the type of place, eg calling it "bombay" tells me it is Indian !!
-the name must be easy to spell, pronounce and find in a telephone directory
-not put of customers, eg Opium suggests drugs related and I would never come near
-not be ambiguous, eg hookah to a tourist could be translated as hooker, and again many would give a wide berth, or come for the wrong reasons and then be disappointed
-and MOST important , must not have a name with a tobacco theme. 90% of Brits do not smoke and in the UK all smoking in bars and restaurants has been barred. So majority of Brits would avaoid a place where they think it is going to be smokey.

Hope you don't think I am trying to be negative, I am not, I am only trying to helplaunch your business. There are some great creative names above, please choose one that will ATTRACT all types of customers.
ps. Any chance of an invite to your launch party please.

mcfcfan

Aug 29, 2008
Hi
re slug and lettuce. Is a good question, but this is an established national chain of pubs (that took over an existing chain and changed the name). Caters mainly for local shoppers and office workers. I have never seen a tourist in a branch in London. They are all run by managers, not caring owners. So we are talking chalk and cheese here.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
When does Happy Hookah or whatever going to open? I used to be a regular at Mi Taverna so I cant wait to go there. Will it also have tv screens to watch sports? And I would not make it to Indian/Oriental. I think that will put of the more typical beer drinking type of expads.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
First of all the bar will not be in london, it will be in santo domingo. I can imagine the majority of clients would be trendy dominicans, not expats. The hookah with a picture of hookah on the sign board would make it clear that its a trendy hookah bar where people smoke flavored tobacco. I see no confusion in any part so far. The sign should have hookah with indian tandoori delicacies served etc written on it. This will be enough to attract the interested crowd. I would imagine a name should be part dominican and part indian. example:
Humo (meaning smoke and also means being drunk in dominican spanish)

HUMO
Place a picture of hookah and then write
fine indian tandoori dishes served.

Just an idea.
AZB

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I think you are right. The concept I think will attract Dominicans more than expads. Personally I love Indian/Pakistani food. So I will come there for sure. But I think expads are more looking for a place to drink beer, watch sports and talk with other expads. yes kind of like in a pub in London.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think you are right. The concept I think will attract Dominicans more than expads. Personally I love Indian/Pakistani food. So I will come there for sure. But I think expads are more looking for a place to drink beer, watch sports and talk with other expads. yes kind of like in a pub in London.
You would be correct in your thinking if you were talking about a bar in resort area. In SD, its a whole different ball game. the clients are younger and more trendy. They want just this type of a place. Nobody just wants to sit around drink cuba libre and talk about the economy. They go to these places to drink, laugh, hear music and meet girls. Hookah bars a very popular in latin american countries and dominicans are getting a feel of it just now. There are already bars in SD that serve hookahs but this place will have the added benefit of tandoori pakistani/indian food. No one else is doing this anywhere in DR.
This concept will fly from day one.
AZB

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I dont know anything about the popularity of Hookah bars in LatAm. I agree with you AZB that Dominicans are going to like it. Young trendy etc and some foreigners especially for the food as there is not much of a variaty in SD. I think however that sometimes in the capital expads are longing for bars like the English/Irish pub kind of place that they can find in Cabarete, Sosua and punta Cana. So I am not sure the concept will atract a lot of expads. I may be wrong. Zona Colonial is the perfect place for an expad bar because you will also get the tourists. it is the best place for a Rockys bar type of place in SD.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I dont know anything about the popularity of Hookah bars in LatAm. I agree with you AZB that Dominicans are going to like it. Young trendy etc and some foreigners especially for the food as there is not much of a variaty in SD. I think however that sometimes in the capital expads are longing for bars like the English/Irish pub kind of place that they can find in Cabarete, Sosua and punta Cana. So I am not sure the concept will atract a lot of expads. I may be wrong. Zona Colonial is the perfect place for an expad bar because you will also get the tourists. it is the best place for a Rockys bar type of place in SD.

expats in SD are not the same as in sosua. 2 different worlds all together. Expats in SD are not there for the same reason as expats in sosua.
AZB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Nice marketing lessons from AZB there, I am a Dominican that lives in Santo Domingo (not sure if trendy) and I agree with everything he has said so far...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I dont know why anyone else discussed it really arent we stupid for having opinions when there is a giant brain out there

Reactions: Chirimoya

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I think a Hookah bar is a great idea. But I also think someone who opens an Irish/English pub in the Colonial Zone will do great. Or is there already something like that in SD that I dont know of??

mcfcfan

Aug 29, 2008
Hi
please can I emphasis I am not advocating the type of customer that Oscar should attarct, that is Oscar's decision. I know little about the bar trade. I presume Oscar wants to make a profit from his business, therefore he needs to decide how he will maximise his customers/revenue/profit. Is that from Domincans, expat or mix of both.
However I feel confident in believing that a "hookah" based name will not attract expats. If Oscar doesn't want them and wants only Dominicans then "hookah" is great.
Vice versa "Irish theme" would certainly attract expats (I was in a very crowded Irish Bar in Bangkok recently, full of wealthy tourists), but may not be best for Dominicans.
The name of the bar will go a long way in determining the punters, with reputation being the most important.
I rest my case m'lud.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I wonder what is the percentage of expat clientele in santo domingo in bar businesses? I bet its less than 10%. Now I am also sure if a business is directed towards only expats then be prepared to deal with the headaches that comes along with the reputation. The hookers will be invited hand in hand with the expats. Show me an expat bar and I will show you a hooker bar in the same place. There are exceptions but even then you will see hookers sitting with expats, pretending to be their girlfriends. This concept will not fly in santo domingo at all. I do agree, expats should be invited in to the location but the ones who are not coming out of resort environment mindset. There are plenty of expats living in SD and many tourists and business men who come to SD would certainly take a peek into the restaurant. I am sure oscar knows what he wants out of his new venture. I think he will make the right choice.
One more note: Its not the expats who spend insane amount of money in places like Sd and santiago. The expats only drink cuba libres and beer, while the Dominicans drink the fancy expensive liquor and order food which could only be reserved for VIP. I can show you this anywhere in santiago at any day.
AZB