easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
First off I would like to say this board is great, and very well run.

I've often wondered.... how someone can be a MODERATOR and give proper responses on a certain topic, meanwhile not living in the country?

It would seem to me that would have to be secondhand news issue, and for the most part you can throw that out the window for that reason.

It's kind of like being in a profession from one country to another, without knowing the standards? So how can you give an honest observation firsthand?

Even if you lived in DR for 20 years....... but were gone for 5 or 10, there is no way you can be up to date..... other than the secondhand news.;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Let me see if I can answer your questions.

To be a moderator you have to apply to DR1.com ,it's a long slow process and the screening is unbelievable :laugh: but somehow they pick the right people for the job. :)

Now let's see.

Hillbilly DR Debates ......he has lived in the DR for a million years

carlos... Airline Info.....is Dominican

Chris....... Living, Weather & Beyond ...Christa lives in the DR

Cleef Dominican Baseball .....Read the newspaper, one doesn't need to be in the DR to know what goes on in baseball

El Tigre.... General stuff, The Clown Bin ....lives in the DR

Fabio J. Guzman Legal .....professional laywer...lives is DR

Central, East Coast, General, North Coast, North East Coast, Santo Domingo, South Coast, South West Coast, The Rendezvous Point, Travel Directions, Trip reports, see below

FireGuy...Travels mucho and has been involved with travel info for many years at Debbie's travel.

Hlywud...... Travels mucho and has been involved with travel info for many years at Debbie's travel. He also looks after the picture gallery

Keith R Environment........Keith is involved in this kind of business and deals with many Latin countries

Pib..... DR Debates... what can I say about the Goddess she's Dominicana

Rick Snyder DR Debates, The BEST of the DR....Rick helps out a lot while Pib has been busy with baby

AnnaC .... Men from mars and women from venus,

Sankie 101..... what can I say? One needs patience and lots of it. We had mars/venus first than sankie forum was added so that people that aren't interested in the subject can now just skip over the whole thing. You don't need to be there to know the scams that go on and if I've had any experience with sankies I certainly don't need to tell you about it. ;)

We also have many articles and threads that have been provided by many caring people on the warning signs of how to spot a sankie

Spanish 101.....I asked Robert for a place to practice some Spanish and Lesley D has provided us with so much more which I'm very grateful for.

Administrators

Dolores ...She's one of the owners and lives in DR

Robert....not sure how he got this job but what the heck;)

If I missed anyone or any info please add

Anything else?

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
easygoin said:
First off I would like to say this board is great, and very well run.

I've often wondered.... how someone can be a MODERATOR and give proper responses on a certain topic, meanwhile not living in the country?
Who says moderators have to give 'proper' responses? We're mostly just the clean-up crew and sometimes we try to contribute something 'meaningful' in-between cleanups.... ;)

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
AnnaC said:
Let me see if I can answer your questions.

To be a moderator you have to apply to DR1.com ,it's a long slow process and the screening is unbelievable :laugh: but somehow they pick the right people for the job. :)

Now let's see.

Hillbilly DR Debates ......he has lived in the DR for a million years

carlos... Airline Info.....is Dominican

Chris....... Living, Weather & Beyond ...Christa lives in the DR

Cleef Dominican Baseball .....Read the newspaper, one doesn't need to be in the DR to know what goes on in baseball

El Tigre.... General stuff, The Clown Bin ....lives in the DR

Fabio J. Guzman Legal .....professional laywer...lives is DR

Central, East Coast, General, North Coast, North East Coast, Santo Domingo, South Coast, South West Coast, The Rendezvous Point, Travel Directions, Trip reports, see below

FireGuy...Travels mucho and has been involved with travel info for many years at Debbie's travel.

Hlywud...... Travels mucho and has been involved with travel info for many years at Debbie's travel. He also looks after the picture gallery

Keith R Environment........Keith is involved in this kind of business and deals with many Latin countries

Pib..... DR Debates... what can I say about the Goddess she's Dominicana

Rick Snyder DR Debates, The BEST of the DR....Rick helps out a lot while Pib has been busy with baby

AnnaC .... Men from mars and women from venus,

Sankie 101..... what can I say? One needs patience and lots of it. We had mars/venus first than sankie forum was added so that people that aren't interested in the subject can now just skip over the whole thing. You don't need to be there to know the scams that go on and if I've had any experience with sankies I certainly don't need to tell you about it. ;)

We also have many articles and threads that have been provided by many caring people on the warning signs of how to spot a sankie

Spanish 101.....I asked Robert for a place to practice some Spanish and Lesley D has provided us with so much more which I'm very grateful for.

Administrators

Dolores ...She's one of the owners and lives in DR

Robert....not sure how he got this job but what the heck;)

If I missed anyone or any info please add

Anything else?

That is still not an answer to my question...... you produce names of 60% living in the Dominican Republic.

My question is again how can someone know the DR without living in a country.;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
easygoin said:
That is still not an answer to my question...... you produce names of 60% living in the Dominican Republic.

You're only allowed to ask the same question twice, if you're a proderator.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Chris said:
Who says moderators have to give 'proper' responses? We're mostly just the clean-up crew and sometimes we try to contribute something 'meaningful' in-between cleanups.... ;)

Chris, you have been so helpful to so many people.;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
easygoin said:

The most important forums that need moderators that live in the DR are covered. That's why I gave you the list.

And we have a wealth of info from our members that are living there as well.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
easygoin said:

Anna C mamasita linda I don't live in the DR. I wish.

I live in NYC but I'm down in Santiago (my birth place) every two or three months anddddd I read 6 Dominican newspapers on a daily basis. On top of that I am in constant communication with my folks in the DR either by IM or phone.

This still doesn't make me an expert on DR issues and I don't intend to. This is a board about all things Dominican. Sooo I just go with the flow and only post when I think I have something meaningful to say.

Hope this better answers your question.

Regards,
El Tigre

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
El Tigre said:
Anna C mamasita linda I don't live in the DR. I wish.

I live in NYC but I'm down in Santiago (my birth place) every two or three months anddddd I read 6 Dominican newspapers on a daily basis. On top of that I am in constant communication with my folks in the DR either by IM or phone.

This still doesn't make me an expert on DR issues and I don't intend to. This is a board about all things Dominican. Sooo I just go with the flow and only post when I think I have something meaningful to say.

Hope this better answers your question.

Regards,
El Tigre
Thanks for your honesty El Tigre. The question by Easygoing is a question that I have asked myself. I think its an important and relevant question. The question revealed that sometimes the moderators need to be up to date on information. We should be aware that sometimes answers and advices given in this forum are not written in stone. If an answer seems a bit off we should research the topic ourselves. Especially with the internet at our fingertips. I am sure the moderators have helped lots of us, and to those GRACIAS. By the way Easygoing's question is still not fully answered.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I thought the moderators were there to keep us from breaking the rules.
All the extra work, research and of course the pay, those are above and beyond. :)
mkohn
Maybe at this point we should send out a well deserved thanks for all you do.
Thanks moderators. :bunny:
mk

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Bingo...

mkohn said:
I thought the moderators were there to keep us from breaking the rules.
All the extra work, research and of course the pay, those are above and beyond. :)
mkohn
Maybe at this point we should send out a well deserved thanks for all you do.
Thanks moderators. :bunny:
mk
You just won the prize.
There's a big difference between a moderator and a resident expert.
Moderators keep things in order.
Experts give all the correct answers, and then there's a lot of mumbo jumbo in between.
Living in the DR does not qualify a person to know when to intervene in a thread.
Good common sense is the quality needed, and a lot of patience, devotion, willingness to work for free, etc.....

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Back to school

Moderators are like the principals of the classroom, the teachers (the "live-there's") are like HB, Robert, et al.

The rest of us are loading the straws with spitballs, waiting for the new kids to come in and ask "I want to move to the DR, how do I do it...."

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I'm not sure if easygoin got the answer to the question asked, but I sure did. If I didn't know what a modertor was before I sure do now.

Thanks guys.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
if you ask those whose post have been deleted or altered (censured) in any way, they are more likely to be called 'bloody murderators'... ;-)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Cleef said:
Moderators are like the principals of the classroom, the teachers (the "live-there's") are like HB, Robert, et al.

The rest of us are loading the straws with spitballs, waiting for the new kids to come in and ask "I want to move to the DR, how do I do it...."
And sometimes the moderators take away our spitballs... :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And sometimes we spit back!! :p:p:p

Oh, and the pay?...........don't tell uncle Sam about the pay!!

Hi, all y'alls!

HB :D:D:D

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
OP’s questions that were asked were;

“I've often wondered.... how someone can be a MODERATOR and give proper responses on a certain topic, meanwhile not living in the country?”

“It's kind of like being in a profession from one country to another, without knowing the standards?”

“So how can you give an honest observation firsthand?”

DR1 is a board made up of many members. It is our job as board members to try to help and enlighten those people looking for help or information on matters concerning the Dominican Republic. Some of the board members are experts in their field and know a lot. Others, like me, don’t know much but have lived here a few days and have a little experience in some matters and we try to pass on that experience to those that ask.

Each forum has a set of rules posted in them and it is our responsibility as board members to follow those rules but sometimes we get ugly headed and stray off set rules.

The owner/s of this board do not have the time to police all the forums to insure the rules are followed so (moderators) are chosen as a means to insure that rules are followed as to posting on this board.

Rick