New member living in AL, USA.

I believe you have both air-conditioning and a pool, is that correct. Both of those can be(are) big money eaters.

Yes we do have both but only pay $12 a month in electricity, but the A/C probably wears out our batteries quicker I am sure for our inverter.

Of course having a pool does come with extra costs like cleaning it, Chloro etc...

We also do have big dogs so that costs $$$ for food, toys and we do go to the vet A LOT!!!

I have to agree with Criss Colon. I am planning on making the "Big Move" in two years and I feel I will need at least $3000 per month if not more.

You really do need that amount if you want to live somewhat comfortably here. I guess everyone has a different idea of what that means though. We do not live a luxurious lifestyle here at all, from what I am used to at least.

OP I should correct what I said about not finding it dangerous here! I meant not as much as others have portrayed it to be. I don't feel unsafe but am aware of what is going on around me a lot more than back home and have taken many precautions to be able to feel safe in my home because that is VERY important to me!
I also have a ghetto car with tinted windows that looks exactly like the taxis here so we can "blend in" more when driving around as we like to take a lot of road trips and drive at night.

Last edited:

cairotaxi

Dec 17, 2012
If I were 30 years younger, I would consider a move out of the country. Now it seems like too much work, planning. Definitely major life changes should happen(if under one's control) during one's younger years. However I also believe in living life to one's fullest and to have no regrets. I believe one should follow one's heart and dreams. CCCCCCCC I live in Phoenix. The days of a dry heat is a myth as is the myth of coming here for one's allergies. Our development is called The Islands and we have 3 lakes. I'll continue to live in my wanna be Caribbean themed community on my Caribbean island name street and pretend I'm living the dream.

Last edited:

RyanCastle

May 15, 2014
Thank you for all of the responses, information and advice. I never expected so many posts in such a short time, but they are appreciated. I am wishing I would have written a more thorough introduction.

I have spent most of my adult life living outside of the US (predominately Central America and Asia). Some of the time I was in places that are viewed as the safest and some of the time I was in places that are viewed as the most dangerous. 10 years ago my friend was stabbed to death in a robbery (in a dangerous country) and now I seem to get nervous any time I hear about someone being stabbed in an area that I live or want to live. I know it happens, but it is still unnerving. I find relief to hear that the attack in Cabrera was not random. It is also good to hear that most of you feel safe (relatively), even if some of you do live in a fortress.

It is good to hear that many of you have been able to get decent animal care. Since we don't have children, our animals have filled that role and I want to keep them healthy.

I appreciate everyone's concerns for our finances and wanting to protect us from getting stuck in a bind. So you are aware, we don't live on US$2000 a month in AL because we have to. We do it because we want to (Our net monthly income from work is over 4 times that, not counting investment income). One of our hobbies is living frugally. We both came from humble beginnings and we have embraced the idea of living frugally. Most everything we have is second hand and most of that was given to us or rescued at no cost to us. We also re-purpose many things. This is probably much easier to do in the US as people here are such gluttons for new stuff and it is easier to get their old stuff. We have two cars, but they are both over 10 years old and get good fuel mileage. We don't use A/C in the summer (it does get hot in lower AL) and we minimize the use of heat in the winter. We also don't do much of anything fast. We will wait months or years to get something that we want just to make sure we really want it. And even then I will kick myself because I didn't "need" it.

As for the actual move to DR, we would take it slow too. My wife is a citizen in good standing so she can stay as long as she wants in DR with no fees. I'll have paperwork to do, but slow an steady wins the race and we have a lawyer that takes care of our families affairs in SD. Once in DR we will live in SD with my father-in-law for a while until everything is in order and we get an idea of our monthly expenditures and procure a vehicle. He lives in a fairly nice area of town and has two open bedrooms so we would not be in the way and could stay as long as we wanted. When we feel comfortable and after further investigation, if it seems good for us, we would move to Cabrera and find a nice place to rent within the community so we could hopefully make friends and integrate into the community. If after some time we are satisfied with our choice, we will look to buy a place in Cabrera, probably sell the house in SD and move my father-in-law up to live with us. Or we will keep the place in SD so I have somewhere to stay in the fall/winter when I am watching Escogido play. We could even end up living in the Bani area where half my wife's family lives and has land. We just prefer the beaches in the north and the east to the ones in the south (With the exception of Bahia de las Aguilas and Cabo Rojo which are our favorite beaches. Pedernales is just too far away from everything for us to move there.).

I think that we are well positioned financially based on what everyone has been saying. We have set aside 200K for set up (house/car/etc.). We would have $3000 a month available if we had to, but I would be happier if our basic needs were met for $1000 a month (not counting the rent) and we just splurged from time to time when we wanted to or needed to replace or repair something. I would guess that in the beginning it would cost more until we found our routine and established ourselves, but we do intend to live a minimalist lifestyle while still having money to do what we want when we want.

Relatives were mentioned, and we do have an army of them, but they are all self sufficient. Many of them live very well. When we visit the ones in the country and they kill a goat and put on a big feast for us and the family, we leave them money because we want to and we have the means, but they don't need it.

I am sure there is more that I wanted to say, but I have learned today that I am a terribly slow writer and it is a good thing I don't have a computer job.

Thanks again.

Ryan

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Looks nice bob. To the OP, that's 6,499,000 pesos. At US$43, that's about $150k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk