My experience leaving the DR via Puerto Plata airport

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
At POP airport when you arrived and they see you're Dominican, the immigrantion officers that check you passport ask you for money, it happened to me a couple of years ago, and i asked a friend of mine that she travels three time a year thru POP and she told they asked her for money too, she hates that. I don't know if they do that to tourist too!!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I dont understand why you would even take your wallet out of your pocket for inspection? If you know your going through a metal detector make sure all metal is out of your wallet. If your carrying cash why not keep it separate in your pocket? Credit cards too. They don't set off the metal detectors why bothering even flaunting that crap in their faces?

Beads,
I don't think your post was addressed to me, but heading out last time I had cash in my front pocket (not in a wallet, just folded). They decided to do a pat down after going thru metal detector, felt the money & asked that I remove whatever was in my pocket. Then they wanted to know how much it was, blah blah blah. No alarm had been set off by the metal detector.

So... one doesn't have to 'flaunt that crap' in anyone's face to have security check it. ;)

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Last Time, first time going to DR and a few times afterwards they looked like they wanted to search my bags thoroughly because I look Dom, but as soon as they realize I don't understand a word of spanish, they leave me alone. I was questioned about why I had 6 - 8 cell phones, and 2 were gifts, but I told them with an attitude I am in business and those phones have my business numbers in them and I let them know I came to spend money, with an attitude................Everything is mine to be used by me, no gifts, just money to spend.............. When I'm leaving I don't have enough momey left to arouse interest, let alone suspicion.............

Just a bunch of peso cigars to give to my friends and family ....................

My paper money always stays in my pockets, coming or going .............. and I would never have my money where it can be seen ....................in my wallet or conveyer belt............ Be glad you were at the Airport .............

You are in a Country, where the monthly salary is around $200.00 and maybe better, and that includes Police and possibly airport employees .............So handling your money that openly could create a problem, anywhere you go................I have seen the NY newbees in Sosua, ready to pay $70.00 rather than $7.00, or handing their money out, telling someone to pick out the right amount ........because they don't understand the dollar/peso ratio...............

headnerd

Dec 28, 2006
In 14 years of traveling through POP - about once per month - I have never had a problem either. If this happens to anyone, they should report it to the US Consular Agent in Puerto Plata - he is also the head of AeroDom, which runs the airport and an exceedingly good person (honest, straightforward and always eager to help). PM me if you want the contact info.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Most of you...........

At POP airport when you arrived and they see you're Dominican, the immigrantion officers that check you passport ask you for money, it happened to me a couple of years ago, and i asked a friend of mine that she travels three time a year thru POP and she told they asked her for money too, she hates that. I don't know if they do that to tourist too!!

........seem to be living in a "dream" world..........OR WE CAN POST A PHOTO OF WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE AND CHANCES ARE YOU ALL LOOK THE SAME!!! :) ;);)..................LIGHT SKINNED AND BALD/BLONDE/GREY HAIR

......Most people at the Puerto Plata airport will ask you for $$$ both leaving and coming.....We have been here over 15 years and NOT once has it NOT happened............and at least one of us is on a flight every two weeks one way or another.......

Friends / Family etc..............and it has happened to all of them...........

IF you look anything like a Dominican, have dark hair and/or olive to dark complexion you will be asked.........They will ask you when they stamp your passport and then again once you get your bags..........

You have to be blind not to see money crossing hands especially at customs when returning on a flight from New York or Miami...............AND if you give them $$$$, chances are they won't open your bags and give you a problem, which you shouldn't have anyway........(as long as you don't have electronics etc).............

.......maybe it is just those flights...........It starts from the minute you walk toward the custom counters and is usually from the two people standing on the end of it, not the person behind the counter............but he gets some of it.............

.........Even the people standing next to the doors on the way out will have their hands out...............

This is NOT the first time this has been written about and you can find it on many different message boards/blogs, not just DR1.............

Operations at the airport could care less...........If they stood downstairs (incognito, of course) near customs, ONE TIME when a Miami or NY flight came in, all of the airport staff would have to be fired for violating their regulations.............

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Honestly to many tourist or expats wont happen but for the local that's a usual
thing. If any one doub about it just go to the airport any of them in DR and ask
each local coming out how was their experience at least 4 out of 10 will tell you
same thing, Some Dominicans just let the situation happen because all they want is
to leave the airport after 3 to 5 hours flight plus the 2 to 3 for depart.
after all that hasle some Dominicans give the Immigration officer the tip$.

Going to Puerto Plata with a Canadian Passport I avoid 100% talking to the airport staff at any DR airport, I even tell my wife not to talk to them in Spanish.
well after I landed POP one of the Immigration guy asked me if I was Dominican
I ask the guy why was the question? he responded "you are silent you dont speak"
told the guy clear Yes Im Dominican but I have not interest of talking to people ready for "Tips" La propina.

Another guy in Punta Cana, that time I was travelling with a Dominican Passport asked
me if I was Dominican, I couldnt take it I told the guy I was from Haiti travelling with a
machete. The guy just let me go.

Im always ready for them to attemp asking or try to get something from me.

Again this is usual thing, I try STI airport but I heard that this airport has signs all over enforcing all traveller to report who ever ask for money "That's what I heard"

Expats or Tourist that extortion case havent happen to you in DR, be ready that
your turn can come any time. Its doesnt matter if you travel experience to DR is for the past 50 years. Corruption, extortion, thief, thats a day to day life at the DR Airports that's why many Dominican wish to work at airports "Por la busqueda"

Last edited:

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
When I left POP 3 weeks ago to go back to canada for Christmas, they rifled through everything - even all the sections of my small travel size jewelery case. I was ticked. When we arrived in Canada, were were met with major security as we left the plane. They were definetely looking for something. When I flew back to POP the grilled all of us as we got on the plane. They were looking for people leaving the country with large amounts of cash.

The Traveler

Jun 7, 2008
Flew in/out of POP during my last trip in December. It was my 2nd time in the DR and first time going through POP. Being as though I can speak some Spanish and had a quick conversation with them in Spanish, I think it surprised them a little and they just barely glanced at my passport and waved me through without problem or incident. I guess sometimes its the luck of the draw in terms of whom they"ll try to "pull one over on" .

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
...... i was given a high intensity aluminum cases 6 inch flashlight that the general public does not have cant buy and was never seen before by them...

NO WAY Edwarda!!! The same thing happened to me !!! They gave me some aluminum cases, but mine were low intensity, not high like yours. PM me so we can get together and talk about it. I would love to eat some of those pineapple thai cookies till I drop. I will bring my P.J.'s with the footsies. And then you can tell me where you buy your dope.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Dominican security at airports will try to rob and steal from most individuals. The month of December is when the wolves come out.
I think their main purpose at the airport is to steal from tourist. I don?t speak spanish but I usually open my passport to show how many times I have visited the Dominican Republic and they leave me alone. Once they tried to keep my rechargeable batteries and I stood my ground and said no way. Another time a customs agent told me I had to pay him US $10.00. I told him I paid for the tourist card and I don?t have to pay no more.
I never had any problems at Puerto Plata airport. I have experienced the majority of problems at Santo Domingo airport.
My last trip to Dominican Republic was in Sept. 2008 and usually tourists are waved through SDQ customs. This time I was detained by Dominican customs and two English speaking guys walked over to me and searched my luggage and asked me if I was carrying US $10,000.00 into the country. I had a stack of one dollar bills in one of my bags. I told him he is welcome count it. Then, he continued with the questioning which I found intrusive and I found myself become irritated. They never introduced themselves but I think they were working with the US federal government.
My two friends arrived a day before me encountered the same two guys at SDQ customs and were asked the same questions.
I have visited the Dominican Republic over 30 times for the past five years and I look at these incidents as a learning experience and hazards of traveling to DR. Just like experiencing panhandlers, rude behavior, bad drivers, really carefully crossing a street, everyone have their hand out for a dollar (that?s why I carry about 50 one dollar bill) and hookers that loves me.
My experiences of clueless Dominicans, beautiful women, the pool parties, ribs at Rockys, hanging at Classicos, the climate, a few good friends and the 3 ? hour flight three times a year for some fun a middle age guy will not experience in the US is worth it.
Basically, fun in the sun and what happens in DR stays in DR. These days I don?t even travel to DR for the women. I like meeting new people and hanging with my friends.
We are not promised tomorrow, so have some fun today and move on.

Job in airport security in DR is very desirable and to get it good connections are needed. It is a constant rich flow of cash. In POP airport their speciality is stealing batteries (just taking them, without any explanation), honey (claiming there is panal in it), fruits,and all other little things that their little sticky hands can grab fast (they say these things look strange and need to be removed).

In the totally corrupted country one can not get any legal recourse except praying Cuba to be open and to have direct flight ASAP and to leave those people behind to steal from themselves, not from us. When sooner or later they will have to live without our money - they will get what they well deserve.

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
In the totally corrupted country one can not get any legal recourse except praying Cuba to be open and to have direct flight ASAP and to leave those people behind to steal from themselves, not from us. When sooner or later they will have to live without our money - they will get what they well deserve.

We are praying too that Cuba opens up for you and that you and your bad attitude leave here pronto. We allow gringos that like our country to move here. The people like you that hate every dominican thing should go elsewhere.

Reactions: ExtremeR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Job in airport security in DR is very desirable and to get it good connections are needed. It is a constant rich flow of cash. In POP airport their speciality is stealing batteries (just taking them, without any explanation), honey (claiming there is panal in it), fruits,and all other little things that their little sticky hands can grab fast (they say these things look strange and need to be removed).

It illegal to take fruit, most other foods, included unpassurized honey from one country to another and battery are to be in your stowed luggage. If you follow the rules you won't have any problem. Only propina we ever paid was during the PRD.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
It illegal to take fruit, most other foods, included unpassurized honey from one country to another and battery are to be in your stowed luggage. If you follow the rules you won't have any problem. Only propina we ever paid was during the PRD.

Back to NY I checked with Continental. They confirmed that AA batteries are not prohibited in carry-on. Only large, vehicle type batteries are not allowed.And that honey from DR is allowed to USA ( the only exception is honey with panal). There is a special agreement between the two countries in this regard.

These people are thieves. Lazy. Not willing to work. Trying to steal.

Mar 2, 2008
While carrying honey might be legal in a check-in bag, all liquids, gels, and many other items are restricted in carry-on baggage.

This has been the case since the 'mixed bomb' arrests several years ago. I am sure everyone is familiar with that history.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
The Point

Why come at all, as has been previously suggested. Dios mio. Perhaps a trip to Washington Heights would save you the perceived hassle and your money. :ermm:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
going on 3 years with one minor problem. i had some condoms taken once. the thief didn't even have the nerve to take the whole pack. was i mad ? no, because i probably used some of them on his cousin :laugh:

La Verdad

Jan 4, 2009
going on 3 years with one minor problem. i had some condoms taken once. the thief didn't even have the nerve to take the whole pack. was i mad ? no, because i probably used some of them on his cousin :laugh:

I am glad you practiced safe sex with Miguel.

L V

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
While carrying honey might be legal in a check-in bag, all liquids, gels, and many other items are restricted in carry-on baggage.

This has been the case since the 'mixed bomb' arrests several years ago. I am sure everyone is familiar with that history.

Of course. Check-in.

They steal AA batteries? electric chargers and flash drives from carry-on and honey from check-in.