Mr. Lu Goes Painting....

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
So, if a kid writes his initials on a wall, it's tagging, and if he takes 15 minutes to write his initials on a wall, it's graffiti art??

To me, defacing public and/or private property is graffiti, period.

But each of us have our own ideas of art, don't we? I still think the special effects are getting better in your videos...

Don't be such a square, daddy-o...

There is a huge difference between some wanna-be gang member tagging MS-13 on a wall and this...

bjisz6.jpg

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
LOL at the daddy-o comment

That line's from the film "Pulp Fiction". :cheeky:

Graffiti used to be like poetry-a form of expression that only other graffiti artists took in and appreciated.

Anyone casually passing by a spayed wall just thought of graffiti as a nuisance. But this art form has taken on a legitimacy even in the rarefied world of the modern art movement.

Graffiti art has nothing to do with tagging one's name on a wall or a train like they used to do in NYC back in the day. To me, that was just vandalism.

But the evolution began there. As people began adding intricate designs and creativity to the mix, the wall taggers became relegated to the rear-they are usually now just gangsters marking their territory on some wall in the ghetto. They definitely have nothing to do with what we're talking about here.

There are some very complicated application techniques that Mr. Lu expounded on that artists use to really take this art form and develop it from it's humble roots.

But you need to be exposed to good graffiti art to realize what's transcendant and what's garbage. Thankfully there are magazines and books that highlight the scene and some of these artists, who started out in the favelas of Brazil and places like Stockholm and Germany are now known internationally.

They must be doing something right.

Last edited:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

That line's from the film "Pulp Fiction". :cheeky:

Graffiti used to be like poetry-a form of expression that only other graffiti artists took in and appreciated.

Anyone casually passing by a spayed wall just thought of graffiti as a nuisance. But this art form has taken on a legitimacy even in the rarefied world of the modern art movement.

Graffiti art has nothing to do with tagging one's name on a wall or a train like they used to do in NYC back in the day. To me, that was just vandalism.

But the evolution began there. As people began adding intricate designs and creativity to the mix, the wall taggers became relegated to the rear-they are usually now just gangsters marking their territory on some wall in the ghetto. They definitely have nothing to do with what we're talking about here.

There are some very complicated application techniques that Mr. Lu expounded on that artists use to really take this art form and develop it from it's humble roots.

But you need to be exposed to good graffiti art to realize what's transcendant and what's garbage. Thankfully there are magazines and books that highlight the scene and some of these artists, who started out in the favelas of Brazil and places like Stockholm and Germany are now known internationally.

They must be doing something right.

Thanks. Sometimes you get to the point in a much simpler way.

Mr. Lu

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
hmm..interesting..i didnt think i'd heard of any crews and i guess my suspicions are confirmed. i actually havent seen dominican graffiti at all (other than the occasional political and random scribbling)...im really interested in what they are doing now...any ideas as to where i could see some? or would i have to actually go to SD?

and as for dominican hip hop *groans* i cannot bear to hear even 2 seconds of it. its....just....WRONG lol but yes, that is a whole 'nother topic....