Montana to North Coast ...where do we buy good beef?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I agree, the pork and chicken are delicious here....

The beef is great in taste if in a savoury beer stew...

And if living near the coast, the great wahu, dorado, etc...

BelgianK

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I agree, the pork and chicken are delicious here....

The beef is great in taste if in a savoury beer stew...

And if living near the coast, the great wahu, dorado, etc...

BelgianK

Same for you too. Maybe you guys could let me know in advance if you're in a bad mood...

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I was in las Galeras last year and the gringo who was running the place went to price mart in Sdomingo and we had steaks done for 22 people the Starks were fabulous as you could have heard pain drop ! The quality was excellent , the Dominican girl who cooked them was superb too!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The problem with Dominican beef has less to do with hormone supplements and more to do with lack of proper "feed lots." They just drag a steer or cow off the fields and butcher it. Beef here is rarely, if ever, corn or grain fed in large quantities and movements limited in the weeks prior to slaughter. They aren't fattened up.

Fat is what makes meat tasty and tender.

The cost of grain or corn here is way too high and volume of consumers who'd pay the higher cost way too few.

Once in a while you can get a decent cut of filet, but it's random at best.

And I agree with ww: most butchers just hack away. I've never had a conversation with a butcher, but I cannot identify what the various cuts are in the supermarket case. In the states I could easily. Beef on the hoof is processed very differently here...

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If you are LUCKY ENOUGH to live in Santiago............
Like said before, National has great imported rib eye steaks..........today,490 DP per pound...
Sometimes on sale for 440......

B in Santiago