more points for hipolito

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Grahame

BushBaby said:
In OTHER words Bill: WE can screw YOU but you can not screw US!!! Big Brother is watching you & will extract every last bit of blood from you that we can!!! - Grahame.
With all due respect, I don't think Bill feels that way. With information often comes responsibility. Being priveleged to certain knowledge often requires that we behave a certain way in exchange for our priveleges. All are warned in advance, and enter freely into the compact. No one is forced into it, and everyone has the opportuntity to decline and choose an alternate living should they find the burden too much to bear.

Tom aka XR Tax bachelors. Why should they be happier than others?

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
XanaduRanch said:
.....Being priveleged to certain knowledge often requires that we behave a certain way in exchange for our priveleges.........

...what's with the 'we' bit? you were a secret agent or something?
i don't know you or texas bill, but i believe texas bill when he says he is a retired military man. apparently you are a rich tich who has cuddled up with george bush. are you a military man as well?

...and what "priveleges" [sic] do you receive that makes you behave in a certain way? or is this just more guff?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Civil Disturbance ...

bochinche said:
...what's with the 'we' bit? you were a secret agent or something? i don't know you or texas bill, but i believe texas bill when he says he is a retired military man. apparently you are a rich tich who has cuddled up with george bush. are you a military man as well? ...and what "priveleges" [sic] do you receive that makes you behave in a certain way? or is this just more guff?
I guess you'll just have to wonder. Military? Only very briefly compared to Bill. But there are other ways to serve your country that require the same sacrifices. Maybe Pasha will spill a few beans, but I don't think so. It's clear no one would ever trust you with any information even remotely sensitive.

By the way, what is a rich tich? Iam not wealthy. And something that may be difficult for you to understand is that I work very hard to support my wife and children here. Why the personal attack, Pedro? Jealousy at my being able to actually do that?

Get a life, relax, and enjoy it. Have fun, amigo - if that's possible in Higuey.

Tom aka XR My wife has a black belt in shopping.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I must have stumbled into the wrong place...

This thread is called "more points for Hippolito". Now it has degenerated into old US 'military' (imagined or real) buddies patting one another on the back and 'secret-crypto' messages.

Excuse me for leaving.... Was this a thread about Dominican Politics? You could have fooled me....

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Please, do.

Chris said:
This thread is called "more points for Hippolito". Now it has degenerated into old US 'military' (imagined or real) buddies patting one another on the back and 'secret-crypto' messages. Excuse me for leaving.... Was this a thread about Dominican Politics? You could have fooled me....
Soundslike that's not hard to do. And this vaccous post added to the thread exactly ... what?

Tom aka XR You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive in the DR.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Feels like somebody should say "gotcha"

.....but failing that, I'll try this - Leonel & Troncoso have formed an alliance, does this mean Leonel can now WIN? And where does that leave Peynardo?
BTW, XR, was that interesting new word vacuous? If not, I'll have to ask the meaning?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Two Questions

It is my understanding that the Hippo won the previous election by bringing out the votes of the poorer people in the community. In contrast, one criticism that I've seen towards Leonel, is that he neglected the poor community.

So, now Leonel has chosen Rafael Alberquerque as vice presidential candidate. Rafael Alberquerque is a labor expert.

So, the first question is will the choice of Rafael Alberquerque as VP candidate, being a noted labor expert, give Leonel a better change at getting the vote of the poorer community?

The second question - It is my understanding that the Dominican People "vote for the party". Are there really so many undecided votes that (assuming it is a clean election) a lot of politicking and posturing before the election can bring about a sizable swing for one candidate or another?

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
it is probable that leonel and morales troncoso made an agreement before leonel chose alberquerque as vp.
if leonel had chosen morales troncoso, it is less likely that hatuey would have asked his supporters to vote for anyone but hipolito.
i think leonel has done well by choosing someone in his own party. he will now have votes from both prd people (who are not pph) and prsc (who are not for estrella).

peynado is ill. i don't think he will participate vary actively in politics for a long while, if at all.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Peynado will more likely support Leonel as he's in the same camp as CMT and the others who are now supporting the PLD.
I just returned from the DR and this is my take on the current situation:
- Leonel has a lot of support in The Capital and a few other cities. Leonel will not win in the campos no matter what he does. I think he will win:
The capital, La Romana, Puerto Plata and Salcedo. Santiago is a big question mark as are places like La Vega, Moca and Bani. The PRD will win San Francisco De Macoris, Cotui, Azua, pretty much the whole south and the Haitian border provinces, Nagua, Bonao, etc...NOBODY HAS EVER WON AN ELECTION WITHOUT WINNING IN THE CAMPOS.
So Leonel has a tough road ahead of him. There's going to be a huge percentage of people who will not vote for anyone. We will go to a second round...which will bring unbelievable alliances. Hippo and Estrella will definitely form an alliance, but who will be the president? I think it may be Estrella himself, Suvervi or even a two year split where Hippo will be president for the first two years and Estrella for the rest of the period. It's going to be interesting.

I wanted to comment in how clean of political propaganda the country looks, considering we're less than two months away from election day. Gone are the days of painting every available public space with ugly party colors. The municipal authorities of almost every city should be commended for this. Great job...We still have a long way to go, but I think we're finally starting to gain a little bit of respect for our environment.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Lambada said:
the explanation is very clear. I just detected a whiff of totalitarianism that I hadn't thought would be your political scene!.... Getting back to the theme of this thread, it seems to me that those of us who "have" will need to continue to redistribute to those who don't, whoever wins in May, Leonel or Hippo. I'm glad your hands aren't tied by your previous employer.

There is no "totalitanianism" involved. The principal behind such a law is one of keeping military officers out of the "mercenary" activities and thereby eliminating a sense of "overt" activity by the US gov'mt. I may seem far-feched to a novice of military science converse "official" government activity/intervention, but it is necessary to maintain the superority of the civilian government authority over the military.

It do get envolved philosophically, don't it???

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
suarezn said:
Peynado will more likely support Leonel as he's in the same camp as CMT and the others who are now supporting the PLD.
I just returned from the DR and this is my take on the current situation:
- Leonel has a lot of support in The Capital and a few other cities. Leonel will not win in the campos no matter what he does. I think he will win:
The capital, La Romana, Puerto Plata and Salcedo. Santiago is a big question mark as are places like La Vega, Moca and Bani. The PRD will win San Francisco De Macoris, Cotui, Azua, pretty much the whole south and the Haitian border provinces, Nagua, Bonao, etc...NOBODY HAS EVER WON AN ELECTION WITHOUT WINNING IN THE CAMPOS.
So Leonel has a tough road ahead of him. There's going to be a huge percentage of people who will not vote for anyone. We will go to a second round...which will bring unbelievable alliances. Hippo and Estrella will definitely form an alliance, but who will be the president? I think it may be Estrella himself, Suvervi or even a two year split where Hippo will be president for the first two years and Estrella for the rest of the period. It's going to be interesting.

I wanted to comment in how clean of political propaganda the country looks, considering we're less than two months away from election day. Gone are the days of painting every available public space with ugly party colors. The municipal authorities of almost every city should be commended for this. Great job...We still have a long way to go, but I think we're finally starting to gain a little bit of respect for our environment.

Suarezn;

I have also noticed the lack of "painting the town Red, White and Purple". Additionally, notice is given to the lack of political retoric, name calling, and general bashing. Perhaps the low-key start will continue. I certainly hope so. Issus Should be a first priority, but I'm not really certain the issues are properly formulated (perhaps like the Dem. and Reps. in the US, the issues are no longer in opposition) at this time. None of the parties have addressed such that i can see. My Spanish is very limited. It may be that my translator has been remiss in interpreting the news for me. I get almost all my news from DR1 Daily.
However, in this villa of Manzanillo, the White party is prevalent, although VERY low key at present with many speaking out against Hippo when questioned.
I think the situation is still a flip of the coin. Too bad it isn't a three-sidded one.

Texas Bill

Apr 26, 2002
Jarabacoa will go for Leonel by about 60/40. Eduardo Estrella does not exist here even though the Sindico is PRSC and Rogelio Genao is from here. My family - traditional Balagueristas - now have purple flags hanging from their houses.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thought I heard on CDN tonight that the Supreme Court is working on their decision about Hatuey's appeal that the JCE should not have thrown out the convention which elected him PRD presidential candidate. Now THAT will be an interesting decision! If the Supreme Court validates Hatuey's convention.....what then? We would have 2 PRD candidates? Or would validation of Hatuey's convention mean throwing out the PPH convention (bathwater, baby, missing hairpiece and all?). Does anyone remember Peyton Place?