Motorcycles in the DR

C

Chip00

One would think that the price of Harley Davidson bikes at Magna motors should experience a hugh drop in price, what with CAFTA and all.....

And here is your cruising passola....http:/[IMG]http:///www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/logo/500/AN650AK7.jpghttp://www.suzikicycles.com/images/productimages/logo/500[/IMG]

Yes, when Colon lowers his finger...right! Dominicans lower prices? They rather be shot first. I priced bringing my bike from Miami to SDQ and it was US600 for shipping. If one fills up a container it will be considerably cheaper.

Also, as for as the Suzuki link, good one, I just need to change my shirt after snorting my lunch over it for laughing so hard!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
If the roads are not smooth and paved well, you should opt out for any standard, not a cruiser, sport or dirt-bike. Sport bikes are uncomfortable after 100 miles and cruisers will destroy your lower back if you can't avoid potholes and you'll probably bottom-out. dirt-bikes are what they are dirt-bikes, I would'nt take anything under a 250 on long highway trips. How about these:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2007models/2007-Triumph-Scarmblerc.jpg

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2007models/2007-Honda-919a.jpg

Or possibly a sport touring. http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2007models/2007-Yamaha-FJR1300Aa.jpg

I think someone mentioned the BMW R1000 (?), that's also a good bike.

C

Chip00

If the roads are not smooth and paved well, you should opt out for any standard, not a cruiser, sport or dirt-bike. Sport bikes are uncomfortable after 100 miles and cruisers will destroy your lower back if you can't avoid potholes and you'll probably bottom-out. dirt-bikes are what they are dirt-bikes, I would'nt take anything under a 250 on long highway trips. How about these:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2007models/2007-Triumph-Scarmblerc.jpg

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2007models/2007-Honda-919a.jpg

Or possibly a sport touring. http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2007models/2007-Yamaha-FJR1300Aa.jpg

I think someone mentioned the BMW R1000 (?), that's also a good bike.

I like the first one as I think it could do well here. The last two would be somewhat unweidly on loose surfaces roads which can be found even on maost major roads here. I have a Bandit 1200 back home and have taken on dirt and gravel roads and it isn't easy to keep standing up. The two main problems are the high COG and the thick tires, especially the back which for these bikes for sure are 190's. However, if one will be sure that they won't really have to encounter roads as such they would be fine and comfortable too. I did a 7 hour ride on the Bandit last fall and didn't feel a thing.

BTW to make the picture show up on the post put
after.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Triumph is an unproven bike in terms of long-term endurance.

One consideration is simplicity, and ease/low expense of maintenance. The cool factor is really low on the priority list.

Actually the VStrom Chip posted is something to consider.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Triumph is an unproven bike in terms of long-term endurance.

One consideration is simplicity, and ease/low expense of maintenance. The cool factor is really low on the priority list.

Actually the VStrom Chip posted is something to consider.

Triumphs have been producing bikes for a very long time, I have read numerous articles stating that the bike is reliable including this one. Triumph Scrambler engine performance, reliability, maintenance costs, etc. rated by riders

I am wondering if you have any references that the "Triumph is an unproven bike in terms of long-term endurance"? By the way I also think the VStrom is also a good bike to consider do to the ease and low expense of maintenance in comparison to european bikes, which could be a b*tch if you don't have access to an authorized dealer.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am wondering if you have any references that the "Triumph is an unproven bike in terms of long-term endurance"? By the way I also think the VStrom is also a good bike to consider do to the ease and low expense of maintenance in comparison to european bikes, which could be a b*tch if you don't have access to an authorized dealer.
I've never had a "new" Triumph. I have owned prolly 10 "old" Triumphs in the past. I've never not owned a bike since I was 16...I'm 55 now, I'm pretty familiar with the dealio.

I am a huge Brit iron buff, always have been. Besides Triumphs, I've had numerous BSA's, Norton's and Royal Enfields. Same with Brit cars. My current "toy" car is a like-new '71 TR6.

I'm not aware of ANY Brit machine that can match the Japs for quality, cars or bikes. I just don't trust any bikes but Japs for the brutality of use that the DR would throw at it. Additionally, I think you'd be really hard pressed to find a Dominican mechanic who is familiar with them. Heck, my VTX is an awesome bike, but I wouldn't have it in the DR for the same reasons.

I think the new Triumph is VERY cool. I like how they made them look like my old Bonnies and Tigers. I hear the big Trumpet is awesome, and certainly their sportbikes are world class. I'm thinking utility and endurance for long-term two up touring, with bags and windshield, so the criteria is different. That is why, to me, the VStrom may not be the best choice-it's really not a bagger or built for real dual touring. It's like a hybrid between a sport bike and dirt bike, sorta.

VTX & TR6, neither of which will be applying for DR residency ;):

CBsToys1.jpg

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I've never had a "new" Triumph. I have owned prolly 10 "old" Triumphs in the past. I've never not owned a bike since I was 16...I'm 55 now, I'm pretty familiar with the dealio.

I am a huge Brit iron buff, always have been. Besides Triumphs, I've had numerous BSA's, Norton's and Royal Enfields. Same with Brit cars. My current "toy" car is a like-new '71 TR6.

I'm not aware of ANY Brit machine that can match the Japs for quality, cars or bikes. I just don't trust any bikes but Japs for the brutality of use that the DR would throw at it. Additionally, I think you'd be really hard pressed to find a Dominican mechanic who is familiar with them. Heck, my VTX is an awesome bike, but I wouldn't have it in the DR for the same reasons.

I think the new Triumph is VERY cool. I like how they made them look like my old Bonnies and Tigers. I hear the big Trumpet is awesome, and certainly their sportbikes are world class. I'm thinking utility and endurance for long-term two up touring, with bags and windshield, so the criteria is different. That is why, to me, the VStrom may not be the best choice-it's really not a bagger or built for real dual touring. It's like a hybrid between a sport bike and dirt bike, sorta.

CBsToys1.jpg

Nice toys, cobra. At first glance, I thought it was a Stag, which I truly love - never had one, and couldn't afford it, but I surely like the style.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004

CBsToys1.jpg

I guess your references check out, hahahaha. By the way nice bike.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thanks, guys. The best bike in the First World is different than the best bike in the Third World. It's definitely down a few levels on the Maslowian Scale for bikes.

I'm pondering the best utility bike for the worse conditions.

It's like cars. A Porsche Cayenne Turbo would be a great SUV in Miami, but a POS, overall, in the DR for daily use. I wouldn't own a Honda CR-V or Mitsu L200 in the states, but I absolutely would in the DR.

Know what I mean?

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
BTW, nice TR-6 too..

I hope we answered your original question.

I also have gone through many, many british bikes and cars. I've bought and restored TR-3A's & B's, spitfires, GT-6, Austin Healeys, MG's and MGB's. Even had a Sunbeam Tiger.

I have had Bonnevilles, Tridents(now those were a headache)

Any of you guys ever heard of Jensen Interceptors? Ugly. Well, more like fugly, but I love the look, the same with those real ugly Alfa Romeo GTVs - ugly but beautiful.

The Kid likes ugly cars. I see a Mini Cooper and I release endorphins.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Where can I find what bikes the dealers import into the country.

Any web links?

(Had a Jensen-Healey once, back in The Day. An old rust bucket. Cool car but a maintenance hog, even for a Brit car, equal with the TR7...)

C

Chip00

Chip the Chopo!

Ok guys I'm ready to go!!!!!! I think I hang with the big boys.

4v6ued0.jpg

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Great pic, Chip. But drining and biking in the DR? Isn't a bullet in the brain less painful?

(j/k ;))

BTW-really cute pup...

Sep 19, 2005
Ok guys I'm ready to go!!!!!! I think I hang with the big boys.

4v6ued0.jpg

well first off ditch the mirrors, pick the dog up and put in your lap, add a few more non essential itmes to the milk crate...and you are ready....if you want to make a cross country trip, you may want to thicken up the soles on the sandals...longer brake life....

does the dog really know whats in store??

some animal lover may give you grief there

good luck anyway

bob