Moving to DR from US

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
You could also look into petairways.com They fly all animals in-cabin so it is less stressful for your dog. Not less stressful for your wallet I am sure... But might be worth looking into. Good luck!

ella

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
An account with tdameritrade will give you a US chequebook and free transfers to nearly any bank in the DR.
If you deposit about 500-1000 dollars on arrival in the DR banks will open dollar and peso accounts for you with little delay.
Bring a letter of introduction from a bank in the US, passport, credit card.
pi2

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
fHi:

I live in LT half of the year. Great place to be in the DR. As far as a resident visa you don't need one. When you enter the country you will pay $10us for tourist entry. That is good for 30 days. If you go back to the states you pay a small fee depending on how long you have been here. Once you are here you can start the residency process. Once you have all the paper work required and you have an attorney walk you and your documents through the process it could take up to 9 months to get your temporary residency. You will need to review your temporary residency card for years in a row before you get your permanent residency in the 5th year. I have a small dog and it is relatively easy to bring her in the cabin. With a large dog the process is more involved. Continental or American Airlines seem to be the better ones to handle large dogs. Go to their web sites to check requirements. As far as bank accounts, I would leave most of my money in the US and access it by using a debit card. You can also open an account in a Dominican bank. Good luck.

LTS

akmendoza

Mar 14, 2012
about.me
Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial post. I really appreciate all the advice, tips, and even a few welcomes I've received. I think I have just about everything sorted out (or should be by end of month) in prep for my move this summer.

Cheers and perhaps I'll see one or some of you around in LT!

A