Need Help: Dominican Pilots Abroad

semperinfidelis

Apr 15, 2003
Hello Everyone,

I know this subject has been discussed before - probably beaten to death already, but I'll go ahead with my spiel.

I was delighted to read posts from months and years ago about Dominican pilots flying abroad. I'm an aspiring airline pilot and reading about the opportunties that various Dominicans have held as pilots encourages me to keep on goin'.

I'm a junior at Arizona State University pursuing a bacherlor's in Aeronautical Management Technology with a concentration in Profesional Flight. Mesa Airlines conducts our flight training through a subsidiary called Mesa Pilot Development. MPD functions as a 'bridge" between ASU graduates to Mesa Airlines. At the end of our four years, we interview with Mesa Airlines and look forward to flying as a first officer flying an ERJ 145 or CRJs 200/700/900s.

So far, the program has been promising and I would not have it any other way. The program is excellent. By next summer, I plan on obtaining my CFII certificate and Multi-Engine rating. MPD offers us the opportunity to instruct in your last year and half of school.

There's about five hispanics in the flight program - I'm the only Dominican. I feel quite proud of that - gotta represent. Where am I going with all this? Growing up I always wanted to be an airline pilot and I've been blessed with living in the U.S. a good part of my life to make that become more of a reality.

However, growing up as an aviation enthusiast I've never had any guidance as to how other Latino pilots have gone about flying for a living in the U.S.
Up until recently (this evening, actually), I was under the misconception that there weren't any Dominican pilots for any major U.S. airlines.

Essentially, I'd like to hear of any pilots out there in the community that can give me some guidance and offer up some good advice. Ideally, I'd like to build a connection with this pilots; hopefully, being able to "pick their brain"
about the airline industry and how they accomplished their goal.

Eventually, once I reach my goal of becoming an airline pilot, I'd like to give others guidance and show them ropes.

Any thoughts? Advice?

Cheers,
William

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Keep On Bro!!!

congratulations on trying to be a pilot, its a lot of fun and great way to know people....

That i know of there are not that many dominican pilots working in the US...

Unfortunately we lost a very good one a couple of days ago....

As you guys may know the pilot of the Challenger that Crashed in Colorado was a Dominican....Mr Luis Polanco....... he used to work for Bancredito and for E. Leon Jimenez before moving abroad to work in the US...... He was very succesfull and a very good pilot who made it in the tough aeronautics world of the US.......

Good luck with everything that u do and don`t look back on who says that is or isn`t possible... just do your thing....

Take Care...
STIOP

semperinfidelis

Apr 15, 2003
STIOP said:
congratulations on trying to be a pilot, its a lot of fun and great way to know people....

That i know of there are not that many dominican pilots working in the US...

Unfortunately we lost a very good one a couple of days ago....

As you guys may know the pilot of the Challenger that Crashed in Colorado was a Dominican....Mr Luis Polanco....... he used to work for Bancredito and for E. Leon Jimenez before moving abroad to work in the US...... He was very succesfull and a very good pilot who made it in the tough aeronautics world of the US.......

Good luck with everything that u do and don`t look back on who says that is or isn`t possible... just do your thing....

Take Care...
STIOP

STIOP

Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I learned about Luis Polanco the other day as well when I visited the El Nacional newspaper's website and there was an article about the accident. My condolonces go out to the families of those who perished. R.I.P.

Cheers,
Will

Flakko

Dec 5, 2003
Somebody in my family works for PAN AM (Boston-Maine Airways), as first officer flying from MA to NJ, since around September.
Flying the Jetstream 31, before he worked for Air Century and Caribair in DR.

He went to Fly Safety in Vero Beach, FL.

He's planning to apply for Continental Express and I know PAN AM (Boston-Maine) has more dominicans working for them, flying from Aguadilla to Las Americas.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
Pa'lante!...pa'tra ni pa' coger impulso...

semperinfidelis said:
Hello Everyone,

I know this subject has been discussed before - probably beaten to death already, but I'll go ahead with my spiel.

I was delighted to read posts from months and years ago about Dominican pilots flying abroad. I'm an aspiring airline pilot and reading about the opportunties that various Dominicans have held as pilots encourages me to keep on goin'.

I'm a junior at Arizona State University pursuing a bacherlor's in Aeronautical Management Technology with a concentration in Profesional Flight. Mesa Airlines conducts our flight training through a subsidiary called Mesa Pilot Development. MPD functions as a 'bridge" between ASU graduates to Mesa Airlines. At the end of our four years, we interview with Mesa Airlines and look forward to flying as a first officer flying an ERJ 145 or CRJs 200/700/900s.

So far, the program has been promising and I would not have it any other way. The program is excellent. By next summer, I plan on obtaining my CFII certificate and Multi-Engine rating. MPD offers us the opportunity to instruct in your last year and half of school.

There's about five hispanics in the flight program - I'm the only Dominican. I feel quite proud of that - gotta represent. Where am I going with all this? Growing up I always wanted to be an airline pilot and I've been blessed with living in the U.S. a good part of my life to make that become more of a reality.

However, growing up as an aviation enthusiast I've never had any guidance as to how other Latino pilots have gone about flying for a living in the U.S.
Up until recently (this evening, actually), I was under the misconception that there weren't any Dominican pilots for any major U.S. airlines.

Essentially, I'd like to hear of any pilots out there in the community that can give me some guidance and offer up some good advice. Ideally, I'd like to build a connection with this pilots; hopefully, being able to "pick their brain"

Eventually, once I reach my goal of becoming an airline pilot, I'd like to give others guidance and show them ropes.

Any thoughts? Advice?

Cheers,
William
One suggestion, contact major US carriers' and their respective chief pilot office; they're a wealth of info. Most "old timers" would love to share info with youngsters be it an ATR to a triple 7.They may be able to direct you to those latino pilots, who in turn will guide you to the Dominicanos.

...SEMPER PARATUS....

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
send me a PM...

semperinfidelis said:
Hello Everyone,

Any thoughts? Advice?

Cheers,
William

I'll put you in contact with a jet pilot (DOMINICANO DE PURA CEPA), he is also a certified flight instructor, has an A and P liscense, guy's top notch quality and works for a major carrier... :bunny:

semperinfidelis

Apr 15, 2003
Kaizen68 said:
I'll put you in contact with a jet pilot (DOMINICANO DE PURA CEPA), he is also a certified flight instructor, has an A and P liscense, guy's top notch quality and works for a major carrier... :bunny:

Thanks Kaizen68; I appreciate the help. My e-mail address is el_highlight@hotmail.com
if you don't mind giving it to him.

Cheers,
Will