Names for trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Mirador said:
Maco, to my understanding all baptisms are formal affairs, and you have your folk herbs mixed up. Ruda (ruta graveolens) is mostly used in abortive preparations, so it is ironic your suggestion that it is used in baptism. You probably mean albahaca (ocimum basilicum), known as sweet basil in English, and extensively used in folk religion baptism rites, together with Holy Water (spring water gathered on Good Friday (Friday before Easter Sunday), and in the Southwest at 'La Aguita' in Maguana Arriba...

Yes, I am aware of the use of albahaca, but ruda is also used in what is called here a "bautizo de agua", which is "informal" in the sense that it is a ritual that takes place in the home, usually as a preliminary step to the more formal Church baptism. I acted as godfather in one such ritual here in the capital, and I was struck by the use of this herb, Ruda, instead of the expected basil. They tell me they use it because it is considered especially sacred. To be sure of the details I just doublechecked again with my wife. I was baptised at La Aguita myself, and i remember the ritual well and with great fondness. They used basil there, you are correct.

Now that you identified the scientific name, however, I was able to find the English name, which as I suspected is "Rue," -- a famous plant with significant biblical connotations. Here is one quick definition of its traditional significance:

"Rue has been used as a medicinal and "antimagic" herb for centuries. It was considered a reliable defense against witches."

So its use makes sense in the bautizo de agua, which is enjoined in part to protect the new soul in its first stage of life here on earth.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
macocael said:
Yes, I am aware of the use of albahaca, but ruda is also used in what is called here a "bautizo de agua", which is "informal" in the sense that it is a ritual that takes place in the home, usually as a preliminary step to the more formal Church baptism. I acted as godfather in one such ritual here in the capital, and I was struck by the use of this herb, Ruda, instead of the expected basil. They tell me they use it because it is considered especially sacred..... .

Maco, I can see where you get your confusion. A child, prior to baptism, is given a 'ba?o', to ward of the 'evil eye'. A preparation is made with three grains of salt, a garlic clove, all mashed in Agua Bendita, and sprinkled on the child with the ritual incantations. The 'bautizo de agua' is given in lieu of, not preliminary to Catholic Church baptism, and albahaca is invariably used, along with a large grain of salt that at one moment is placed on the child's mouth (tongue).

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Sorry Mirador, I am not at all confused, I was there, and I have seen these rituals several times over the years. I am sure these domestic practices vary from house to house, region to region, but the details I reported here are something I have witnessed repeatedly. The bautizo de agua is often given in lieu of a Catholic Church baptism, true, but it is also often a preliminary to the church ritual. Albahaca is not "invariably" used, it is commonly used -- ruda is a less frequent choice, hence my initial question, but it is used, and my wife and several family friends confirm that fact. That ruda should be prized for its sacred powers is not at all surprising, and the plant has a long symbolic tradition.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
macocael said:
Sorry Mirador, I am not at all confused, I was there, and I have seen these rituals several times over the years. I am sure these domestic practices vary from house to house, region to region, but the details I reported here are something I have witnessed repeatedly. The bautizo de agua is often given in lieu of a Catholic Church baptism, true, but it is also often a preliminary to the church ritual. Albahaca is not "invariably" used, it is commonly used -- ruda is a less frequent choice, hence my initial question, but it is used, and my wife and several family friends confirm that fact. That ruda should be prized for its sacred powers is not at all surprising, and the plant has a long symbolic tradition.

Macocael, I don't want to turn you into stone over this ;-), but according to my Southwestern tradition (Servidor del Misterio, La 21 Division, Corriente del Maestro Olivorio Mateo), ruda is used to ward off evil, and albahaca is used in baptism. Also, plants are not sacred per se, they are sacred inasmuch as they are used in a religious ritual or ceremony for a specific purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.