New in dr1 and want to move to DR - Gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Welcome to DR1!

Hope you have a fun and happy experience here.

If you're on a budget, consider a roommate. Harleys and others might be able to plug you into the local community scene, but remember straight people like saving money too, lol.

Best of luck.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
[video=youtube;Qw9oX-kZ_9k]x[/video]?????????

My great uncle Floyd and his wife, Harriet were gay. They were BFF's and quite frankly they were the happiest and most well adjusted couple I've ever known. Back in the 40's and 50's that was the only form of "gay marriage" available.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
My great uncle Floyd and his wife, Harriet were gay. They were BFF's and quite frankly they were the happiest and most well adjusted couple I've ever known. Back in the 40's and 50's that was the only form of "gay marriage" available.

If it works, don't fix it. :)

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Try a place call River gate condo in the colonial city, you can look for it on the internet. That is a place that has rooms, 1 and 2 bedrooms condo mainly occupied by English speaking people. Very nice in deed I stay there all the time when I go to the city.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Sorry called River Gate Condos. Speak to Marshall the owner son, he would take good care of you. By the way they accept Paypal deposit payments.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
First of all. Be you...whoever that is...

You will find that there is a larger concentration of gay men in the cities - Santiago, Santo Domingo and others. Whether or not that means anything to you - is up to you. However, there are plenty of people in el campo who are quite comfortable with who they are and carry not the least bit of shame about it. However - they are not stupid. Neither do they walk up and down the streets of Gaspar Hdz holding hands - nor would they do it in say, the Bronx or Branson. It is not a part of their personality.

If you are OK with you, you are respectable, honest, direct and sincere - and CYA always - you will be just fine - and can meet some quality people. As others indicate there are plenty of sankies, hustlers, buggarones and ne'er do wells. Your gay for pay'dar will go off immediately. Skip the trick and wait for the treat...

Live a few months in the city. Live a few months in the country. I find it is nice to visit mega malls and go shopping and visit the Malecon and Naco and all that - and then get on a bus and go back to quiet and ocean waves. Not for all...just my $.03 worth today.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I don't see any problem with him posting his sexual orientation. Not every country in the world is welcoming towards gays. There's places in which being gay, black or a female will get you treated differently.
There was once an article on Marie Claire magazine about American Women who got into trouble abroad for not knowing the culture.
There were several stories: a woman who bathed in the rain and was taken as a prostitute, another one got on a bus full of men, and everyone started touching her because they thought she was a prostitute. There was also another woman who went to the police to report a guy she met who robbed her and forced her to have oral sex...then surprise!!!! Women couldn't file police e reports in that country.

Anyway, before you go anywhere, it's good to know the local culture and not just assume that most things will be like at home.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I don't see any problem with him posting his sexual orientation. Not every country in the world is welcoming towards gays. There's places in which being gay, black or a female will get you treated differently.
There was once an article on Marie Claire magazine about American Women who got into trouble abroad for not knowing the culture.
There were several stories: a woman who bathed in the rain and was taken as a prostitute, another one got on a bus full of men, and everyone started touching her because they thought she was a prostitute. There was also another woman who went to the police to report a guy she met who robbed her and forced her to have oral sex...then surprise!!!! Women couldn't file police e reports in that country.

Anyway, before you go anywhere, it's good to know the local culture and not just assume that most things will be like at home.
There are places where being an openly gay Man will get them killed. It's far safer to ask questions here. If some posters are bothered by that they can always skip the thread. Cats and dogs, indeed.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
There are places where being an openly gay Man will get them killed. It's far safer to ask questions here. If some posters are bothered by that they can always skip the thread. Cats and dogs, indeed.

Not to long ago that was the case in the DR.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Wally for Moderator

All right, IMO it is high time to open up a DR1 sub-forum (PW protected) for gays.

The American ambassador could be the moderator...... :classic:

donP

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
All right, IMO it is high time to open up a DR1 sub-forum (PW protected) for gays.

The American ambassador could be the moderator...... :classic:

donP
So you are suggesting seggregation - so you don't catch something and become gay?

The poster asked for guidance and stated his nature as a factor to consider. Let's be helpful.

I found DR1 helpful as I considered areas of the DR and it made my life easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.