Miami to Santo Domingo? Might as well!

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Thanks for all the replies guys! I've tried Spanish classes 4 times in Miami and it just doesn't stick. Between work, family, and friends, I just don't make the time to study outside of class. And while there are plenty of Spanish speakers here, practicing with them breaks down pretty quickly when most can just explain things somewhat reasonably in English. By moving to DR, I'll be forced to learn, practice, and hopefully, retain!

By the way, any suggestions for making friends (locals and expats) in Santo Domingo? I'm in my early 30s and plan to live in Gascue, Piantini, or Naco.

No Spanish without study! Not any language without study. This from someone who speaks and writes four.
What I mean to say is, please don't think that because just living here you will learn it because everybody speaks Spanish. Some foreigners never studied Spanish and they THINK they speak it but it sounds horrible.
Welcome!!

Last edited:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
No Spanish without study! Not any language without study. This from someone who speaks and writes four.
What I mean to say is, please don't think that because just living here you will learn it because everybody speaks Spanish. Some foreigners never studied Spanish and they THINK they speak it but it sounds horrible.
Welcome!!

Right and lots of study. I have known a couple of people that think they can "pick it up" By watching TV in Spanish!
Der Fish

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Welcome!!
Unless you're quite young.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I can not imagine a worse place to learn good spanish than Santo Domingo ,unless you go to a special school .Few can speak it correctly in SD and even fewer write it .Far better to go to Peru or to Colombia if you are really serious about it. At least they can pronounce the vowels, finish the words correctly and can use the subjunctive and conditional . But here you will learn the language of the uneducated ..it is interesting and mildly amusing .
I notice where you wish to live .. well, good luck

Writing well is a big problem in the RD, subjunctive not, in my opinion, it's a must.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....find the right chica....spend a lot of time with her, you will lean......Doc.....

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
I can not imagine a worse place to learn good spanish than Santo Domingo ,unless you go to a special school .Few can speak it correctly in SD and even fewer write it .Far better to go to Peru or to Colombia if you are really serious about it. At least they can pronounce the vowels, finish the words correctly and can use the subjunctive and conditional . But here you will learn the language of the uneducated ..it is interesting and mildly amusing .
I notice where you wish to live .. well, good luck

Peru and colombia??? hahaha are you a native spanish speaker?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You will definitely achieved both of your motivations in the DR however just remember if you stay a year you will have to pay exit fines when you leave. Your tourist card is good for 30 days and you can extend it but without residency be prepared to cough up some pesos at the airport. Also when you make your airline reservation most will require you to buy a round trip ticket. You will have to get a return ticket that you can change or cancel without a penalty. Ya no estas en South Beach!!! Buenos Suarte'.

Suarte ? Are you getting him off to a bad start learning Spanish ? Or were you referring to his art - 'su arte'?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Right and lots of study. I have known a couple of people that think they can "pick it up" By watching TV in Spanish!
Der Fish

Yes it isn't easy but worth it. However to learn Spanish I would not choose the DR - Costa Rica or Colombia speak a cleaner less slang version and so much clearer.