My daughter, dual citizenship, leaving DR with me for U.S., where do i find form?

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
I am an American citizen going to the DR to pick up my daughter, who has dual citizenship, for a summer here in the U.S.. I know I need a form for her to be able to leave the D.R. without her mother, who is Dom citizen. What is the name of this office and location? Greatly appreciated.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Have a look at this thread:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-questions/72110-american-minor-travel.html

You may also want to have a look at he DR migracion site permits for minors:
::::Direcci?n General de Migraci?n::: Rep?blica Dominicana

This is the section on the migracion site that applies to your circumstance:
DR Migracion said:
En torno a este tema, la Direcci?n General de Migraci?n hace de p?blico conocimiento las siguientes precisiones:

REQUISITOS PARA LA SALIDA DE MENORES DE EDAD DESDE LA REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

1. Menores dominicanos o extranjeros que residen en la Rep?blica Dominicana:

Si los menores viajan en compa??a de su padre o madre o responsable: Si uno de los padres va a salir del pa?s con uno o mas de sus hijos ( as), no podr? hacerlo sin el consentimiento por escrito del otro. Este consentimiento deber? expresarse por escrito, con firma legalizada del Notario P?blico, y certificada por la Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica, documento que presentar? al Departamento de Certificaciones de la Direcci?n General de Migraci?n (DGM), el cual le estampar? el sello de salida, previo pago de los impuestos correspondientes.

NotLurking

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Thanks a bunch, NotLurking. I had read that page before. I understand spanish pretty well, if someone could tell me if I am correct in translating that . I read I need a letter from my wife, my childs mother, giving me permission to leave the DR with her and I need a form from the office of the Procuraduria General? Is that it? Anybody have an address for this office? Thanks again.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Read and check again.

You may want to check with a couple of sources. One being the U.S. immigration/State Dept./Passport office, any should due, in your area. You want to make sure that the entry papers are in good order for the entry and exit to the U.S.

Second? You will need to have the papers for exit and return to the D.R.

I would recommend that you talk to a Dominican Lawyer that can help; the DR1 recommended firm would be a start. Otherwise, I have used an immigration atty in S.D.: Jordi speaks english. 809-350-0098.

Good luck and a good summer, Ringo

Last edited:

DanaP

May 23, 2007
minor travel

I am a US citizen and live here in the DR with my son. I am separated from his father who lives in the states, yet I have full custody. Recently, I needed to send my son back to the states with MY father, my sons grandfather. After significant research here is what I learned;

I needed to get a letter written in spanish by a lawyer here & have it certified by the consulate in SD granting permission for my son to travel without me. In order to do this my lawyer had to first draft the document (which required copies of all passports, dates, addresses, full names etc.) and once complete she had to take the ORIGINAL passports for myself, my son & my father (who my son was travelling with) to the consulate for review with the document she had drafted in spanish. The cost I was quoted was $RD4500 but it went up to $RD7000 when i needed it prepared quickly.

I would suspect that for your son to travel with you without his mother (leaving the DR that is) you'll need to prepare the same document in spanish, with the mother granting you permission to leave the country with your son. Again, it will need to be finalized once you've arrived and can send your original passport with the lawyer to the consulate.

I also learned that the US cares much less about children travelling without both parents. They say nothing is needed for a child to leave the US without his parents, but recommend a notarized letter from the other parent granting permission.

Despite all of this, in my case the consulate refused to certify my document because it lacked permission & a passport for my sons father (who is unable to obtain a US passport and would certainly not be cooperative enough to grant permission for just about anything) and they were unable to read the US court papers in english stating that I had full custody. Luckily, my father had no trouble flying with my son to the states & my sister had no troubles bringing him back down here. Not that you should assume that your luck will be the same.....

Feel free to PM me if you have further questions, but I'd suggest that your sons mother begin by visiting a lawyer here in the DR to begin preparing the document for certification.

dana

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Ringo, I am not sure what you mean by the papers for exit and return? I know I need the form from the Prucuraduria General and a notorized paper from my wife, for exit, but beyond that?? and for return??

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ringo, I am not sure what you mean by the papers for exit and return? I know I need the form from the Prucuraduria General and a notorized paper from my wife, for exit, but beyond that?? and for return??

Does your son have an American passport and if not, does he have a Dominican one with American Visa?

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
My Daughter

She has dual citizenship, American and Dominican, has a U.S. passport no dominican passport.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
drgolfer, below is a bulletin containing the official list of requirements for obtaining a travel permit for a minor. I hope this info is helpful.

FYI: an Acta Notarial is nothing more than an Affidavit prepared and notarized by a Dominican notary public. The Acta Notarial should than be legalized by the Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica.

REP?BLICA DOMINICANA

Secretar?a de Estado de Interior y Polic?a

DIRECCI?N GENERAL DE MIGRACI?N

A LAS L?NEAS A?REAS

A LAS AGENCIAS DE VIAJES

A TODO EL P?BLICO EN GENERAL

La Direcci?n General de Migraci?n les hace de p?blico conocimiento, que para los ni?os, ni?as y adolescentes menores de 18 a?os puedan salir del pa?s tendr?n que llevar los siguientes requisitos:

1. Si el Menor viaja con uno de los padres, deber? tener una autorizaci?n del otro, amparado en una Acta Notarial debidamente Legalizada por la Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica, documento que presentar? a la Direcci?n General de Migraci?n para emitir el debido permiso, con los requisitos que se detallan m?s adelante (a, b, c, d, e, f).

2. En caso de que el Menor viaje con una tercera persona, o l?nea a?rea, ambos padres deber?n autorizar a dicho menor, mediante un Acta Notarial Legalizada por la Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica y llevando a la Direcci?n General de Migraci?n con los siguientes requisitos:

• Pasaporte Original del Menor y su Acompa?ante (Copia);
    • Copia de Visa o Residencia del Menor y su Acompa?ante;
    • Acta de Nacimiento Legalizada, si es Dominicano (Copia);
    • 2 Fotograf?as 2 x 2 de Frente, solamente del Menor;
    • Copia de las C?dulas de los Padres que Autorizan;
    • El Permiso tiene un Costo de RD$ 885.00 de Sellos e Impuestos, por cada Menor y se Entrega en 48 horas. Si es V I P se Paga RD$ 600.00 Adicional.

3. Si uno de los Padres ha fallecido traer copia del Acta de Defunci?n.

4. Si los Padres se encuentran en el Exterior deben dirigirse al Consulado Dominicano m?s pr?ximo y solicitar un Poder Consular, Autorizando la salida del Menor con su acompa?ante.

NOTA: Cualquier informaci?n favor llamar a los Tel?fonos: 809-508-2555 Ext. 313, 316, v?a Fax: 809-534-7118 y 809-534-8800. Este documento tiene una vigencia de 30 d?as.

Este no es un documento oficial de la Asociaci?n de las Naciones Unidas de la Rep?blica Dominicana (ANU-RD). Preparado y mantenido en espa?ol por la Secretar?a de Estado de Interior y Polic?a y la Direcci?n General de Migraci?n de la Rep?blica Dominicana.

NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
drgolfer, one more thing, if your daughter is Dominican by virtue of Jus Soli (being born in the DR) you'll need to comply with item 2(c). That means you'll have to include a copy of a legalized dominican birth certificate when you go to the Direcci?n General de Migraci?n to apply for the minor travel permit.

Good Luck!
NotLurking

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Thanks Notlurking

Yes, my daughter was born in the DR, but my wife also is a Dominican citizen, so I guess thats how she received her citizenship. I do have her nascimento though. I appreciate all the info from you and everyone else who has contributed. One last thing, does anyone know the address for this Procuraduria General in Santo Domingo.

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
thanks, Chirimoya.......I will let anyone in the same situation as myself, the exact procedure necessary when all is complete.