New Atlantic Highway to Open Tommorrow

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Road construction must be paid back and the first payments are a b*tch...

Once the initial funds from tolls at the present rate cover enough of the mandatory payments, they'll be reduced a lot...

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Once the initial funds from tolls at the present rate cover enough of the mandatory payments, they'll be reduced a lot...
I heard that one before....The tolls for the Garden State Parkway would discontinued as soon as the bonds were paid off. 60 years later, still tolls. I think that may qualify as the third most common lie that is told.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Road construction must be paid back and the first payments are a b*tch...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...Thanks for the laugh. That would be the first time anything is reduced in The DR just for heck of it. The Dominican way as you know it is to keep increasing it, even if they just get one vehicle a day...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
WOW! At last...we'll get to drive it on Monday. See you on the beach Steve! It will seem strange, we've been driving that mountain road since it was a path back in 1982. I remember kids with shovels standing by the side waiting for a few pesos to fill in the potholes. I'm sure they unfilled them as soon as we were out of sight. Last year we saw a couple of kids doing the same thing, haven't seen that for years...a great tradition. More jobs lost.

Finally somebody finds some 'Shovel Ready Jobs'

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...Thanks for the laugh. That would be the first time anything is reduced in The DR just for heck of it. The Dominican way as you know it is to keep increasing it, even if they just get one vehicle a day...

Yeah like a tax going down!!!! NEVER HAPPENS. look at ITBS or any sales tax in any country.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I heard that one before....The tolls for the Garden State Parkway would discontinued as soon as the bonds were paid off. 60 years later, still tolls. I think that may qualify as the third most common lie that is told.

Ditto for the New York State Thruway.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Always complaining

The forum seems to change in a place where people always are complaining....

The new tol road is expensive! Ok, take the old road !!! Its costing nothing and is better than before.
Everything is getting more expensive. Correct. Like whatever other place in the world!!!

Where ever you are living or want to live... paradise does NOT exist. And if paradise exist, its because of yourself!!!

I am very happy living here in Samana. Since more than 7 years now. Beautiful place, nice people, nice beaches, quiet.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
The new highway tolls far exceed what could be considered fair. If one goes to the airport and back from Las Terrenas it is a short journey and 900RD is too expensive for most people residing here. It is also not in line with other tolls for longer sections of new highway.

The old road has been upgraded but the potential cost is substantial as it is not as safe a route and also harder on smaller vehicles. It is a very dangerous road and many people do not seem to have an appreciation here of how to treat brakes therefore endangering others lives unnecessarily. Even "professional" drivers do not understand how to drive downhill. It is just not right that people have to use a less safe road due to tolls set beyond the normal budget.

For some paradise does exist although maybe not here on earth. Meanwhile there is still a quest for paradise for some. Here it is not the surroundings that make paradise elusive, but the people. Your happy lifestyle here is not be be taken for granted and things were not always like this. In fact people have a happier living here because people try to facilitate positive change through things like these forums, but if you choose to consider it only complaints then you are better off spending your time on the beach while others try to make a few improvements