Music and More in Cabarete

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From Facebook today:

Ray Lonis

Stdponroseli44c81515g8m87gg4hha9136gll2hgtf13ua2m0g5i0cf823f ·

Well, Happy New Year to everyone! It's nice to see some positive things happening in Cabarete, and change has, and is coming rapidly here. But, it would also be nice to see somebody (maybe the local police, and mayor Freddy Cruz) addressing the negative aspect....the 800-pound gorilla in the room. Here's just an example of the problem, that doesn't really get to the root of the problem. I live in Procab, it's now 6:50 A.M., and the "music" that started blaring late last night, or should I say early this morning, that is literally vibrating my windows, and woke me from a deep sleep at about 4:45, is still going! Now, I've become a bit accustomed to the music reaching here on weekends, and it usually goes until around 3:00 in the morning. When I say accustomed, I'm not saying that I enjoy hearing it! My landlord said that it's most likely coming from the beach bars. However, what's been a semi-consistent hindrance (nightmare) is the music that starts blaring after the beach closes down, coming from Barrio Blanco. Now, I know last night was New Years Eve, and a bit of celebration might be expected, but this issue is a recurring one, and it's root is the real problem. I wasn't sure where the music was coming from this morning, but I've suspected that it was Barrio Blanco, so not being able to sleep, I got on my motorcycle and rode over there. I entered, and before I could even get down the street as far as the colmado, a local was yelling to me "Hey man, what do you need"? I turned the bike around, ready for a quick escape, and he approached me more closely..."what do you need, coke, weed"? I've know this kid from Cabarete for years, and everybody knows him, because he's everybody's (who has money) best friend.....in fact, he's a nuisance! Anyway, as I replied to him "what makes you think I need anything", another bunch of locals were approaching me, with what I assumed was the same intention, to sell me some drugs. They looked like zombies, and started to surround the bike a bit, so I took off. Now, I've been told in the past, that the only reason that Gringos go there is to buy drugs, and from everything I've seen, that's not just a tale! Here's the thing; I think that most people that have lived here for any reasonable amount of time, know that, like many places across the world, there's a drug problem here. It's a sad fact of life that many people choose this lifestyle, and the "they" have to deal with the problems that go along with their choices. However, should this choice have to affect all of us? This blaring music till all hours of the night is a nuisance to anybody in the area that is trying to keep any semblance of normal hours. How about the families in Barrio Blanco, with children who need to sleep at night, so they can go to school the next day, and try and learn something? What it is that's propelling these Zombies till all hours of the night is their marching powder (cocaine/crack), and what is the local governance, and law enforcement doing? I know that some will suggest "Just get some earplugs", but I've already tried that, and they're too uncomfortable for me to sleep with. Furthermore, it doesn't address the problem, and I shouldn't have to wear earplugs to be able to have a decent quality of life/sleep in Cabarete! I always see these posts online about all the great things that are being done here, how about taking care of one of the biggest problems here? I've heard that there's a noise-ordinance here, why isn't it being enforced? Maybe if enough people speak up about this problem, the local police will step up their effort, and actually step up their patrol of the area, and give us all some peace of mind! What say you?

Reactions: Notengo

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
From Facebook today:

Ray Lonis

Stdponroseli44c81515g8m87gg4hha9136gll2hgtf13ua2m0g5i0cf823f ·

Well, Happy New Year to everyone! It's nice to see some positive things happening in Cabarete, and change has, and is coming rapidly here. But, it would also be nice to see somebody (maybe the local police, and mayor Freddy Cruz) addressing the negative aspect....the 800-pound gorilla in the room. Here's just an example of the problem, that doesn't really get to the root of the problem. I live in Procab, it's now 6:50 A.M., and the "music" that started blaring late last night, or should I say early this morning, that is literally vibrating my windows, and woke me from a deep sleep at about 4:45, is still going! Now, I've become a bit accustomed to the music reaching here on weekends, and it usually goes until around 3:00 in the morning. When I say accustomed, I'm not saying that I enjoy hearing it! My landlord said that it's most likely coming from the beach bars. However, what's been a semi-consistent hindrance (nightmare) is the music that starts blaring after the beach closes down, coming from Barrio Blanco. Now, I know last night was New Years Eve, and a bit of celebration might be expected, but this issue is a recurring one, and it's root is the real problem. I wasn't sure where the music was coming from this morning, but I've suspected that it was Barrio Blanco, so not being able to sleep, I got on my motorcycle and rode over there. I entered, and before I could even get down the street as far as the colmado, a local was yelling to me "Hey man, what do you need"? I turned the bike around, ready for a quick escape, and he approached me more closely..."what do you need, coke, weed"? I've know this kid from Cabarete for years, and everybody knows him, because he's everybody's (who has money) best friend.....in fact, he's a nuisance! Anyway, as I replied to him "what makes you think I need anything", another bunch of locals were approaching me, with what I assumed was the same intention, to sell me some drugs. They looked like zombies, and started to surround the bike a bit, so I took off. Now, I've been told in the past, that the only reason that Gringos go there is to buy drugs, and from everything I've seen, that's not just a tale! Here's the thing; I think that most people that have lived here for any reasonable amount of time, know that, like many places across the world, there's a drug problem here. It's a sad fact of life that many people choose this lifestyle, and the "they" have to deal with the problems that go along with their choices. However, should this choice have to affect all of us? This blaring music till all hours of the night is a nuisance to anybody in the area that is trying to keep any semblance of normal hours. How about the families in Barrio Blanco, with children who need to sleep at night, so they can go to school the next day, and try and learn something? What it is that's propelling these Zombies till all hours of the night is their marching powder (cocaine/crack), and what is the local governance, and law enforcement doing? I know that some will suggest "Just get some earplugs", but I've already tried that, and they're too uncomfortable for me to sleep with. Furthermore, it doesn't address the problem, and I shouldn't have to wear earplugs to be able to have a decent quality of life/sleep in Cabarete! I always see these posts online about all the great things that are being done here, how about taking care of one of the biggest problems here? I've heard that there's a noise-ordinance here, why isn't it being enforced? Maybe if enough people speak up about this problem, the local police will step up their effort, and actually step up their patrol of the area, and give us all some peace of mind! What say you?

Sad. Not going there, but not that long they built nice houses for them there so I thought it gonna be nice families in there. Sad to hear that tigueres are still there

Nov 9, 2023
SC
I have been dealing with this same sh.. for almost 2 weeks now, starting before Christmas. I am so tired and pi..ed off right now that I cannot enjoy new year. Colmado with heavy soundsystem right next door. Then 10 days a big Bocina truck and drinking booths right accros the street, BOTH competing all night long. House shaking the windows and doors. No way to talk inside. Even I have a limit to what I can take and I am done.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
After reading his other FB posts, I don't think the DR is a good fit for him.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The laws are very clear here made by Dominicans for Dominicans, Immigrants, expats and all. I have successfully prosecuted and taken actions with the Magistrate (Judge) in the Palacia Puerto Plata against local air bnb/booking .com so called "private villas". The judge is a good man and gets very upset when someone does not take the dominican noise laws serious. If you want results, you have to follow the process.. it is not simply "call the cops".. but it can be done... and resolved. permanately. Respect the process, respect the law.

Ley 64-00 de Medio Ambiente sobre la contaminación sónica causada por ruidos molestosos.

Here are a few links for an idea of how serious the problem is.. and what is done about it.

Advierten a ciudadanía sobre artimañas de delincuentes para asaltar y robar dinero o pertenencias - Puerto Plata Digital

Advirtió a todos los ciudadanos tener ojo avizor ante múltiples artimañas y fechorías que ponen en ejecución los delincuentes.
www.puertoplatadigital.com

UNIDAD ANTI RUIDO PUERTO PLATA HA INCAUTADO 66 BOCINAS. - NotiPlata.com

La unidad está integrada por el Ministerio de Medio Ambiente, la Procuraduría de Medio Ambiente, la Policía Nacional, la Fuerza Aérea de la República Dominicana, el SENPA, el Ministerio de Turismo y el COBA, así como la Gobernación Provincial. EDGAR LANTIGUA. PUERTO PLATA.- La Unidad anti...
notiplata.com
dominicantoday.com

Government announces crackdown on din

<p>Santo Domingo.- Starting today Thursday the 911 System will accept complaints of excessive noise which disturb citizens, Presidency chief of staff Gustavo Montalvo said Wednesday."Until now, citizens suffered all kinds of annoying noises without anywhere to go to solve the problem. The now...
dominicantoday.com
dominicantoday.com

Loudspeakers seized in anti-noise action in Puerto Plata

<p>PUERTO PLATA.- Several speakers that blasted annoying music at disturbing volumes were seized last night by the competent authorities in commercial establishments located in sectors of San Felipe de Puerto Plata. It was reported that the speakers were involved in substantial noise pollution...
dominicantoday.com
https://detrasdelrumor.com.do/2019/...-puerto-plata-por-irradiar-ruidos-molestosos/
dominicantoday.com

National Police detains 167 for noise pollution

<p>Santo Domingo.- The National Police detained 167 people during the month of July for violating the legal dispositions that regulate the volume of sound systems. They seized 567 amplifiers, 780 speakers, and 204 sound systems along with other sound equipment. “The Police is working tirelessly...
dominicantoday.com

PORTADA - InfoEnn

noticiasenn.net

InfoEnn

Disfundimos información a través de nuestra web y redes sociales, apegados a la veracidad de los hechos
noticiasenn.net
www.diariolibre.com

Policía Nacional realiza operativo para reducir ruido

SANTO DOMINGO. La Policía Nacional, a través del Departamento Anti Ruidos, realizó un operativo conjunto simultáneo entre las direcciones regionales d...
www.diariolibre.com
www.diariolibre.com
www.diariolibre.com

El ruido, principal motivo de quejas ambientales

La exposición habitual a este contaminante puede causar sordera progresiva
www.diariolibre.com
www.diariolibre.com

Claman acción coercitiva de PN ante intranquilidad causada por música estridente en Puerto Plata

Ante esa problemática, decenas de ciudadanos están solicitando la acción coercitiva de la Policía Nacional, a fin de que sean incautados las bocinas y equipos de sonido que irradian contaminación sónica por doquier.
http://www.dominicanrepublic.com/911-emergency-system-acts-noise-complaints/
https://ambiente.gob.do/transparencia/base-legal/normas/

Noise Levels in Dominican Republic – APC Costambar – Official Site

apccostambar.com
apccostambar.com
www.diariolibre.com

Policía Nacional realiza operativo para reducir ruido

SANTO DOMINGO. La Policía Nacional, a través del Departamento Anti Ruidos, realizó un operativo conjunto simultáneo entre las direcciones regionales d...
www.diariolibre.com
www.diariolibre.com
dominicantoday.com

National Police detains 167 for noise pollution

<p>Santo Domingo.- The National Police detained 167 people during the month of July for violating the legal dispositions that regulate the volume of sound systems. They seized 567 amplifiers, 780 speakers, and 204 sound systems along with other sound equipment. “The Police is working tirelessly...
dominicantoday.com
http://www.poderjudicial.gob.do/doc...l_codigo_penal_de_la_republica_dominicana.pdf
https://ambiente.gob.do/transparencia/base-legal/normas
www.airbnb.com

Public Health highlights damage caused by noise pollution

<p>Through the Department of Mental Health, the Ministry of Public Health called on the population to raise awareness about the damage caused by noise and noise pollution, which generate aggression, irritability, influences on thoughts, and social sensitivity, among other factors. In the usual...
dominicantoday.com

Reactions:AlterEgo

Reactions: cavok and JD Jones
Nov 9, 2023
SC
I would move by the end of the week if not sooner.
Usually I would but business and the usual manana is keeping me here. And I shouldn’t be running away. This noise problem is getting bigger since they can afford bigger soundsystems and will use them to the max. And the strict noise rules are useless without enforcement..

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Usually I would but business and the usual manana is keeping me here. And I shouldn’t be running away. This noise problem is getting bigger since they can afford bigger soundsystems and will use them to the max. And the strict noise rules are useless without enforcement..
Right. It's a lot easier to complain than to move or contact the authorities.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The person quoted in the OP should know that Cabarete used to be much worse than it is now. When I came to live in the same area that he does thirteen years ago there was a bar on the main street blasting noise out most of the night, and then there was a church in Barrio Blanco making a similar din most evenings. Both could be clearly heard in ProCab which is now much more peaceful except at times like Semana Santa and New Year's Eve. I can live with the noise on these quite rare occasions.

And living where he does, he should surely know that Barrio Blanco is a no-go area, and that gringos only go there for one thing - which he was offered.

Reactions: cavok

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I was not suggesting leaving the island, just your current house. Next place investigate more thoroughly. Drive by at midnight and on the weekends. Cab is a little more difficult to investigate as it is a tourist and expat community. Living near an aspiring D.J will affect your health. Reasoning with this person is futile, he thinks he is doing a service for the community by providing free music.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The noise ordinance is being enforced much more than it was in the past but, if you expect it to be enforced on New Year's Eve, Semana Santa, or any other big holiday weekend, you're dreaming. Avoid living in, or adjacent to, barrios if you want peace and quiet.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
I was not suggesting leaving the island, just your current house. Next place investigate more thoroughly. Drive by at midnight and on the weekends. Cab is a little more difficult to investigate as it is a tourist and expat community. Living near an aspiring D.J will affect your health. Reasoning with this person is futile, he thinks he is doing a service for the community by providing free music.
Yes I understood you, not leaving the island. Luckily I do have options but not last weeks. The thing is my wife’s first house was build before the colmado and others came, it was a good area. We are waiting for our new residencial house to be finished but it is taking forever. I really want a place of my own at this time. And I just ran out of patience this week lol.