Need help.Worker suing me after I let him go

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I also want to mention that Mr AE’s brother took our caretaker to the labor dept in Santo Domingo when we let him go (we were out of the country). He was told that domestic employees do not get severance and we only owed the vacation and 13 th month.   We paid that and he signed the receipt, then we chose to give him a bit extra. 

Everyone had told him we owed him about 80,000 pesos

this seems like critical information to the OP. maybe his attorney can present a case that his capacity is as a domestic employee?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Go to the labour ministry. Give them the dates and the circumstances. They have a formula that they use and they will tell you whether this guy is entitled to severanxe and how much it will be. Unfortunately in this country regardless of the reasons for firing workers are entitled to full severance.

Only if you have perfectly documented reasons for firing, and have warned him numerous times in writing, he might not be owed severance. And yes, the ministry sets the amount by a formula , not a lawyer. The ministry will side with him. He will almost certainly get additional money under the circumstances you describe.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Only if you have perfectly documented reasons for firing, and have warned him numerous times in writing, he might not be owed severance. And yes, the ministry sets the amount by a formula , not a lawyer. The ministry will side with him. He will almost certainly get additional money under the circumstances you describe.

Even if you give liquidation have to do it with the correct papers, and comunications to the labor department, thats the only way you can protect yourself. At the labor department acept as true everything a worker want to tell them, so the Employee is the one that must proof the worker is telling lies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You must file the complaint- part of the 3 strike rule - at the Labor Ministry

If you have ever rented - that works in favor of the employee
meaning against you.... you become a business in their eyes

These rules are fluid..

get while the gettin's good......

out, out and out
don't look back

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I would give up on trying to get a termination for just cause as I don't believe you can submit the occurrences after the fact. I have used the online site in the past without a problem. Eventually I used a payroll company. I funded the account and they paid the employees, taxes and insurance and when terminations took place they did the calculations. It was WELL worth the 5 or 6 % they charged me.
Understand if an employee goes to the Secretaria they will have an official document from them but if you understand Spanish you will quickly see that it only states that they filed the complaint.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I was always of the impression that domestic staff are not entitled to severance or any other benefits.  Ask a middle class Dominican who hires domestics how they would handle it.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
You must file the complaint- part of the 3 strike rule - at the Labor Ministry

If you have ever rented - that works in favor of the employee
meaning against you.... you become a business in their eyes

These rules are fluid..

get while the gettin's good......

out, out and out
don't look back
Yup!
Sooo correct.
Remember here in RD there are no social safety nets... no welfare ; no unemployment Insurance . So you pay.
Russell

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was always of the impression that domestic staff are not entitled to severance or any other benefits.  Ask a middle class Dominican who hires domestics how they would handle it.

AE might have a very good point, which might be applied to the OP's benefit.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Again --- not always but maybe, sometimes the domestic employee rule applies

Not if the property is owned by a corporation.
House, domesticity fly fast out the proverbial window.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That seems to be true -
but like everything else , the final decision seems to vary - case by case, location by location... etc by etc

I’m sure that’s true. I also wonder if the rules are fluid between a Dominican employer and a gringo. We had that advantage 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wanted to add that WW is right. If you’ve ever rented your property, ever sold an avocado or mango, etc., they will consider the employee differently, as a business employee. 

Beeza, all my inlaws are middle/upper middle Dominicans. Domestic employees do not get liquidation, only vacation and double December 

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

We as Expats are not afforded same leeway as middle class Dominicans. Right or wrong the average employee expects more from us and will run to the Secretaria in a NY minute.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Not necessarily, we have had several cases where they have not decided in favor of the employee.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
Summer 2017,I hired a worker full time to take care of my house in Cabarete.
Tasks were mainly:pool , garden, cleaning inside house ,turn A/C a bit when I was not here, presence in the house:I am still not living permanently.Was supposed to work from 8:00am to 3pm with 1 hour break for lunch from Monday to Friday and on Saturday from 8:00 to noon.

In December,I installed webcams for security reasons .I am getting notified by email with pictures when they are motions within the house .
By looking at the time when I was getting the pictures,I noticed that the worker was working just a couple of hours .Basically, was taking advantages that I was not there to show-up late and leave very early.

When I arrived last week ,we found the house dirty so based on this I decided to let him go.
I paid him whatever I owned him and gave him 2 weeks as severance.

I am back in the US and now I am getting notified that I have to be in court on the 28th for a labor issue.
I directly contacted the worker to understand the reason. Was telling me that he wants US$1000 for termination.
I asked him why ? He told me because it's what his lawyer can get for him.No further answer ......

When I let him go ,we were quite clear about the performance issue.The whole discussion was done in front of the head of the security of the community .Head of security shared that he was seeing him sleeping quite a lot !

I cannot go back to DR for the 28th ,date I suppose to be in court.

What do you suggest ?

Thank you.
First of all, how long was he employeed by you? Did he sign a paper when he recieved his severence?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I also want to mention that Mr AE’s brother took our caretaker to the labor dept in Santo Domingo when we let him go (we were out of the country). He was told that domestic employees do not get severance and we only owed the vacation and 13 th month.   We paid that and he signed the receipt, then we chose to give him a bit extra. 

Everyone had told him we owed him about 80,000 pesos

Was just going to chime in with my 2 cents.

I saw this second hand, from both sides of the aisle, very recently.

Family member who worked ( and lived on premises ) in a house in POP ( for a dominican family ), was told to leave, for no reason ( well no reason, meaning, no problem with her work, etc...etc.....).
She wanted to file a complaint. They told her no can do. You got your holidays and extra " december" pay, thats all you are entiteled to.

Another case was my SIL getting rid of maid/house help who had worked for 7 years for her.
Same answer. Holidays were not taken, but paid. December double salary was paid. Thank you, bye bye.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
We as Expats are not afforded same leeway as middle class Dominicans. Right or wrong the average employee expects more from us and will run to the Secretaria in a NY minute.

That is correct. And they will win a severance most of the time. After one year of another employee in a Domestic job I was ordered by Secretaria to pay three months salary, vacation pay and X2 December.
So I paid it and said nothing.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017

That is correct. And they will win a severance most of the time. After one year of another employee in a Domestic job I was ordered by Secretaria to pay three months salary, vacation pay and X2 December.
So I paid it and said nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.