MOTORCYCLE for cruising around DR

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
look for another honda crf 250cc or its equivalent. throw some road tires and re tune the suspension for street/dirt road, sorta supermoto style. you cant go wrong! there are some copycat crf 250cc bikes out there , so you can get lucky sourcing one.

you may also want to look for a 500cc bike, if you feel you have outgrown the 250cc. honda or a good "china" copycat should be work great. there are road bikes that do run good on back country roads. try to go to the city to make your purchase (santiago ) for a much better selection.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Thanks to a friend here in Cabarete, found a bike. He introduced me to a French rider from whom I bought a 2011 KTM 250 2 stroke. I'll add pics later. This is definitely a better bike for me than something made part for street also. We rode 4 hours around Cabarte- an American, Swiss, Belgian, French and Canadian. Pics to come soon.

Interestingly, very few of these guys ride more than they have to on the road here. Too dangerous, as told.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Thanks to a friend here in Cabarete, found a bike. He introduced me to a French rider from whom I bought a 2011 KTM 250 2 stroke. I'll add pics later. This is definitely a better bike for me than something made part for street also. We rode 4 hours around Cabarte- an American, Swiss, Belgian, French and Canadian. Pics to come soon.

Interestingly, very few of these guys ride more than they have to on the road here. Too dangerous, as told.

If you're in Cabarete, I'd encourage you to PM Frank12. He rides, a lot, and there's few people in town who know the roads as well as he does.

Be careful, and have fun!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

That two-stroke buzz tires out the body faster but certainly KTM are good bikes.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Two-stroke was definitely not planned, however lots of people riding them around Cabarete and a professional KTM mechanic from Belgium here where I can also store the bike. Nice guy. I thought I would have a problem with the power, but did not. I have a MEGA amount of mountain bike riding experience, and that definitely helps.

I have to get it to Esperanza/Mao. Any ideas on the cheapest way to do that?? I have a Ford Explorer, but unfortunately with a 1 1/4 receiver, not 2 inch. Suppose could have adapter made, then get a tray rack. Anybody familiar with where to purchase those here?? Something like this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/new-motorcycle-carrier-install-1222020/

OR, any other ideas on how to transport??

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Two-stroke was definitely not planned, however lots of people riding them around Cabarete and a professional KTM mechanic from Belgium here where I can also store the bike. Nice guy. I thought I would have a problem with the power, but did not. I have a MEGA amount of mountain bike riding experience, and that definitely helps.

I have to get it to Esperanza/Mao. Any ideas on the cheapest way to do that?? I have a Ford Explorer, but unfortunately with a 1 1/4 receiver, not 2 inch. Suppose could have adapter made, then get a tray rack. Anybody familiar with where to purchase those here?? Something like this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/new-motorcycle-carrier-install-1222020/

OR, any other ideas on how to transport??

The best way is to throw one leg over it and start it up and go. Why else did you buy it? It reminds me of seeing horses in trailers that belong to people who bought the horses to ride, not so the horses could do the riding. Years and years ago maybe 1970 I took the front wheel off my 350 Yamaha 2 stroke and welded 2 plates to the back bumper of my Chevy truck. Hoisted the front fork up and put a pin where the front axle belonged and took the bike from Minneapolis Minn on New Years day to San Antonio, Texas where we started a 3 week tour of Mexico. That may be an idea to try. Both handle bars tied down to the ends of the truck bumper.
Der Fish