Moving to DR... advice please

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have 4 Kids,And Work In A Hospital!

Your fears are well grounded!!!
To answer your questions about "Education",and "Healthcare",my answers are VERY simple: "NO!",and "NO!"
Education at the $5,000 US a year and "up" are fine in the lower grades,but the really wealthy Dominicans send their kids to the USA,& Spain to get "REAL" educations! Are there some great doctors here? You bet!! Trained in the USA,and Europe.Butt,it ends there! No real nurses,techs,or para medicals! You get infected,look out! "Sterile Technique" is unheard of here!!!
Your parents want the security of having you and your son with them.Come for a visit after they are here! A single mother will be much better off in the USA than here,not to mention her child! Your only support system would be your parents,and it sounds like they may be starring in: "Clueless in the Dominican Republic"!!!
Forget EVERYTHING that realestate lady has to say! She is not working for your parents,no matter how "sweet" she is!!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Your parents best friend can not do networking for YOU, because he speaks Spanish. That is not how it works. You are you, and he is he.
You have to be your own person here.

Slow down, travel, visit and learn. See if it suits you, if you are ready for this culture change, and then do the move.
I don?t understand the rush, when it comes to such an important decision as where to live and to emigrate.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
Well I agree that you need to visit DR to see if this country and culture could be for you. Perhaps come to DR for a month and do the research yourself about education, healthcare or any other issue that you have concerns about and then make your decision. In my opinion provided that you relocated to DR, although there is no government support, if you collect interest on 500,000 dollars after you turned it to pesos, you would be ok financially, but it's risky because the value of the dollar fluctuates. As far as education, there are good schools and universities in DR. They come with cost, but they do exist. If someone tells you that there are no good schools in DR, that's not true. Students from all over the world come to DR to study to become doctors or dentists. One can become an MD in a relatively short period of time when compared to the USA.

stiggybaby

Jan 20, 2006
indiana16 said:
...if you collect interest on 500,000 dollars ...but it's risky
Does anyone suggest/recomment something better than an account/cd/etc. in dollars in one of the two DR bancos if the person was only looking for a 6-8% return? Are they not government insured bancos? I thought, for example, I saw billboards around the country advertising 8% at banco reservas earlier this month.

If not, what's normally suggested for people who want to keep their currency in dollars and are looking for a 6-8% return?