New Forum Software - disappearing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I spent a fair bit of time today trying to figure out why a particular thread that I am interested in reading wasn't being displayed in its appropriate forum even though new posts in that thread were being summarized in the recent post box on the right side of the home page.

It seems that if you have a user on ignore, any thread started by that ignored user is hidden from view even if the thread contains a thousand posts by non-ignored users.

Un-ignoring the user restores the visibility of the thread. Subsequently ignoring the user again hides all the threads that users has started.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
There are some quirks. As an example I try to thumb up a members post and nothing happens.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I also get, "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors"

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
The frontpage looks good, the rest looks terrible for me. See attached. Cannot use the forum like that.

Attachments

• dr1capture.JPG
    dr1capture.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 408

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I also get, "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors"

I've seen that too and am told that the issue is being worked on. Seems to be related to starting a new thread as opposed to replying to an existing one.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Forget what I just said...

"This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors. "

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Apparently designed for the sight impaired. Way too much wasted space.

One suggestion: it looks like each day when news article are added, they will be listed individually as new posts. It was better when the news was kept separate. Once I read the news, I don't need to see each article listed in new posts when I look for new posts from the forums.

Other than that, change always causes waves. I will just assume there was a reason for the redesign. And live with it. The positives outweigh any negative. Valla con Dios.

Reactions: XTraveller

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

One suggestion: it looks like each day when news article are added, they will be listed individually as new posts. It was better when the news was kept separate. Once I read the news, I don't need to see each article listed in new posts when I look for new posts from the forums.

Other than that, change always causes waves. I will just assume there was a reason for the redesign. And live with it. The positives outweigh any negative. Valla con Dios.
I think this feature is for people to comment o the news article, similar to Dominican Today.

Reactions: aarhus

Waitman

DR1
Dec 12, 2016
waitman.net
It's easier to comment on and share an individual news post. I don't think the other site you mentioned has a forum, just an unmoderated facebook plugin. I have noticed there's almost always a post on that site about working at home and getting rich, etc.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Sr Waitman,

I know you are busy and some issues are more important but if you have time can you please give an idea where the "moderator approval" issue sits on your to do list?

Thx.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Waitman,

Another issue for the bottom of the list. While attempting to view "Your content" from the user menu I get:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Using a smiley from the drop-down menu produces an error message and post is not posted.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

I think its a great idea with each news article is added as a post.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Just posted on the Coronavirus in DR thread and five minutes later the thread was not to be found in "New posts"(?). This has happened several times.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't think your own posts will trigger the thread to appear in "New Posts", everyone else will see it as new though. You'll have to wait for someone else to post.

Reactions: cavok

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just posted on the Coronavirus in DR thread and five minutes later the thread was not to be found in "New posts"(?). This has happened several times.
I don't think your own posts will trigger the thread to appear in "New Posts", everyone else will see it as new though. You'll have to wait for someone else to post.
Just click on the x by “show only: unread x” and you’ll see all the posts

Reactions: cavok

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
AE, no Off Topic in sight? Any updates...

Have you considered the possibility that the disappearance of the "Off topic" thread (to include American politics) is a feature of the new software rather than a bug?
I have...
and I am a paid up member, in good standing, of my local chapter of dr1 lap top cops.
It may be an intentional cooling off period or it may be more permanent.
Or maybe I am totally off base.
All those things are possible.

Reactions: aarhus
Status
Not open for further replies.