Need help understanding the aftermath of an accident

E

engineerfg

Because my love of money is greater than my hatred of third world stupidity. Tough life I know.

Reactions: SantiagoDR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Because my love of money is greater than my hatred of third world stupidity. Tough life I know.

Ironic you call Dominicans "monkeys" and "backwards mud creatures" and then completely ignore how barbaric to the point of taking a life so many of your own countrymen act at a stupid sports match. Unbelievable.

FYI to all not all Dominicans are prone to mob activity as some would have one believe. These type of actions are ridiculed here and called barbaric as they are done in your home country.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
On a recent trip, we were driving one night, following an expat friend, when a bus did some crazy move, almost hitting his car. He got out of the car and went to the door of the bus to confront and argue with the driver, (probably not a smart move, but whatever.) Immediately the scene was surrounded by a swarm of moto conchos who were in no way involved in the incident, but were obviously acting in a way to intimidate him. Definitely an "us vs. them" situation. The situation never came to blows, but it was very tense for a few minutes. I can't even imagine what would happen if there were a real accident.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
On a recent trip, we were driving one night, following an expat friend, when a bus did some crazy move, almost hitting his car. He got out of the car and went to the door of the bus to confront and argue with the driver, (probably not a smart move, but whatever.) Immediately the scene was surrounded by a swarm of moto conchos who were in no way involved in the incident, but were obviously acting in a way to intimidate him. Definitely an "us vs. them" situation. The situation never came to blows, but it was very tense for a few minutes. I can't even imagine what would happen if there were a real accident.

Unless you guys understood what the moto conchos were saying I wouldn't be so sure they were going to take the word of the guagua driver because honestly they cuss them as much as anybody. What really happened more than likely was that they were curious as many Dominicans seem to enjoy watching a pleito.

E

engineerfg

Chip - do you live in a big city or in a small campo? Why are the Dominicans that you run into so much nicer than the pricks that the rest of us expats run into?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Chip - do you live in a big city or in a small campo? Why are the Dominicans that you run into so much nicer than the pricks that the rest of us expats run into?

33m6jbb.jpg

Everything is rosy if you wear the right glasses

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

I live in Santiago. I've never had a problem anywhere in the country other than maybe in some of the tourist areas. Of course this is generally the case, as there are sour pusses and rude people anywhere one goes in this world. This does not include the truck or public transportation drivers; many of them seem to be asses honestly.

What I have found out living here is that foreigners are perceived to be arrogant, quick to anger and cold or aloof. When one learns the "rules" that salutations are expected and important, even to mere acquaintances and much more so to neighbors one will find that people will be more engaging and in fact look forward to running into you in the street. This is a very social country and one can be a part of it or left out. One's Spanish doen't have to be that prisitine because a smile is worth a thousand words.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Speak for yourself!

I guess you should surround yourself with a better class of Dominicans.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

It's funny how some people just hate people of other cultures no matter what. These people see nothing good and only see the negative. The funny thing is, inside these people are uglier than the ones they hate. A closed mind is a very sad thing.

Reactions: bienamor

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

What I have found out living here is that foreigners are perceived to be arrogant, quick to anger and cold or aloof.
This is a very social country and one can be a part of it or left out. One's Spanish doen't have to be that prisitine because a smile is worth a thousand words.

Thats not fair man. All that stuff is subjective. You have the right to be arrogant, quick to anger, cold and aloof when you hire someone to do something and the guy says he knows how to do it but really has no idea...how to do it right. When you offer him direction he gets upsets with you that you think he is stupid, when clearly the level of his work demonstrates that. That you have to coddle his ego to get him to finish the job. All this allows you to be aloof and arrogant. When he expects to be paid a bonus because you are a foreigner but work was not finished on time NOR is it that good. You have a guy paint your wall and he gets paint strokes all on the ceiling. He doesnt have to use masking tape he could use a piece of cardboard at the juncture where the wall and ceiling meet, just like when he sweeping up. "Oh no, you dont know..." You can unscrew the sockets so not to paint the cover, "Oh ok I will do that" and then the dude paints right over the cover for the power sockets. "It is ok". No its not ok. I want you to do it right and beautiful, not sloppy and "ok".

About the accident....just aint right.

E

engineerfg

Speak for yourself!

I guess you should surround yourself with a better class of Dominicans.

Do you say this because you saw me at super colmado randy french kissing your maid? Or because you know me? or because...you're just making stuff up?

Ironically, the 'better class' of Dominicans, are actually BIGGER pricks than the peasants.

ie. All the rich donias in the supermarket near my area are all bitches to their maids. All the rich guys who are professionals are assholes to their wives and have 3 or 4 beeper chikas on the go at the same time, and well in general the more richer and 'better educated', the more racist against Haitians.

And sure, maybe the impressarios and medico's i'm spending my time with are all the exception and not the rule. But is everyone in bella vista the exception and not the rule?

So, so much for your theory!

E

engineerfg

It's funny how some people just hate people of other cultures no matter what. These people see nothing good and only see the negative. The funny thing is, inside these people are uglier than the ones they hate. A closed mind is a very sad thing.

A closed mind is also one that generalizes objective criticism as hatred.

I don't hate the Dominican culture or people. It's not hatred that makes me objectively point out that it's backwards to leave a toilet dirty, drive like a selfish dink, or walk away from a bleeding accident victim.

So cut the star-child, moon-child, flower-child hippy bs generalizations.

Bloody white liberals sure love to go to the jungle and just idolize everything that the pygmies do as better. Awwe they're so free and unencumbered with their grass skirts and and hunting spears and superstitious jungle ways. No. No they're not. We got the bomb, bullets, modern medicine and levi jeans. We won the IQ war. Bullets beat spears. QED!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I don't hate the Dominican culture or people. It's not hatred that makes me objectively point out that it's backwards to leave a toilet dirty, drive like a selfish dink, or walk away from a bleeding accident victim.

Bloody white liberals sure love to go to the jungle and just idolize everything that the pygmies do as better. Awwe they're so free and unencumbered with their grass skirts and and hunting spears and superstitious jungle ways. No. No they're not. We got the bomb, bullets, modern medicine and levi jeans. We won the IQ war. Bullets beat spears. QED!

There is a way to objectively criticize without sounding like you have no couth. Most Dominicans I've been around are cleaner in regards to personal hygiene than Europeans. Some brits have god-awful teeth. Does that mean all Brits have rotten breath. Objective criticism is properly given in a way that makes the individual feel that they they only have to make a few small changes and they'll be on the road to success. I've spent 30 plus years giving constructive feedback sessions to subordinates.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Do you say this because you saw me at super colmado randy french kissing your maid? Or because you know me? or because...you're just making stuff up?

Ironically, the 'better class' of Dominicans, are actually BIGGER pricks than the peasants.

ie. All the rich donias in the supermarket near my area are all bitches to their maids. All the rich guys who are professionals are assholes to their wives and have 3 or 4 beeper chikas on the go at the same time, and well in general the more richer and 'better educated', the more racist against Haitians.

And sure, maybe the impressarios and medico's i'm spending my time with are all the exception and not the rule. But is everyone in bella vista the exception and not the rule?

So, so much for your theory!

I don't have a maid, so I guess someone must be making stuff up?

I don't theorize, but it sure gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing your "BIGGER pricks" reality is different to mine :)

Enjoy... you sound like you're having a blast in the DR.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

It is amazing how you validate my post.

Reactions: Tamborista

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

Mr Engineer,
We have already ascertained from your previous posts that your standard of education and social appreciation and inability to find employment in your preferred environment has forced you to seek employment in shallower intellectual waters, and, who are we to gainsay such a brave footstep into the uncivilised and mysterious world outside of ..........?(Enter your own home town which you miss so much) and of course, we poor folk that live here because we like it are obviously totally deluded.
Some of us have even interbred with the local species, which, as a Darwinist,as you state you are, you must agree adds benefit to this evolutionary depleted race.
Those of us who have actually sunk to the simian level and manage to survive in this environment, appreciate your comments enormously and will adapt as soon as evolution permits.
In the mean time, it would be nice if your deprecatory comments to the natives and residents could be avoided unless a proof of intellectual superiority can be presented.

I would not enjoy being in the kitchen at a party with you sir.
You don't seem like a bundle of fun.

E

engineerfg

haha! okay you win! DR is the best, cleanest, most civilized place on earth, and it's full of the most caring, collectivist, socially and environmentally aware people in the world. And it's not garbage that I see on the streets and in the natural parks, no no, that's just the result of simian scat throwing. Thanks for clearing it up, it's not cultural, it's just genetic.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
As it is in England:
Litter facts

The amount of litter dropped yearly in the UK has increased by 500% since the 1960s.
Nearly half the population (48%) admit to dropping litter.
It is illegal to drop litter and you can be fined up to ?80 on the spot if you're caught littering.
Nearly 44,000 people were issued with fixed penalty notices last year for littering.
Litter costs the taxpayer nearly ?550m a year to clean-up.
MPs get more letters complaining about litter and dog fouling than anything else.
The most common litter today is smoking related, closely followed by fast food litter.
The rat population has boomed to 60 million due to the huge amounts of litter around. This means there are now almost as many rats as people in the UK.
Over 373,000 pieces of litter were found on beaches in the UK in 2006 - equivalent to 1,989 items per kilometre - the Marine Conservation Society reports a 90% increase in beach litter since 2004.