New here need advice

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Smooth, you are young, if you never fail then you will never do anything great. If you fail but have tried then you have grown in many ways. If you try and succeed then you yourself are a success, and that is all anyone can ask for from life. Never fail because you didn't try, that can be the biggest regret of all, and never ever take what someone says he knows on a computer as being a reality, one thing you will notice within a few weeks of arrival, there are more actors in the Republic than in Hollywood, everyone knows something about nothing and not a lot about what they may tell you.
Make it your own, have fun, use your head, keep to who you are,never try to integrate into Dominican mentality and you have a good chance of being one of the stubborn few who refused to be be beaten by the place. All the best and good luck to the both of you.
If he were your son would you tell him the samething. Life we be VERY difficult for him in the DR, hell its difficult for people who has been there all their lives. I tell many people this about the DR as far as comparing. Go to Panama City Panama first, then go to Santo Domingo or Santiago then go to San Juan Puerto Rico. Now you are ready decide on the country best suited for you. The Dominican Republic is very hard.

I know for a fact a lot of people who chose to live in DR are now very unhappy, but they put all their "eggs in one basket" now there stuck. I will say it again the DR is very hard.

The partys and the women eventually stops in the DR and reality kicks in and it kicks hard as HELL!!!!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If he were your son would you tell him the samething.

I would indeed tell my son to follow his heart, his instinct, his drive for adventure. I can't think of anything less inspirational to say to a son than never try anything lots of people have failed at, that for me is terrible advice if you have faith in your children. If you on the other hand consider your son to be a failure and not capable of doing more with his life than maybe you have, or people you happen to know have then by all means advise him to take a weekend trip to Disney land, then come back and continue visiting mum and dad for Sunday lunch for the rest of his life.
You get out of the Dominican Republic what you put into it, and that goes for everything in life.
For me, I want my children to be great, and so I don't mind if they fail, because as I have said, if you never fail you will never do anything great.
If you've got a decent job the DR is just as easy as anywhere else to live, infact when you've got good work it is great, it is very difficult to adjust if you don't have a great job, but it isn't hell if you consider that then you ain't lived. There is no need for the drama, it is a Caribbean country a couple of hours flight from the US, no one is going to frontline Afghanistan, chill out, it's a frinkin holiday destination, if you don't likeit then go tothe airport and be home in 5 hours!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
While living here in DR is no walk in the park sometimes your still young so you have time for mistakes. As a previous post Puerto Plata, Santiago and Santo Domingo are very different in what they offer. If those are the 3 you have narrowed it down to then spend alittle time in each one before making a final decision. While Santo Domingo has a lot to offer it comes at a price. Puerto Plata is a bit more touristy I guess but it is nice. Santiago would be my choice of the 3 although I have never spent much time there. The location is central so you can still get out and experience the country. I will tell you the same thing I would tell my son, use common sense and be aware of your surroundings. And if it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't true. Good luck in your adventure.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
This is silly.
Two guys from Washington, D.C.
Unemployed?
What skill set, beside hyper-uber-pleasure-seeking hormones?

This is a disaster waiting to happen unless there is some depth to these individuals...

Sorry, do not see this ending well.

HB

You think everybody in Washington is employed!? You think everybody who is looking for jobs in Washington actually get jobs?

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Yo Smooth, you need to think about 1 particular thing at the first place.. HOUSING!

I live on the "good side" of the bridge, in El Conde. I'm also a young boy. I pay $475 a month. BUT I DON'T WORK HERE, I got my dollars and euros to back me up. A friend of my works at a job I consider good, tho in all fairness I don't know the salaries here in Santo Domingo.

He's in telemarketing (requires English and Spanish) and he makes around 6500 DOP every 2 weeks and that's without sales. So I would say he brings in like 14000 DOP a month without sales = like $360 a month.

Once again, I don't know other salaries.. but I don't know what job is better for a young boy. I don't even think working in a store is getting paid more.

So with that being said, first trying to find out about the housing market.. cos if I pay $475 a month (furnished tho, good area and all that) and the least I saw was 12000 DOP unfurnished (still in good area tho) I can't imagine what it is you're trying to get.

So if you got a couple of 1000's on you and / or both you and your brother are willing to put in that work then basically there is nooo problem at all!

But if you're coming here broke and think that salary here will give you the good life, hahahahahahell no!!!

authoryourdreams

Dec 15, 2009
www.PublishingSOLO.com
Send Lawyers Guns & Money

ahhhh... the naivety of youth.... or is it the power of testosterone. either way, this will be interesting.

Warren Z saw this one coming:

Warren Zevon Lawyers, Guns and Money - YouTube

Great Answer. Hey, Guys...please just try the vacation angle first. You could get a job as a waiter perhaps and maybe make 100 pesos an hour with good tips on a good day! That's about $2.50 an hour. All these towns you mentioned are incredibly diverse and unique. You might visit here, got to the different towns, and then decide before you acutally move here!

I have been living here part-time for 3 years, and now I just discovered another part of the D.R. that I want to move to on a more permanent basis. Take your time, explore, discover, look before you leap, soak it in, the good, the bad, the beautiful, and the ugly...

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
You think everybody in Washington is employed!? You think everybody who is looking for jobs in Washington actually get jobs?

Let me tell the job market in D.C. is like night and day compared to Miami. Everybody in Miami is looking for work not D.C.

May 12, 2005
If the OP were to write a book about his living in DR.............................

natural-disaster-floods.jpg

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I have know good plumbers, carpenters, fitters ( air-con etc ) , tilers get by quite ok. All very basic low level trade school skills. Also site supervisors. Santo Domingo would be best to start as there is good American ex-pat community for work.
New motorcycles start at $800.
pi2.