monthly car rental santiago $30k-$35k range

alaska1986

I am here in santiago looking to rent a car for a month. Looking for something decent on gas, the streets in santiago arent that bad but id prefer something high up off the groud

Who do you recommend and why. please give me phone numbers im looking to buy tomorrow

The only problem i foresee is that I will be opening a bank account here and I will need my passport, I believe I will be issued a card from there on out so I shouldnt need it again

I verified (Ive travelled internationally before and used this btw) I have $50,000 insurance on my visa signature card that covers the car im in an accident with my car and any personal or property injury. While that isnt alot I think its sufficient for my rental.

I called avis at the airport and the monthly rate for something like a honda civic was $750 which is great the problem is when I go to the airport they want to hold $2,000 on my credit card which i dont have. I mean i could transfer money from my bank to my credit card but that would leave me with less funds altogether

I guess Im looking for a rental in the street that accepts credit cards and isnt much more than $30k-$35k p?sos a month. Feel free to Pm or respond here

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
No one will hold your passport. If they do ,leave.
Further, double check with your credit card company and make certain you are covered here.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
car insurance

No one will hold your passport. If they do ,leave.
Further, double check with your credit card company and make certain you are covered here.

I would double check with the car hire company regarding accepting the insurance from your credit card...last april I arrived at SDQ airport to pick up my car ...only then did the car hire company refuse the insurance on my credit card ...bringing my booked fee from $1650 for the month to over$ 3500...THIS WAS EUROCAR...naturally I will not be dealing with them on my future visits to DR

sgtjosephmiller

Jan 7, 2012
American credit cards do not cover you if your in an accident in the dr(only in Canada).you must buy the rental componys insurance if you wan to be covered and if you want full coverage your looking at about 15 bucks a day on top of you rental.if yoy want a street rental they will lend you the car but you must leave your passport.i live in Santiago and I know a few spots.hit me up.

Lafcadio

Jun 5, 2006
Amex covered my accident.

American credit cards do not cover you if your in an accident in the dr(only in Canada).you must buy the rental componys insurance if you wan to be covered and if you want full coverage your looking at about 15 bucks a day on top of you rental.if yoy want a street rental they will lend you the car but you must leave your passport.i live in Santiago and I know a few spots.hit me up.

Six years ago, I tore up two panels worth of a brand new car I was returning to National at the Santiago airport. Had waived the insurance because Amex had confirmed I would be covered by them if I used their card.

It was my fault or the cop who waved me back into a concrete barrier. The very nice lady whom I had been renting through told me: "Truth is the police won't come and prepare a report until a long time after you miss your flight, like tomorrow." She prepared a report for me to give to American Express, sent them a copy and I paid about $800+ for the damages.

Back home I called Amex. As usual, when I have had a problem, they said something like: "Well, this will be a tough one, let's see what we can do." Sent them the report, National's number and forgot about the whole thing. Ten months later I get a check of full reimbursement for all of it.

Three times I have been helped by them when I did not expect it. Call them to verify what they cover, if you have their card.

The National agent was a Ms. Linares. I don't know if she is still there.

Best of Luck

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I spoke to my credit card company last week in preparation for an upcoming trip. They told me that when I use my Visa card to rent a car anywhere in the world that I am covered by their property damage waiver. (They do not cover personal injury.)

A hold on a credit card is not the same thing as a charge, but I guess if you don't even have a $2,000 credit limit the OP does have a problem.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I've used Nelly several times in the past, and after speaking with the manager, have been able to bargain them down to a decent price. As stated in previous posts, your cc may not cover pp damage. If not, make SURE that you purchase the full coverage (to include tire damage) offered by the rental co. If not, you could be totally screwed.My first trip to STI, I rented a Lexus from some fly-by-night company off-airport, and assumed my cc would cover any damage. Long story short; the rental co, actually STOLE the car from my hotel. Very nasty situation, could have gotten much wourse, had I not had Dominican (soon-to-be) relatives at my side. Saw more that I ever wanted to see of the inside of a dominican police station. Gotta be VERY careful with these renyal care companies, and only go for ones that are well established, with a solid rep.
Roll

alaska1986

thanks all for your advice. I have verified the $50k coverage for vehicles under MSRP $50k in the DR excluding exotic rentals and for rentals less than 30 days, this is not my first time to your country and I have used this policy in other countries. The coverage for visa signature caps at $50k , it can includes personal injury property damage and collision etc