Monday's later games: VEN/PUR y USA/KOREA

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Careful

Potato_Salad said:
Hee Sup Choi with a 3-run shot!!!!!!!!!!!! OOPS THERE IT IS!!! OOOPS THERE IT IS!!! :D :bunny: :chinese:

Korea 6, USA 1

rc8umw.jpg
Enjoy it while it lasts. Still a few outs to get.

I've only seen highlights (live) on ESPN, but the Koreans appear to be pitching 'lights-out'.

B.K. Kim? Puhhleez, where's that stuff been the past few years?

12 outs to go!

We'll see what the Americans are made out of in the next hour.

MeRod looks brutal.

Odd choice in bringing in Dan Wheeler - or leaving him in. Hee-Seop Choi has faced him before; 3-run dong.

That's why Buck Martinez is a broadcaster, and not an MLB manager.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
Enjoy it while it lasts. Still a few outs to get.

I've only seen highlights (live) on ESPN, but the Koreans appear to be pitching 'lights-out'.

B.K. Kim? Puhhleez, where's that stuff been the past few years?

12 outs to go!

We'll see what the Americans are made out of in the next hour.

MeRod looks brutal.

Odd choice in bringing in Dan Wheeler - or leaving him in. Hee-Seop Choi has faced him before; 3-run dong.

That's why Buck Martinez is a broadcaster, and not an MLB manager.

EXACTLY, and which is why the Toronto Blue Jays fired him. LOL ;)

But like you said, the game is not over yet. After all, the US scored 6 runs in one inning against Canada.

12 outs to go. :bunny:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Top of the 7th innning

Korea 7
USA 1

This game is not over yet. I know how great the U.S. team is.

9 more outs to go.

Vernon Wells and Derek Jeter are up next.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Three more outs to go.

Korea 7
USA 1

Korea is currently, the only undefeated team in the tournament.

The number of runs the Korean bullpen has given up during the entire tournament ---> 1

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
KOREA BEATS THE UNITED STATES 7-3!!! :bunny: :chinese: :cool: :D

KOREA is the ONLY unbeaten team in the tournament.

Like I have said, "Never underestimate an underdog." <--Listen up Ichiro!!!

rciyif.jpg

rciyki.jpg

rciyo4.jpg

rcj19u.jpg

rcj1hf.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2005
Can someone explain what the hell happened? Is Korea really that good at baseball? Was last year a fluke for Dontrelle? He hasn't shown anything during the classic. I guess he's not in pitching shape yet.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Amazing. I'd like to know exactly how many months of the year these Koreans play baseball! I thought soccer was your sport. Congratulations to the Koreans. I'll say it again - amazing! And congrats Potato Salad. When you kept bringing up the Koreans at the beginning of the tournament, I kept saying, "yah, whatever, nation pride. He's like me. Not a chance in hell of my team advancing, but I'll still cheer for them. They may get out of their round, but that's as far as they're going." Now, I'm listening.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Without question, hats off to the Koreans!!!

They represented themselves and their country very well. They played sound fundamental baseball and deserved the win.

Now for the US team, who is this Buck Martinez loser? Look at the production of the USA lineups and pitching in their wins, against those in their losses. The ability to manage all the talent that he has is sorely lacking. Yes, some of the players have not delivered in clutch situations, but this dude has failed to manufacture a single run during the entire WBC. It's either long ball or nothing.

As for pitching, Dontrelle Willis doesn't have it. Why not pull him after a few innings? Then when you pull him, what with these replacement choices? The bullpen has done well, after they settle down. However, they have served up their share as well. The stats don't tell the story.

Unfortunately, the USA team is treating the WBC as spring training, where EVERYONE must get their work, as opposed to trying to put forth the best team, game after game. Seems like winning is secondary.

Now watch the best USA team get fielded on Thursday, and the USA offense produce as it's capable of, with Clemens pitching. Then wonder why this team can't do it every game.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Frank the Tank said:
Can someone explain what the hell happened? Is Korea really that good at baseball? Was last year a fluke for Dontrelle? He hasn't shown anything during the classic. I guess he's not in pitching shape yet.

Dontrelle was not himself last night. I agree with you. I also think that he is not in pitching shape yet.

I expected more from Team USA.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
trina said:
Amazing. I'd like to know exactly how many months of the year these Koreans play baseball! I thought soccer was your sport. Congratulations to the Koreans. I'll say it again - amazing! And congrats Potato Salad. When you kept bringing up the Koreans at the beginning of the tournament, I kept saying, "yah, whatever, nation pride. He's like me. Not a chance in hell of my team advancing, but I'll still cheer for them. They may get out of their round, but that's as far as they're going." Now, I'm listening.

Thank you for your kind words! :classic:

My Korean friend told me that these players were training together as a team since last November.

The regular baseball season in Korea begins in late April and ends in early October (similar to the U.S.)

Julio Franco and Carlos Baerga used to play in Korea. :bunny:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
toneloc24 said:
They represented themselves and their country very well. They played sound fundamental baseball and deserved the win.

Now for the US team, who is this Buck Martinez loser? Look at the production of the USA lineups and pitching in their wins, against those in their losses. The ability to manage all the talent that he has is sorely lacking. Yes, some of the players have not delivered in clutch situations, but this dude has failed to manufacture a single run during the entire WBC. It's either long ball or nothing.

As for pitching, Dontrelle Willis doesn't have it. Why not pull him after a few innings? Then when you pull him, what with these replacement choices? The bullpen has done well, after they settle down. However, they have served up their share as well. The stats don't tell the story.

Unfortunately, the USA team is treating the WBC as spring training, where EVERYONE must get their work, as opposed to trying to put forth the best team, game after game. Seems like winning is secondary.

Now watch the best USA team get fielded on Thursday, and the USA offense produce as it's capable of, with Clemens pitching. Then wonder why this team can't do it every game.

Thank you for your kind words. :classic:

I also do not like the decision Buck Martinez has made. No wonder the Toronto Blue Jays fired him a few years ago. LOL :D