New Dominican Tourism Campaign

Vote for all the new tourism campaigns that you like:

• Total voters
Aug 6, 2006
I would say that you can't say much in a short ad like these. They are well done, for what they are. The effectiveness or lack of same will perhaps be apparent when they compare the number of visitors after the ads have been shown with those before the ads have been shown.

It is easy to criticize advertising. The Dominican Republic may have it all (except for winter sports) but the ads certainly cannot show it all. All in all, these are very attractive ads. It makes the DR resemble a sort of Epcot-style Dominican place. Very hygienic, very showy.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I would say that you can't say much in a short ad like these. They are well done, for what they are. The effectiveness or lack of same will perhaps be apparent when they compare the number of visitors after the ads have been shown with those before the ads have been shown.

It is easy to criticize advertising. The Dominican Republic may have it all (except for winter sports) but the ads certainly cannot show it all. All in all, these are very attractive ads. It makes the DR resemble a sort of Epcot-style Dominican place. Very hygienic, very showy.

the visuals are very appealing; the narrative is very amateurish.

May 29, 2006
I've seen better ads for the DR on Univision. I think they should cater more to the golf demographic. Those are folks who will come back for the cheap green fees and spend real money on hotels and food.

They have Cabarete in one of the ads but barely any kite-boarding..

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
The 'DR Has It All' campaign builds on a theme that goes back at least to 2009.
The following promotion from back then I think showcases the DR and makes it an attractive destination. Unfortunately, it is too long for a 30 second ad spot.

[video=youtube;m9QfuAtyrZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9QfuAtyrZY[/video]

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The campaign reminds me of the "Old Question",....
"What Do You Give The Girl Who,..."Has It ALL"?????????
"Penicillin"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since most tourists never leave their hotel, it shows what the beaches are like
"Sex Tourism" is a HUGE part of the industry, they should show more "Bitches", and fewer "Beaches"!!!!
Makes me wonder if there are any "Negros" in the DR!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 29, 2006
Way back about 30 years ago, the Canadian show Second City TV did a spoof on a retired couple that just came back from South Africa. They stayed at a Holiday Inn, went swimming in the hotel pool and had a great dinner that included a steak and baked potato. In other words, they could have had the same experience just about anywhere in the world, including back in Canada..

I just don't get why some people travel so far simply to sit in a lounge chair all day by a pool reading a book.

Aug 6, 2006
Then there are the cruises, in which you spend two days gambling with heavy odds against you and feeding your face to every day shopping for stuff you would never buy back home. Trapped on a boat for ten days surrounded by fellow insurance salesmen from Ft. Wayne, waited on by Romanians and Bulgarians, convincing yourself you are "seeing the world.". Well you are seeing more of it than you would in Orlando, Dollywood or Branson, at least.

But, again, it is a matter of taste, and to each his own.

Aug 6, 2006
The 'DR Has It All' campaign builds on a theme that goes back at least to 2009.
The following promotion from back then I think showcases the DR and makes it an attractive destination. Unfortunately, it is too long for a 30 second ad spot.

[video=youtube;m9QfuAtyrZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9QfuAtyrZY[/video]

This is a great ad.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
All ads shown completely miss the point. Granted, the visual footage is great and nicely edited but come on, who are we fooling here?

The advantage of the Dominican Republic over many other Caribbean destinations is that it is closer and cheaper than most of them. It's a niche market. The D.R. Tourism Ministry should specifically target colder climate visitors who can't afford St. Bart's.

Whoever thought that putting subway cars in a tourism video (Santo Domingo) was a good idea should be fired. I don't care how clean and smooth and new the S.D. Metro is, it's the last thing that a strap hanger wants to see on vacation.

Oh yeah, I'm with CCCCCCCCCCCCCcccccc

More honey, less money.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Way back about 30 years ago, the Canadian show Second City TV did a spoof on a retired couple that just came back from South Africa. They stayed at a Holiday Inn, went swimming in the hotel pool and had a great dinner that included a steak and baked potato. In other words, they could have had the same experience just about anywhere in the world, including back in Canada..

I just don't get why some people travel so far simply to sit in a lounge chair all day by a pool reading a book.
A cousin of my mum's and her late husband were like that. We called them "the Hilton hoppers".

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Great ad except the music is a cheap rip-off of this classic by Israel-what's -his name.

[video=vimeo;8578344]http://vimeo.com/8578344[/video]

And any advertisement about the DR that doesn't contain bachata or merengue is no authentic in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Grey", "Leonel", and his "cronies" spent about 2 BILLION US dollars on that "Metro"!!!
Since it is not really needed, he had to use it for Something!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC