Need banking help/info please!!

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
Hey everyone! I have an important question to ask that hopefully someone can answer for me.
Ive recently started a cust serv job from home in Canada but will be moving back to Santiago in 2 weeks. My employer says that if I use a voip line he will allow me to continue working from the dr with no problems. The only thing is that he mails me cheques to my address in Canada every2 weeks and will not mail to dr. Anybody know how I can set this up to get my pay in dr? I can have someone deposit my cheques into my bank account in canada but using "interac", will I be able to withdraw anywhere on the north coast? Any other suggestions? Please and thank u!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You will be able to use your interac card to withdrawn from ATM and there will be a charge, usually around 3-5 dollars. Use
an ATM that is inside a bank.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Can your employer do a direct deposit to your Canadian bank account? Then you can do what Bob has suggested

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Use your ATM card at a BANK and no other place.

Tell your Canadian bank you will be RD for a while.

Return for a few days every 5 - 5.5 months. TRUST ME!

dropshort

May 18, 2008
DT

How are you going to initiate the transfer in Canada when you are not actually in Canada?
Do you have internet access to the wire transfer facility? Just a question!

I send and receive quite a few Bank to Bank Transfers. Do you understand SWIFT?

If YOU know what YOU are doing it works very well.

Why Banco Leon?

DS

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
DT How are you going to initiate the transfer in Canada when you are not actually in Canada.
Do you have internet access to the wire transfer facility? Just a question!

I send and receive quite a few Bank to Bank Transfers. Do you understand SWIFT?

If YOU know what YOU are doing it works very well.

Why Banco Leon?

DS

I bank with BHD in the DR and RBC in Canada.I can do international transfers of up to 2500 US per day. It usually takes around 24 hours for the money to be available.

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
Hello, thanks for the replies... I dont have alot of experience with this, the easiest solution seems to be using my interac card AT A BANK. my question now is, I have had a bank account with BHD in the past, but there atm's use ATH I beleive, will INTERAC from Canada work at these machines??

agw

Feb 14, 2010
If you have someone who will faithfully deposit your cheques for you every payday, you can use your regular debit card **INSIDE A BANK** with no problem in the D.R. I would suggest you carefully look at the charges your Canadian bank account will incur each time you make a withdrawal though. It can get pretty pricey.

I have an account with TD that lets me use ATM's anywhere in the world without any charges by TD. I just pay whatever fee the bank in the D.R. charges for non account holder use. I even got TD to issue me a separate debit card with lower daily and weekly limits to use while traveling so if my card was compromised, I can't get wiped out.

I also check my account online frequently to make sure nothing is out of order. I did have a problem once last year right after arriving in Punta Cana. I had forgotten to notify them I would be out of country again and after one completed transaction they put a hold on the card. Took only a few minutes to straighten out by phoning the number on the back of the card and answering the security questions.

The "inside a bank" advise is important. Those are the only machines I will use. What bank is less important to me as long as it is in a good neighbourhood and is busy enough to make me comfortable.

Good Luck!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hello, thanks for the replies... I dont have alot of experience with this, the easiest solution seems to be using my interac card AT A BANK. my question now is, I have had a bank account with BHD in the past, but there atm's use ATH I beleive, will INTERAC from Canada work at these machines??

Not a problem. I do it once a month. I actually find it cheap to transfer online from my Canadian account to my Dominican account than multiple use of the ATM.

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Not a problem. I do it once a month. I actually find it cheap to transfer online from my Canadian account to my Dominican account than multiple use of the ATM.

Bob, what method do you use to transfer your funds? My partner set up Dominican Accounts last time we were here. He got both a Peso account and a USD account.

Thanks.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
When ATM charges went up we simply wrote checks from U.S. banks at reputable cambistas like RUSA.
Depending on your bank's charges and interest rules, writing dollar checks at commercial xchg rates can be easier, quicker, cheaper and safer than transfers or using ATMs. We've found, over the long haul, we actually saved (i.e., "made") money by writing checks vs. using ATMs or putting dollars into local banks.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

If possible you would be better off to have your money deposited in your account in Canada where you know it is secure. If you can't go to direct deposit than continue to have your friend deposit it for you or make arrangements with your employer and your bank to accept a mailed check. The employer can simply mail the check to the bank for deposit. I do this in the states from time to time. Use a debit card when in the DR. It is easy, convenient and secure. You can open a bank account in the DR that you can deposit money into and just withdraw it as needed.

LTS