Migration Announcement:No Cash for Overstay Fee

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Not only PUJ, La Romana too. Maybe starting where there are less “offenders”? I’d bet Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo have more overstayers. Not sure about Santiago.
Those are private airports (open to the public). Maybe they offered (Grupo Punta Cana and Central Romana) to pay part of the cost to expedite it. Cibao is privately owned but currently going through an expensive expansion that they will 100% pay.

Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata are government owned, though Vinci Airports is responsible for doing their upgrades. Since the government owns them, whatever Vinci decides or is told to do requires approval from Congress. That can take a while. PC and LR don't need approval from Congress, they just need approval from their respective private companies boards and/or their main shareholders.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Super Easy and they have become "nice" in the office. I was in and out within an hour last Wednesday.

A lot of government departments have become much much slicker under Abinader, there have been big changes. But we digress...

Reactions: windeguy

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I was told by a Migración officer the other day that they are all now working on rotation - a week in SDQ then a week in PUJ, then a week somewhere else - and this was mainly to stop corruption. Like they do with the police in the capital, keep moving them around to stop cosy little cliques forming. I would imagine that not accepting cash is another step in this journey, much harder for people to do dodgy deals if no cash is offered.

I was screamed at - almost literally - in Migracion because I got my purse out in the office (to get my money ready to pay). The lady who was dealing with me said they had cameras and if anyone saw me taking money out in her office she would be in serious serious doo-doo. So I think this is definitely a thing and part of the overall move to eliminate corruption.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Rotating people from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana and elsewhere won't work well. How many hours to abd from work will those people end up travelling? Totally impractical to do that. I applaud attempts to stop corruption, but not that one on a weekly basis.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Want take long until the first "oficials" brings their private verifone and you might get a Receipt from "Burito Food Truck".

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
All of this is nonsense.
If you don't have a card to pay your exit fee with
who's on this forum is willing to bet me they won't accept cash?
Give me a freaking break.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy