New Franchise Coming To SDQ in 2018

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Time will tell if its Boom or Bust'ers there. There are a whole series of videos on the place.

[video=youtube;SbZA05gikAs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbZA05gikAs[/video]

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
......never thought of a Subway as upscale.... went to a BIG one in Santiago last year.....valet parking and big prices dont make it upscale.......in USA they are the cheap guys in fast food....not sure they are still there.....Doc........
We eat Subway in Santiago fairly often. Few non-colmade restaurants are cheap. A $250 peso sammich at Subway is better than a $250 peso sammich at many other places including the one I had today at a more upscale place.

I ike Subway food and hope the Santiago location, the fanciest I have ever seen, remains and makes money.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Everytime I go to Santiago I stop by Subway. My Dominican wife loves it. I think it's the biggest/nicest Subway I've ever been in. Clean/modern bathrooms. The quality was on par with the US. Employees were well trained - service was great. Prices weren't that much more than in the US. I think the main difference was the 18% VAT.

The Pizza Hut in Santiago is good, too. Much better than the one in SDQ. My wife and I were the only customers in the one in SDQ and I had to get up from my table to get a waitress. Lousy service and poor quality control on the pizza. I'll never go back to that one.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
The no sunglasses to be worn in premises, no underwear and excessive skin showing will keep many potential customers away. What's next, no loud talking on the cell phone? What kind of fun place is that?...:0)

That could be read/interpreted a couple of ways. I interpreted it as it was written, literally, as in "No sunglasses to be worn in premises, no underwear (as in underwear is not permitted), and excessive skin showing (as in skin should be showed, the more/excessive, the better).

A clearer restriction/wording might go something like this "No sunglasses to be worn in premises, no underwear NOR excessive skin may be shown."

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Duo, the new restaurant on El Conde and Espaillat is open for business: valet parking available, outside sitting and very attentive staff. I only stopped to view the menu, drinks selections and get the feel of the place. I will visit soon and try their salmon, spinach dip, banana cheesecake and a few drinks and report back.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
well they do try - the Denny's in Sto Dom tried to be an "upscale" resto - put in a bar even.. and a pretty lousy menu.. and lost all the very "Denny" feeling and taste and all... don't know about the one at the airport... Those guys pay a lot for the franchise and it is kinda sad to see them go under because they do not follow the formula that make the places such a success back in the USA.... IHOP opened and closed at the mall in SD... since their prices were way too high ... and service WAY too slow... lots of mistakes -- KFC has had more than one or two or three cases of tummy upset from the cole slaw...

Nathans appears to be still ok.. with - I think - one store on Churchill...
and their franks appearing sometimes at one store, sometimes at another

Chili's still thrives - despite having a very high priced ticket
and
TGIF - despite having a noise volume of a 80's heavy metal concert

Has the Denny's on Gustavo Mejia Ricart and the other on the Conde closed? I'm pretty sure the airport one is long gone.

I had a long conversation with the franchise owner back when they first opened on Gustavo Mejia Ricart.

Still brand new, and I was telling him they didn't have my favorites: Grits and biscuits and gravy. I told him he could buy instant grits at the supermarket, mix them with hot water, and probably charge 4 times what they cost him.

He said he'd look into it. A couple of weeks later, I had the great idea of ordering a side of gravy (not on the menu but came with chicken fried steak) and a side of biscuits and had my biscuits with gravy.

Did that for two more weeks, then was told the owner nixed the idea. A week later, they eliminated the chicken fried steak with gravy.

But what used to burn me up the most was them running out of hash browns. HASH BROWNS!!! They'd run out at least once a month or more.

They'd bring out a plate that was supposed to have hash browns, but there weren't any, so they'd substitute french fries.. and CHARGE FOR THEM!!!

I gave up after another couple of weeks.

If they closed, tough poop. They deserved it.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
JD it was sacrilege to get rid of the chicken fried steak, although they really did not do it that well anyway. But no biscuits and sausage gravy glad they are closed. think the one on el conde is still open not sure about ricart was by it the other day but did not look to see if open

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Denny's at the Downtown Mall at S Juan in Bavaro has Breakfast Specials like in the US. But none of them come with coffee. So you pay like 70 pesos for a cup of coffee. Want a refill, pay another 70 pesos. Total price is at least 3 times or more what you pay in the US. And I don't have to tell you about the service, or lack of.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Not to say that it has not happened within the history of the world, but a sole franchise location listening to the request of one or two customers, and then implementing that request is not a likely scenario. Particuarly, when it comes to alterating the menu. Those requests usually have to be processed through corporate channels. A private entity is much more likely to attempt to satisfy the customer, even if it is only for grits and gravy.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Not to say that it has not happened within the history of the world, but a sole franchise location listening to the request of one or two customers, and then implementing that request is not a likely scenario. Particuarly, when it comes to alterating the menu. Those requests usually have to be processed through corporate channels. A private entity is much more likely to attempt to satisfy the customer, even if it is only for grits and gravy.

I think you would agree Denny's is mainly a breakfast/brunch/lunch restaurant.

This DR franchise built their business from the ground up with a completely full bar and nightly live entertainment.

I'd bet not a single person walked up to these folks and said, "Hey, why don't you build a breakfast place with a bar?"

I'd go to different Denny's in the states and show pics of the bar just for the heck of it, and they'd all ask "Why does a Denny's have a bar?"

I never suggested altering the menu, I simply suggested they offer on the menu what most other Denny's have, and is probably one of their biggest selling items: Biscuits and gravy. Heck, it didn't even have to be on the menu - just let me order it!

It's beyond me why they could sell biscuits, they had gravy, but they didn't see any financial benefit in selling biscuits and gravy to a customer who asked for it every.single.week.

I'm almost ashamed to admit I went there every Sunday morning for over a year trying to support their business.

But, all's well that ends well. I quit eating there, started eating more healthy, and I'm down 70 pounds.

They can take their lack of biscuits and gravy and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Congratulations on losing five stones. Not a simple task at all. In regards to the establishment, I only observed the location within SDQ, and I believe that it has been shuttered for at least a year and a half now.