New Political Party

C

Chip00

I get the impression that the replies on this thread, did not reach your ears.

Noted Rocky - I assume your talking about the formation of the party, right? Don't you think it warrants a little more investigation? And what about the teaming up with one of the existing parties?

As far as the ostracization and/or violent knee jerk reaction to this plan from the establishment one doesn't necessarily have to show all his cards on the opening hand, does he?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I doubt a party with gringo participation stands a chance.

It'd be a slam-dunk to demagogue.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Noted Rocky - I assume your talking about the formation of the party, right? Don't you think it warrants a little more investigation? And what about the teaming up with one of the existing parties?

As far as the ostracization and/or violent knee jerk reaction to this plan from the establishment one doesn't necessarily have to show all his cards on the opening hand, does he?
Your good intentions are duly noted.
I have nothing against anyone trying to do something good, quite the contrary.
I do feel an obligation to point out to them, if I feel they are just spinning their wheels.
I welcome anyone who can make positive changes in leaps & bounds, and have no problem about being proven wrong.

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
A.Hidalgo (pg.1)

"All the US military invasions?" Please elaborate. I was a participant in '64... 43 years ago... Clearly, the US has no business being the world's cop....but...Perhaps Cuba is fine when a Cuban gets hauled in for questioning for conversing with a tourist. I enjoy my freedom to say Bush is or is not a dope. No one gives a damn what I think and that's fine by me.

Same ol', same ol'. Blame the US for all your problems. Gotta blame someone.

BTW, this is not a political forum. Your political thoughts interest me not in the least.

Phil

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Same ol', same ol'. Blame the US for all your problems. Gotta blame someone.

BTW, this is not a political forum. Your political thoughts interest me not in the least.

Phil
Phil, as a newbie you'll find very quickly those who cannot restrain themselves from taking a I Hate America shot on DR1.

It is what it is.

Welcome.

C

Chip00

I doubt a party with gringo participation stands a chance.

It'd be a slam-dunk to demagogue.

I believe it would depend on what type of percentage. Who says I'm going to be the party spokesperson or leader, anyway? I'm sure there are Dominicans and or Dom. retired from the US who would like to get involved if they saw a real plan.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I believe it would depend on what type of percentage. Who says I'm going to be the party spokesperson or leader, anyway? I'm sure there are Dominicans and or Dom. retired from the US who would like to get involved if they saw a real plan.
Do you understand what "demagogue" even means? :ermm:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
And these people, would be DDD's (Definitely Different Dominicans) and not become corrupt, once in power?

C

Chip00

Do you understand what "demagogue" even means? :ermm:

I think with a disaffected public significant change is going to happen at some point anyway. Lets then just sit around and wait for the Dominican version of Chavez, right? Would he fit your definition?

C

Chip00

And these people, would be DDD's (Definitely Different Dominicans) and not become corrupt, once in power?

Good point - That's why it would be ideal to appeal to the repatriated Dominicans - they have seen order and fair play and should be more apt to want to abide by it's constraints (ex. drug dealers not included).

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Good point - That's why it would be ideal to appeal to the repatriated Dominicans - they have seen order and fair play and should be more apt to want to abide by it's constraints (ex. drug dealers not included).
As a Floridian, we get pretty pi$$ed at a Northerner/"Yankee" coming down and telling us what we're doing wrong.

I think it'd be worse in the DR, being very proud people. They don't care for gringo's telling them what they're doing wrong.

Gringo's being the power behind "repatriated" Dominicans would be pretty transparent.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Phil, as a newbie you'll find very quickly those who cannot restrain themselves from taking a I Hate America shot on DR1.

It is what it is.

Welcome.

A small observation on America's role in the world (in this case DR) and I'm branded an American hater? You must be very proud of were that typical patriotic mentality has gotten us in the last 6 plus years. Count the dead my friend, count the dead.

Sorry to go off topic

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
A small observation on America's role in the world (in this case DR) and I'm branded an American hater? You must be very proud of were that typical patriotic mentality has gotten us in the last 6 plus years. Count the dead my friend, count the dead.
^^^Proof positive. :cheeky:

A.Hildago said:
Sorry to go off topic
It's OK. I know you couldn't help yourself.;)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You forgot the most important part.
POWER CORRUPTS !
And when you have so much opportunity and almost no accountability, the temptation is even greater.
Find a Mother Theresa type, and maybe you stand a chance.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006

At the beginning of this thread I thought you were joking, but I can see that you seem serious about this at least in theory. Perhaps you should look for information about this from academics and the likes, that have knowledge about the political Dominican reality. Retrieving information about this from the government itself might not be very beneficial, but again I'm just speculating.

I do have a family member that works in the JCE (Junta Central Electoral). I can perhaps get some literature on starting a party from him.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I know people from one of the minor parties and the process of official registration was laborious if not rigorous - they had to get thousands of signatures as a minimum requirement.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I know people from one of the minor parties and the process of official registration was laborious if not rigorous - they had to get thousands of signatures as a minimum requirement.

Hey Chiri maybe you can give Chip00 contact info with the people you know and he can see for himself the process.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chip00, PM me if you want that information. BTW, the party has got official status now.

C

Chip00

Thanks for the help

Thanks everybody for the help and info. Among other things I plan on contacting Federico Martinez to set up a meeting to find out his party affiliation and ideas. He was referenced in the forums and his observation on the DR was very true and insightful. He has a webpage that discuss some of his ideas at:

Tomando en cuenta

Also, again my plan isn't in a rush as I live here now and probably will for a long time(assuming my wife doesn't get tired of me). Therefore I'm just in the due diligence phase so that I can be prepared when I semi-retire in 5 years or so. Of couse if all this turns out for naught I guess I can just play lots of golf, drink Presidente and wait on the grandkids - oh well I guess that ain't so bad.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Chip, like Rocky stated earlier your intensions are good and I too applaud you for possessing same but due to the proverbial ?been there, done that, got a t-shirt? in reference to a foreigner with plans to change the inevitable?.. Well??..

In my time here on this island I?ve tried to study the history of this country with no emphasis on any particular time frame or ruler and have come to conclusions on a number of points.

The history has had a tendency to instill the present culture and due to the pressure that culture plays on a society has the affect of determining where that society does and will go. The only way to bring about change is by changing the culture of the people. As it is their culture passed on to the next generation by them it is only logical that any changes in the culture will have to be applied by them.

If it were my desire I could list a large number of examples whereas their culture has had a tendency to retain their ability to obtain a better life and help society as a whole. Rather than go through a long dissertation of those examples I will only list two that readily come to mind.

Sit down with any Dominican here and start a conversation about ?malos costumbres?. If you don?t receive, and you probably won?t, any examples of what they consider as bad customs then ask them if trash being thrown on the streets is a ?malo costrumbe?. You should, as I always do, receive a 100% agreement that this practice is in fact a ?malo costrumbre?. Once agreement has been reached as to it in fact being a malo costrumbre then ask the simple question as to why they do it. The responses that I always receive to this question are always the same when they tell me, ??Porque es el costumbre aqu?!?.

The second example is when I see something being accomplished here that requires a lot more work then something that I or other foreigners have been taught and a suggestion is made as to how the same or possibly better results can be obtained by doing it a little differently with a lot less work. The typical response that I receive to my suggestion is, ??ste es c?mo lo he hecho toda mi vida y mi padre lo hizo esta manera al igual que su padre?. With mind-sets such as this it makes changes in culture very difficult.

I have made posts a number of times about Dominicans that ventured away from the island in search of an education and experience with the intension of returning to their home land and helping their mankind. There have been many Dominicans that have in fact done this and Leonel is the latest example of a foreign educated Dominican having returned to his homeland and tried to bring change to the country and has succeeded in a number of areas but there is only so much that one person can do when not backed by like minded individuals.

History has shown that the DR has always been controlled by those with money which equates to power. The ?Real y Supremo Consejo de las Indias? back in the 1500?s was basically the beginning of this control which lead through the years to different groups, organizations and countries being the controlling factor until 1838 when a twenty-year-old Dominican, of a prominent Santo Domingo family, who had returned home five years earlier after seven years of study in Europe started a significant organized movement against Haitian domination. The young student's name was Juan Pablo Duarte. In the ensuing struggles for dominance the personality and attributes of Duarte ran counter to those of most of the country's ?caudillos?. It was these ?caudillos? that have controlled this country from 1844 till presently. It was the unprincipled, self-serving dominance that did much to entrench the tradition of caudillo rule in the Dominican Republic and Trujillo was nothing more then another segment of this ?caudillo? dominance when he took over in 1930.

The ?caudillos? still rule this country but they presently do so under the guise of ?democracy?. It is because of their hold of the reigns, to include that of the military and police, that positive change in all the important aspects of this country will not change. If the changes that have taken place increase their monetary holdings then they are allowed and if they don?t then the changes are just ignored by those with the control.

Any new or different political party will have to pay its dues to those that are in power and any failure to do so will mean a short life to that particular organization. Everything here is based on the ?you scratch my back and I?ll scratch yours? concept and it is because of this that you will never get away from the corruption that dominates this country. (MHO).

Rick