Mira perra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morena76

May 10, 2005
Thanks...

I didn't know my question would cause such a stir. ;) Anyway, I'm going to assume the term was a compliment, like several others suggested, given the context. And to all those who said that only uneducated people with no class refer to women as b*tches, allow me to paste:

In simple terms: girls in back home are 100% pure b1tches from hell.
AZB

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
NotLurking...

... I know exactly what you mean.
My son, even though Swedish by birth, fluent in Spanish and raised in Puerto Plata the last 6 years...is soon to turn 15 and he knows each and every song of reggaeton.... Has downloaded it on cds, knows the lyrics..
Teens will be teens, we don?t approve of all, we don?t accept it all, but we need to try to change what we can and accept what we cannot change... and learn to see the difference!
This fashion of music is not something we can take away from them, even if we wanted, we can - as you said talk and explain - but that?s it.
Take a look here for instance http://www.reggaetonlyrics.com.
This is the world today! When I was young it was ABBA, Sweet, Donna Summer etc etc
( Wow - time flies... ).. and I am sure my parents did not approve of titles even on ABBA lyrics like "Rock me" or " Honey, Honey how you thrill me" or "Gimme,gimme a man after midnight"... Or Tina Charles "I love to love" and so on...
Every generation of parents get their piece of the cake!

;) ;)

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
I agree its all over music, but it doesn't make it appropriate to repeat. Today I asked my boyfriend who is spanish born and raised, and he asked me if someone had called me that and I said no. then he said good because if someone had called you that they would be calling you something bad and he would have been angry. Maybe the guys ment it as a compliment maybe not. Moral of the story is, it may mean on thing in one place but it means something else is another place, unless you want to take the chance of getting yourself into trouble its probabley best to not say it at all.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
mofi said:
I agree its all over music, but it doesn't make it appropriate to repeat. Today I asked my boyfriend who is spanish born and raised, and he asked me if someone had called me that and I said no. then he said good because if someone had called you that they would be calling you something bad and he would have been angry. Maybe the guys ment it as a compliment maybe not. Moral of the story is, it may mean on thing in one place but it means something else is another place, unless you want to take the chance of getting yourself into trouble its probabley best to not say it at all.

Mofi - No one said it is.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
mofi said:

Mofi, I'll address this one last time in hopes that you will understand that it is not a class thing. In fact, it is neither regional nor a country thing. In any case, you need to be open minded to fully understand what I and others have been trying to convey. Judging people based on cultural or class differences is not only wrong but also demonstrates a level of ignorance and intolerance typical of people with a superiority complex. I hope that's not how you've been perceiving this. In any event, I think Carina made some good points, but again, you refuse to accept or 'understand' and are fixated on your initial view. You're not even willing to acknowledge the widespread effect of regaeton and the effect its lyrics is having on youth every where it's being heard. Let me ask you, have you noticed how teens are dressing today? Why do you think they are dressing this way? Do you have an idea of how widespread the BIG clothing (jeans and jerseys) is? If you can understand the answer to previous questions WITHOUT JUDGING anyone, you should have no trouble understanding the evolving reggaeton slang.

Whether we want it or not, like it or not, approve of it or not, culture changes. Sometimes for the better but more often then not, for the worst. In this instance it has been for the worst both with the clothing teens are wearing and the music they are listening to. Unfortunately, this atmosphere has the ability to complete the thug persona, with slag and all (oh, our poor teens). We can try to shelter and educate our kids all day long however, it is ridiculous to pretend kids wont get exposed to what most of us consider bad 'culture'. Let's not forget the effects of peer pressure. I guess we were ALL teens at some point and can relate to how difficult it was for us between being cool, hip and our parents.

All in all and despite all the nasty things going on in the world today, I think kids here in the DR are doing OK. The worst they're exposed to is REGGAETON or the occasional use of slag (PERRA) that is less than appropriate. I'm proud of my son, his school work and his concern about others less fortunate than him....even if on occasions he might use slang I'm not in agreement with. In fact, I'm quite please with most Dominican youth on a personal level. They usually are very curious and polite. Should I dismiss them as low class citizens for saying, PERREO, PERREA, PERREAR, PERRO or PERRA? I think not!

NotLurking

Last edited:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
That was my point too that I tried to get thru..
Everyone has agreed those words of slang are not OK, but they do exist.
Thanks NotLurking for having the patience to explain all one more time over again!
;)

NotLurking said:
Mofi, I'll address this one last time in hopes that you will understand that it is not a class thing. In fact, it is neither regional nor a country thing. In any case, you need to be open minded to fully understand what I and others have been trying to convey. Judging people based on cultural or class differences is not only wrong but also demonstrates a level of ignorance and intolerance typical of people with a superiority complex. I hope that's not how you've been perceiving this. In any event, I think Carina made some good points, but again, you refuse to accept or 'understand' and are fixated on your initial view. You're not even willing to acknowledge the widespread effect of regaeton and the effect its lyrics is having on youth every where it's being heard. Let me ask you, have you noticed how teens are dressing today? Why do you think they are dressing this way? Do you have an idea of how widespread the BIG clothing (jeans and jerseys) is? If you can understand the answer to previous questions WITHOUT JUDGING anyone, you should have no trouble understanding the evolving reggaeton slang.

Whether we want it or not, like it or not, approve of it or not, culture changes. Sometimes for the better but more often then not, for the worst. In this instance it has been for the worst both with the clothing teens are wearing and the music they are listening to. Unfortunately, this atmosphere has the ability to complete the thug persona, with slag and all (oh, our poor teens). We can try to shelter and educate our kids all day long however, it is ridiculous to pretend kids wont get exposed to what most of us consider bad 'culture'. Let's not forget the effects of peer pressure. I guess we were ALL teens at some point and can relate to how difficult it was for us between being cool, hip and our parents.

All in all and despite all the nasty things going on in the world today, I think kids here in the DR are doing OK. The worst they're exposed to is REGGAETON or the occasional use of slag (PERRA) that is less than appropriate. I'm proud of my son, his school work and his concern about others less fortunate than him....even if on occasions he might use slang I'm not in agreement with. In fact, I'm quite please with most Dominican youth on a personal level. They usually are very curious and polite. Should I dismiss them as low class citizens for saying, PERREO, PERREA, PERREAR, PERRO or PERRA? I think not!

NotLurking

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
NotLurking said:

NotLurking
Incase you didn't read my last post i never said to dismiss them, i said in order to avoid confusion, and a possible problem you may wish to speak in another manner with people that you don't know??? Is that really so hard to understand.
Here is an english example. When my friends are acting crazy i call them "Crackers" like they've been doing crack, well a few days ago I said that to someone who didn't know me as well, and they assumed that I was using it as a racial slur. Point being, things can be misconstrued by different people so if your not speaking with your friends, you may wish to use other language.

s1m0ne

Mar 9, 2005
Hello!

I've never posted anything in this forum but have been reading every once in a while...

Now I would like to say something: I think we should all accept that language changes with time.

I just had this conversation with my parents about some words that me and my sister started using when we were about 15, and I remember my mom almost slapping me because that word, for her, was a really nasty word. But we used it in a completely different context and didn't even really know it's original meaning... it took time for my parents to get used to us girls using these words, and meanwhile they are so integrated in our language that even my parents use some of them sometimes. These words have completely lost their original meaning and I guess my generation still knows what they once meant but we never used them in that context, my parents generation knows exactly what they used to mean and it took a long time for them to get used to the different meaning, and people 10 years younger than me will probably not ever know what they used to mean but just the now-applicable meaning... (I hope I'm making sense since I have to talk around it because I'm swiss and it won't mean anything to anyone if I mention the words ;) ).

So, maybe that word "perra" has not gotten as far as "everyone knows its "new" meaning and can try to accept it as a slang-word" yet, so there is still that gap between people who use it in a "good" way and people who are really disgusted by hearing it.

Anyways, I think people shouldn't judge other people by the words they use because lots of words have nothing to do with class but with meanings that totally change from one generation to the next...

;)
Simone

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Welcome to the board S1m0ne!
I agree.. and that was my point mentioning some of the artists I sang along to "some years ago".. Time changes, and every generation have their own habits and words!
My son would not use the word "perra" at all, otherwise than when singing his reggaeton music.. but if he did, or other words I might not even be aware of, he would use them in the sense and meaning of "his world" if you know what I mean..

And also generally in languages this differs, in culture I mean and therefor in meaning. I am Swedish, and in Swedish it would not be possible to use ( translated to Swedish of course ) the words perra, cono etc as often as I hear them here.
Words that are used in society in Russia and in their language, would be completely impossible for me to even think of using in a supermarket in Sweden etc etc..
But there is culture, generations and gaps between us as you said!

Nice post! ;)

project9

May 29, 2004
Gringos stop sweating your boxers over such a simple thing. "Perra" alone means bitch, but when you say "mira esa perra" usually it means to look at a woman who's very atractive and is dressed in a provocative manner. Both terms are used in all spheres of the dominican society.

p.s.: The term was adopted even before reggaeton became widely popular, so its widespread use has little to do with reggaeton.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
project9 said:
Gringos stop sweating your boxers over such a simple thing. "Perra" alone means bitch, but when you say "mira esa perra" usually it means to look at a woman who's very atractive and is dressed in a provocative manner. Both terms are used in all spheres of the dominican society.

p.s.: The term was adopted even before reggaeton became widely popular, so its widespread use has little to do with reggaeton.

If you read the postings, that is what has been said and discussed by us
"gringos". That it is of culturual heritage. Reggaeton has alot to do with it, as this word ( and of course many more ) is far more known and also used in lower ages.

It is great that you come an add your input, that?s the meaning and fun with a board, but please don?t come as a teacher with the "answers".
To any discussion topic, the answers, views, input are many, it is not just white and black honey.

Morena76

May 10, 2005
Thank you!

project9 said:
"Perra" alone means bitch, but when you say "mira esa perra" usually it means to look at a woman who's very atractive and is dressed in a provocative manner.

Thanks...I thought I asked a simple question and I was looking for a simple answer. Finally got it, days later. Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.