Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
forget rewriting the rules!

XanaduRanch said:
That's three more posts and nothing of substance. What's the problem? Is it that difficult to have an opinion on the subject?

... still waiting ... !

Yeah, we're all still waiting. To clarify the matter -- the rules are a moot point here. Your understanding of the topic is sorely lacking. Here is the question -- "Do you have anything to say about the Dominican media spinning the Venezuela situation in favor of the Chavez goverment?" Simple question - you don't have to debate Chavez or his government - simply debate the spin in the Dominican media. Simple enough eh! Now that the assignment is clear, can you kindly trot off and go and do it? and possibly come back with a cohesive and a coherent reply if possible.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
After three days I'd say you won that bet Chris. Not a peep out of her. And I thought she had it in her too. Not! Lee, you disappointed me. Well, where shall I deliver the champagne?

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
I hear this film is very informative about the Coup attempt in Venezuela . . . .

Pib, I'm glad you gave me free had to talk about who Chaves is, I'm sure seeing the below mentioned film will be enlightening to all that see it. Shows how the media was the most important part of the coup attemp. It also talks about how when Chaves was given a choice to surrender or have his presidential compound bombed and all inside possibly killed, he handed him self over to the coup members.

"The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" is a feature length documentary on Hugo Chavez, President of Venezuela. Over the course of 7 months, from January to July 2002, the filmmakers secured unprecedented access to film Chavez in his daily life. During this time, there was a coup and the filmmakers were the only crew inside the presidential palace at the time. They were also the first there for his triumphant return some 48 hours later.On the 11th April 2002, the world awoke to the news that President Hugo Chavez had been removed from office and had been replaced by a new self-appointed "interim" government. News report after news report carried stories of the mayhem in Caracas, where 11 people had been killed in what were alleged to have been bloody street battles between Chavez supporters and an opposition march.Viewers all over the world were led to believe that Chavez had ordered the killings, and had therefore been forced to resign.What had in fact took place was the first coup of the twenty first century, and the world's first media coup."The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" is a thrilling insight into President Chavez and the power of globalized media.

Here is another breif description of the film . . .

Main opposition parties in Venezuela organized a petition against the film and garnered 7,000 signatures.

The documentary tells the tale of one of the shortest Presidential overthrows in Latin American history. On April 11, 2002, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez was removed from power by a coalition of military officials and business leaders. But the attempted coup d?etat failed and Chavez returned to office two days later.

The documentary?s two Irish filmmakers Kim Bartley and Donnacha O'Briain happened to be in the Presidential Palace both when Chavez was removed and when he returned.

-Lee

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Does any one have any comments about the Film?

After weeks, the silence is deafening here. Tell it's a lie, tell me it's the trurth, tell me you don't know. I have no idea what this is, because it is my only source about what happened during the coup attempt. One story I did hear is that after they got rid of Chaves, they wanted the boy who plays the bugle when the president comes out, to play it for the person who was installed, and he refused saying "if you want the bugle to play, play it yourself".

some true humor . . . .

Editted to add: The clip I provided seems to hint that the person installed took some horrible decsions to suppress unrest after he was installed (this is an acusation made by a newspaper/reporter highly critical of Chaves). This part of the coup remains a mistery to me, what did Pedro Carmona (the installed president do).

Editted to add:

I did a google search: this is not about the coup it's self but talks about the fact that Chaves might have had advanced warning about the coup attempt, and that the comments made on the film about the CIA being concerned about the 3rd largest suppliers actions "not being in the best intrest of the US" is re-enforced by this link.

Chaves advanced warning?

Editted to add:

This quote is from a non-copyrighted article that seems to contradict things said on this site, any comments on this article or the subject in general clarifying this statement or others is welcome.

Opposition charges

What lies behind this extraordinary sequel of events? Why has Venezuela been close to civil war for the past two years? The ?Democratic Coordination? that has spearheaded successive swarming assaults on the President leaves no doubt of its vision of the dangers facing the country. Ch?vez threatens its people with ?Castro-Communism?, a totalitarian dictatorship that has trampled on human rights and brought Venezuelans to the brink of ruin. Milder versions of the same general conception form the standard image of Ch?vez?s regime purveyed by the international media at large. No matter how often they are repeated, these charges are quite spurious. Under Ch?vez?s rule, there are no political prisoners, and there is no censorship. Citizens enjoy nearly total freedom of assembly: demonstrations blocking important installations or freeways are treated far more leniently than under most US city governments. The mass media pour out attacks against the government on a round-the-clock basis, of a virulence unthinkable in Europe or North America.

The above article is rather one sided I think, but the points it makes about the media seems to be reconfirmed by the "The Revolution Will Not be Televied" film which I nicknamed the "Lytex Revolution" film. I'm am confused about the silence on this subject . . . .

-Lee

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.