moving to cabarete

momita

May 17, 2006
Good LUCK

HI Miss P !!!!

GOOD LUCK fOR YOUR TRIP.
As i said before i am mooooore confused now than before:cheeky:
But I am going soon to spoil my hart and soul
GO TO CABARETE AND SOSUA .Realy , very beautifull.

:bunny:

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I have to retract my statement and offer to help because m'frog has all the answers. Whoever M'frog is.... You may want to ask M'frog how much is the average cost of moving to the DR from the U.S. or maybe ask him how to set up internet phones prior to arriving to save a bundle on phone bills back to the states. Or, you may want to ask him about current real estate trends on the Northcoast. M'frog, I may have only traveled to the DR a couple of times in the past few months but have a good sense of enviroment and do my home work before 'diving' in. Life is too short to depend on someone else' opinions. Talk to anyone and everyone you can. Get all the information you can and then and only then decide if it's right for you. I've picked up and moved to other areas St. Thomas, Mexico, Argentina and London several times as a young kid. I'm 42 now and have the money to buy a nice house, have a job that pays me a U.S. salary in the DR and will be able to hire or aquire anything that I need to make my life comfortable there. If you're moving there and are still young and learning take it easy. If you have the money you can live anywhere you like. Most of the people on this site seem to feel that by living in the DR they have earned a badge of valor when in actuality I feel that a lot of them have forgotten why they moved there in the first place. Peace out and good luck in whatever you decide.

momita

May 17, 2006
Thank You Jackie Boo

You are very right indeed.Decidion is mine.
I was thinking that I find here people who love Dominican Rep and people who are so happy as much as Dominican are.
Well I was wrong.I realy met here few people with positive vibration:ermm:

amanacer

Dec 29, 2005
Jackieboo, you are very lucky if you can move to DR and keep your US salary, that is very rare. However Momita has not said anything like that which means she would have to give up her job and then move. People here were just trying to tell her that life in DR doesn't resemble 2 weeks in AI. Also moving to DR is completly different experience than moving from one European country to another.
Momita learn as much Spanish as you can, so you can understand people and also the way they speak Spanish will tell you a lot about them. Go to DR as often as you can afford it but don't stay in AI, people there are paid to be nice to you, that is their job, they are really nice? they are probably very good at their jobs... There are some very nice, genuine, simple people in DR but you are not likely to meet them in tourist areas as the seaside attracts all the worst elements of DR.
But yes, follow you dream just have your eyes wide opened.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Mommita I have been going to the DR for four years now. I have been flamed hard by members of this websight when I state assumptions that are in error. They are not negative. They are trying to make you see the real deal. Can someone live on $500 a month? Sure but under what standard of living? Over the years I have developed a network of sorts. I know who to ask personally questions now because I have built a limited relationship with some members of this board. As soon as I am down there I will develope more. If you do a search you will see that everyone has seen more than there fair share of people that see the DR through rose colored glasses. How many pack up and leave. I have been on vacation there and been told of more than one family that sold everything they had at a loss to get airfare back home because they could not make it.
If you have a plan that will work and you share it with the board they will be positive. I have gone from a rookie to accepted because I have a plan and means that is doable. My background lets me live subhuman out of a suitcase for the months it may take to be settled.
Ask yourself if you can? Then have you explained that fact to the board? I have met people that have live in there car in the past. Everyone always asked me how do I intend to make money and then they tell me do not buy for six months to a year. Believe it or not they want you to come. But they want you to succeed rather than be some one that they meet and a few months later you go home to start over with a bad taste in your mouth.
John

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Really well put John. While there are a few people who have come and gone on DR1 who were really negative minded know-it-alls and almost always critical, I think most of the responses to the "rose-colored bespecticled" fall in the category of tough love. I have actually met a German guy in Puerto Plata who was going from bar to bar talking to every tourist/expat he could find trying to scrape up plane fare home. (At least that was his story!) He had tried to make a living selling time-shares, and couldn't cut it.

I believe as a whole, the DR1 community wants to see people realize their dreams of living in the DR, they just want to spare people the misery of seeing their dream become a nightmare due to poor/inadequate preperation. How long and how thorough that preperation needs to be is individual. Obviously, if you are fluent in Spanish, have a 6 or 7 figure bank account and employment that allows you to work in the DR at first world pay, you can make a move more quickly than someone like me who needs to save enough to live off interest if necessary while looking for a way to make more to enhance my lifestyle after I arrive. Age can also be a factor. As a man in my 50's who has managed to carve out a little niche for myself in a job for which I am technically not qualified by educational background, I know that there probably will be no going back if I am not prepared to succeed once I move. I have to say that the idea of coming back to the states and having to work at any job I can get for years until my pension and Social Security kicks in scares me much more than most hardships I would face in the DR.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
I am 39 with a military pension, no bills and a good bank account and even that is not a sure bet.
John

momita

May 17, 2006
Maybe you right John . I always have been a big dreamer.
And I realy need realistic opinion.
That give me a second thoughts.
Now I must admit I am going to find something to live for 6 months or maybe longer ;) ;)

But I am still Thinking that M'Frog should has choose another country to Live:cheeky: Sweden would be good for him.
Hopefuly there is one M'frog in Dominican Republic

My dearest Froggy how is your private life going?????

Love you all
Momita

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Virtual Visit

momita said:
....My dearest Froggy how is your private life going?????
Nothing to complain about.
You may catch a glimpse of it on my HP if you wish.

Looking forward to hearing about your life once you have moved here
I remain

Your dearest
m'frog :lick:

missp

May 19, 2006
Hi Momita!

momita said:
HI Miss P !!!!

GOOD LUCK fOR YOUR TRIP.
As i said before i am mooooore confused now than before:cheeky:
But I am going soon to spoil my hart and soul
GO TO CABARETE AND SOSUA .Realy , very beautifull.

Hiya, thanks for the encouragement and im sorry your having second thoughts now - im still looking forward to going as much as ever! (In fact i said goodbye to my leather suite today and didnt cry!) I think sacrifices have to be made for the gretaer good and the way i see it its like this:

If you dont go you may spend the rest of your life regretting it. If you say your moving out here permanently and then something goes wrong then you'll feel a failure. However, if you give yourself a time limit - long enough to experience the real life in DR and not the touristy side - but short enough so that if you miss home too much you know its not that long til you return - then you get the best of both worlds.

I may be proved wrong but im willing to find out! I just feel this is positive step for me and im taking it seriously - no rushing into it. If you feel the same then follow your heart (but listen to your head!)

Keep me posted on what you decide.

PS - I also Love Caberette!! ;) But i dont want to live there - i wanna make my way in a quieter area to start with.

xx

momita

May 17, 2006
Hi

I may be proved wrong but im willing to find out! I just feel this is positive step for me and im taking it seriously - no rushing into it. If you feel the same then follow your heart (but listen to your head!)

Keep me posted on what you decide.

PS - I also Love Caberette!! ;) But i dont want to live there - i wanna make my way in a quieter area to start with.

xx[/QUOTE]
Just seven days & nights and i will be there.
Let you know what I decide.

Mar 21, 2002
momita said:
Thank You Jackie Boo

You are very right indeed.Decidion is mine.
I was thinking that I find here people who love Dominican Rep and people who are so happy as much as Dominican are.
Well I was wrong.I realy met here few people with positive vibration:ermm:

Don't feel sad, Momita. When people age and get OLD like most that post here, they look in the mirror and see how its all going to pot. They can't help but feel negative, depressed, despondent and suicidal.

Mar 21, 2002
jsizemore said:
I am 39 with a military pension, no bills and a good bank account and even that is not a sure bet.
John

What more security than this? You want the Pres. to ensure your safety also. LOL, you can live the rest of your life in the DR happily ever after.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
no problems

I said it was not a sure thing but I am darn sure going to have fun. My pension is enough to live on for me and the life style I lead but I can forgo cable, dsl and so forth for the time being.
John
29 days and counting

missp

May 19, 2006
short sighted

mountainfrog said:
I get the impression that here are two blind whistling in the dark and talking about colours leading each other....

m'frog

Your life must be filled with joy and happiness mfrog. Oh i so wish i was you....

momita

May 17, 2006
colourless

mountainfrog said:
I get the impression that here are two blind whistling in the dark and talking about colours leading each other....

m'frog

Well Froggie,Sometimes better be blind and tAlking about colours than rather HAVE a Colourless life having eyes wide open.

momita

May 17, 2006
After few weeks with DR1 Forum I have find out that live is not so easy there.
I am going to check my bank account again:ermm: and give myself more time for make any decisions.But I wonder what if I buy pice of land now.And I will move to DR in 2 or 3 years. can I BE SURE THAT NOBODY "TOUCH " my property.

Momita :cheeky: