Much safer in the DR than the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I think you guys are saying it’s safer here than some places in the US. Some bad areas in big US cities. Yes it’s mostly safer than Brixton in London or some bad area of Paris. But no the DR is not that safe. I just panicked because I had been on Caribe tours yesterday with 5 pieces of small luggage and one rucksack the zipper was open and broken. It just occurred to me and I just checked now and everything was there especially I was worried about some wireless mics I had there. Phew lucky this time. But I feel you always have to think about these things and it’s tiring. I say if someone on here said they were never robbed in 10 years they were very lucky.

Reactions: bonao99

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
USADR
School Mass Shooting
Public Mass shooting
Terror Attacks
City Bombing
Smash & Grab
Car Jacking
Car Theft
Kidnapping
Petty crimes
Robbery at Gun Point
Burglary
Home Invasion
Social engineering crimes
Bars on Windows & Doors

Yes baffling indeed.

YMMV…….indeed. We all have different experiences.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I think you guys are saying it’s safer here than some places in the US. Some bad areas in big US cities. Yes it’s mostly safer than Brixton in London or some bad area of Paris. But no the DR is not that safe. I just panicked because I had been on Caribe tours yesterday with 5 pieces of small luggage and one rucksack the zipper was open and broken. It just occurred to me and I just checked now and everything was there especially I was worried about some wireless mics I had there. Phew lucky this time. But I feel you always have to think about these things and it’s tiring. I say if someone on here said they were never robbed in 10 years they were very lucky.
In other words you let your paranoia get the best of you. Yes I said I haven't been robbed or been the victim of any other type of crime here in DR in the past 22 year. I don't consider myself lucky though. The same is true of all the members in my household and many friends and family members.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
In other words you let your paranoia get the best of you. Yes I said I haven't been robbed or been the victim of any other type of crime here in DR in the past 22 year. I don't consider myself lucky though. The same is true of all the members in my household and many friends and family members.
I think you are trying to say in your case it wasn’t luck but you were smarter about living here. Good for you.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Considering she is from South Carolina and lived in Georgia, two states that have lets say a peculiar history with blacks in general, for her the DR is an eye opener in more ways than one.

There is one Dominican I met not too long ago. She lived in Alabama for a few years prior to returning to the DR (lived in another state between the time in Alabama and back in the DR). She had to repeat to me where in the USA she lived, Ala-what? The last state to remove antimiscegenation laws (in 1999; yeah, that’s no typo)? Well, that’s one state I’m never going to out of principle. She assured her experience there was mostly positive, but no need to go to Alabama. Plus, there is no “must see once in a lifetime” places there. She is exactly what that state didn’t want to exist almost up to this century.

According to Uncle Sam's statistics she's far more likely to be raped, car jacked, robbed, assaulted or murdered by someone someone who looks like her than someone who looks like me LOL.
#personalresponsibilty
#doabetterjobwithyourchildrenandstopblamingothers

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
According to Uncle Sam's statistics she's far more likely to be raped, car jacked, robbed, assaulted or murdered by someone someone who looks like her than someone who looks like me LOL.
#personalresponsibilty
#doabetterjobwithyourchildrenandstopblamingothers
Still she is probably more likely to stay away from you. Statistics are statistics.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Still she is probably more likely to stay away from you. Statistics are statistics.
Honestly I'd like to meet her.
I enjoy learning things about people who view the world thru the racial lens as 80% of my friends are what narrow minded people often refer to as "minorities"

Reactions: johne

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I think you are trying to say in your case it wasn’t luck but you were smarter about living here. Good for you.
Please don't put words into my mouth. I know exactly what I said and it certainly wasn't what you understood. To be clear, the world over is infested with all type of delinquents and the time for crime is right this very instant. This doesn't mean that you will be the victim. A bit of caution and being aware of your surroundings goes a long way. A little common sense although, apparently not so prevalent, could potentially save you from many unpleasantness. Luck has really nothing to do with it. If I'm so lucky as you imply, why haven't I won the Powerball or the lottery consistently? Or does my luck run out?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Honestly I'd like to meet her.
I enjoy learning things about people who view the world thru the racial lens as 80% of my friends are what narrow minded people often refer to as "minorities"
If the day of meeting her ever comes hit me up as I too would like to learn from her. I think I'm considered a POC - hands up don't shoot!!!

Reactions: CristoRey

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
USADR
School Mass Shooting
Public Mass shooting
Terror Attacks
City Bombing
Smash & Grab
Car Jacking
Car Theft
Kidnapping
Petty crimes
Robbery at Gun Point
Burglary
Home Invasion
Social engineering crimes
Bars on Windows & Doors

Yes baffling indeed.
Well for sure a stretch. You left out in DR the countless women butchered and shot to death by the hubby. The crimes of grave assualt with machete. The home break-ins in broad daylight. The drug deaths. The adulterated booze deaths the pointless attacks on the streets. Kids killing kids in schools. The perversion of tío or papi and the violation of their own children and family.

Please don't be the ignorant gringo blind to the seedy drug, rape, domestic violence and assassin underbelly of the DR.

Like your chart wtf lol. My young neighbor a few years back in the Ciénaga of Cabarete she's waiting for her man who was out coking and whoring all night. Finally comes home at dawn, and leaves the 16 year olds skull in pieces what the the help of a rice pot. These things happen everyday. They happen in areas where the "privilege" and haughty never see. The news won't even show you, you have to know from an inside source.

When I got here Hipólito was president and they were killing folks in my neighborhood after 7pm for a Motorola flip phone or a pair of Jordans.

Your chart is evidence that you've never experienced any of this.

No offence just saying

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Lots of folks are feeling safe sure i get that. Sure Chicago is a real tough spot. I lived in the Bronx and felt safe. Not at 3am.

That said, I've lived in many areas of this place over the past 18 years and I can give you a laundry list of places that would have
Sorry NSP this wasn't complete. My phone died while I was drafting it

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Just seeing this now ..

WOW ... lmao .. so many ref flags here , I would not even know where to start ..
met him on a Party Cruise on her FIRST TRIP to the DR in 2019 .. he flirted with me .. no kidding .

long story short he is my husband now ..

just wow

You cant even WRITE this stuff any better . its so amazing how Ignorant & Gullible some people are . ( men and women )

Reactions: ctrob

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well for sure a stretch. You left out in DR the countless women butchered and shot to death by the hubby. The crimes of grave assualt with machete. The home break-ins in boroad daylight. The drug deaths. The adulterated booze deaths the point least attacks of the streets. Kids killing kids in schools. The perversion of tío or papi and the violation of there own children and family.

Please don't be the ignorant gringo blind to the seedy drug, rape, domestic violence and assassin underbelly of the DR.

Like your chart wtf lol. My young neighbor a few years back in the Ciénaga of Cabarete she's waiting for her man who was out coming and whoring all night. Finally comes home at dawn, and leaves the 16 year olds skull in pieces what the the help of a rice pot. These things happen everyday. They happen in areas where the "privilege" and haughty never see. The news won't even show you, you have to know from an inside source.

When I got here Hipólito was president and they were killing folks in my neighborhood after 7pm for a Motorola flip phone or a pair of Jordans.

Your chart is evidence that you e never experienced any of this.

No offence just saying
A lot less kids killed in schools here, it is in fact a very rare thing. violence against women is a regular occurrence here, as it is in the USA as well. Whenever you have poor people with lots of drugs and alcohol around, and low education you will have the same thing happening.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Well for sure a stretch. You left out in DR the countless women butchered and shot to death by the hubby. The crimes of grave assualt with machete. The home break-ins in broad daylight. The drug deaths. The adulterated booze deaths the pointless attacks on the streets. Kids killing kids in schools. The perversion of tío or papi and the violation of their own children and family.

Are you sure?
OP's article/ link didn't mention anything about that in the Punta Cana tourist brochure.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Let’s see. Of course Punta Cana is safe. A shot gun at every business. Crime committed, round up every Haitian in a 5 mile radius. Let her move to Higuey where most of the AI help is shipped in from and see what she says.
Domestic dispute cops just fire a couple rounds in the air to settle things down. Stopped by police? She never travels much. Road blocks and strip searches on the side of the road.
There seems to have been many on this site in the past that sang the praises of the DR when they first arrived and are no longer expats. AND, as for meeting and marrying a photographer on a party boat WTF. She is still in the honeymoon phase.
And lastly, being an entrepreneur? Reading between the lines it looks like she is partnered in an investment Ponzi scheme. Might be way off but doubt it.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Let’s see. Of course Punta Cana is safe. A shot gun at every business. Crime committed, round up every Haitian in a 5 mile radius. Let her move to Higuey where most of the AI help is shipped in from and see what she says.
Domestic dispute cops just fire a couple rounds in the air to settle things down. Stopped by police? She never travels much. Road blocks and strip searches on the side of the road.
There seems to have been many on this site in the past that sang the praises of the DR when they first arrived and are no longer expats. AND, as for meeting and marrying a photographer on a party boat WTF. She is still in the honeymoon phase.
And lastly, being an entrepreneur? Reading between the lines it looks like she is partnered in an investment Ponzi scheme. Might be way off but doubt it.
I don’t really think Punta Cana even is that safe. The safest is probably living in a nice SD or Santiago apartment building in an ok neighborhood. I personally don’t go out hardly ever after 7-8 pm. I have had my fun in the nightlife.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
The article is based on her experience and she is entitled to feel the way she does regarding safety.

If she decided to move here and marry a photographer she met on a boat, who cares? Her life, her decisions. If it turns out bad, it's not the end of the world. If she is happy then why does everyone have to be so critical? Is it because you are all so miserably unhappy in your own lives and your only sliver of joy comes from hiding behind a keyboard on here?

No one here is the ultimate authority on anything but on here everything thinks they are.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
The article is based on her experience and she is entitled to feel the way she does regarding safety.

If she decided to move here and marry a photographer she met on a boat, who cares? Her life, her decisions. If it turns out bad, it's not the end of the world. If she is happy then why does everyone have to be so critical? Is it because you are all so miserably unhappy in your own lives and your only sliver of joy comes from hiding behind a keyboard on here?

No one here is the ultimate authority on anything but on here everything thinks they are.
Of course.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
I am a cynic. I see a woman with an employment issue hook up with a sankie. "a corporate trainer specializing in leadership" what is that. She met a man on a booze cruise and is now married. What a hoot!!
OHH senor BIG........ you are a funy guy...maybe she can write a book.....the the glorious live of being married to a sankie in DR ...specializing in leadership and all,,,,, ,specially hot midnight showers by the moonlight ..... so romantic I ll tell you.. I live in Calabasas California , lately things are not the same...the neighborhood has gone to hell.... look at this dude Will SMITH.. committing crimes ..and he wont even get arrested ..... must be all that privilege you know

Status
Not open for further replies.