My tenant won't move out, and won't pay the rent either!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Pay him to leave. The reason 99% of renters don't pay is because they don't have any money.

I've done that in the states for many, many years and now instruct my property managers to do the same. I tell them I'll give them one months rent if they leave in a certain time and the place is in good shape.

Might work. Otherwise you'll lose for months as well as pay lawyer fees.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Pay him to leave. The reason 99% of renters don't pay is because they don't have any money.

I've done that in the states for many, many years and now instruct my property managers to do the same. I tell them I'll give them one months rent if they leave in a certain time and the place is in good shape.

Might work. Otherwise you'll lose for months as well as pay lawyer fees.

By far the easiest, simplest, quickest, and yes, cheapest way of getting the problem solved.

We insist on deposits at my complex, but if one of our tenants flakes, we give them a plato o plomo choice: eviction court in 10 days for the rent, late fees, interest, and significant attorneys fees OR $500 in their pocket and a day's rental for a U-Haul if they sign a consent order and leave the unit in good condition by day x.

Trust, it's a WHOLE lot cheaper than fighting with them.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
By far the easiest, simplest, quickest, and yes, cheapest way of getting the problem solved.

We insist on deposits at my complex, but if one of our tenants flakes, we give them a plato o plomo choice: eviction court in 10 days for the rent, late fees, interest, and significant attorneys fees OR $500 in their pocket and a day's rental for a U-Haul if they sign a consent order and leave the unit in good condition by day x.

Trust, it's a WHOLE lot cheaper than fighting with them.
Yup. we've been doing this for years. I think we've only had to evict maybe 4 tenants in numerous properties for 4 decades...

AND the tenant thinks you're a hero...

BTW, I LIKE the U-Haul idea. I'm passing it on. Excellent.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
CBs advice is good. Dont get all involved in what is right and you are not gonna let him get away with this sort of stuff. Its all about $. There are a good number of horror stories of people living rent free for years in the DR. Its especially bad if there are young children involved. You made a mistake.

US_Dominican

May 7, 2012
The law is not on his side. Yes it will be difficult to get him out, just like in the US, you have to go through a process. You will need to get yoursefl a lawyer. Next time, start the eviction process sooner rather than later.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
More important even than a deposit is a good, tight rental contract.

Well, I have never rented out my property without good clean references, references out trumps contracts and bonds, but money trumps all in DR, that it the problem, references are the norm in Europe, in DR I think they are almost unheard of.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
More important even than a deposit is a good, tight rental contract.
For what? Spending valuable time, emotions and $$$ on lawyers and legal processes chasing down someone who can't pay?

I got mine from Office Depot, a generic rental agreement to which I added just a couple of addendums (addendi? :cheeky:).

Taking a renter to court when they have no $$$ is a waste of time, resources and emotions, IMO. You can't squeeze blood from the proverbial turnip.Th

The *reason* most folks are renters in their own country is they don't have the resources to buy. That should tell you something right there...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
quick question, you got no deposit, does this renter have a contract??? if no getting him out is easy. lock him out, as long as there is no contract you have no problem.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
quick question, you got no deposit, does this renter have a contract??? if no getting him out is easy. lock him out, as long as there is no contract you have no problem.

If he has proof of rental payments being made in the past an agreement is supposed, be it verbal or written. A verbal agreement is also an agreement

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For what? Spending valuable time, emotions and $$$ on lawyers and legal processes chasing down someone who can't pay?

I got mine from Office Depot, a generic rental agreement to which I added just a couple of addendums (addendi? :cheeky:).

Taking a renter to court when they have no $$$ is a waste of time, resources and emotions, IMO. You can't squeeze blood from the proverbial turnip.Th

The *reason* most folks are renters in their own country is they don't have the resources to buy. That should tell you something right there...

You are making a lot of assumptions if you are talking about this case.

And I also do not agree with the poster who indicated that references are better than a contract. Both are better than either alone, but a contract is more protection if push comes to shove than references.

Getting a renter out of an apartment where he is not paying his rent is much easier if he is in violation of a written contract that is for a maximum of one year, spells out the monthly payments and when they are due, the termination of the contract if rental not paid by a specific date, etc. than if you just open your door to a renter.

Anyone who rents an apartment in this country before getting a signed contract is asking for trouble. This is especially true if you are a foreigner.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If he has proof of rental payments being made in the past an agreement is supposed, be it verbal or written. A verbal agreement is also an agreement

Are you a lawyer versed in the Dominican laws with respect to rental of property?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Are you a lawyer versed in the Dominican laws with respect to rental of property?
No, I'm not. Just common sense, considering that Dominican law is based on the same principles as the law in my homeland and probably most modern western countries.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You are making a lot of assumptions if you are talking about this case.

And I also do not agree with the poster who indicated that references are better than a contract. Both are better than either alone, but a contract is more protection if push comes to shove than references.

Getting a renter out of an apartment where he is not paying his rent is much easier if he is in violation of a written contract that is for a maximum of one year, spells out the monthly payments and when they are due, the termination of the contract if rental not paid by a specific date, etc. than if you just open your door to a renter.

Anyone who rents an apartment in this country before getting a signed contract is asking for trouble. This is especially true if you are a foreigner.
No assumptions, Ken, nor am I advocating not having a contract.

I just know through many years of experience there are better, cheaper and less expensive ways to get rid of a non-paying tenant than eviction.

An iron-clad contract guarantees a tenant won't drag the eviction into perpetuity and trash the property on their way out. It also won't guarantee a Dominican won't seek revenge if he "thinks" he's been wronged...after all, it's not his fault.

The goal is minimizing time, effort and treasure. There are better ways than lowering the boom...IMO.

But the FIRST mistake the OP made is being an absentee landlord. Next time I suggest the OP do some serious due diligence on a reputable property management company if he chooses to live in country where the property is not located.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
This is what you do

As long as it"s not a furnished apartment

Take all the doors out of the apartment including the front door say you need them for "another apartment"

hey it"s your apartment your doors.

If you don't have a rental agreement he can't prove that you promised him doors when you rented it to him