New stuff going on for folks entering/ overstaying visas.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
The FBI website has a list of companies that will interface between you and the FBI. There is one outfit on Madison Ave that will take your fingerprints (and your money) and forward the paperwork to DC. Sorry, but I don't remember their name of the business; I used their services in December.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If this police check is for an official process in the DR it will need to come from the FBI. Someone more familiar with the process for Americans will surely step forward and point you in the right direction.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Quick update.

Left from STI. Migracion employee couldnt be arsed to look for the entry date stamp in my passport.
She basically told me to bugger along. She didnt ask how long i stayed. Didnt ask for residency. My passport was not blocked. No fingerprints.

After migracion a young good looking chick takes the " blue form " off you. Didnt ask for residency either.

She did call me back over and i thought she would ask for residency ( which i have ) or send me to jail.
Nope she told me she could tell i was in the dr often and gave me her phone number ;) ;) ;)

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Oh i forgot to add i had been in country for 5 months.

Also once i was passed security, i walked over to the " special" migracion booth ( the 1 where they strip the cattle thieves ) and asked why no1 asked to see my residency. Would i not have an issue when i came back ?
That got a good laugh out of them. We dont give a toss if u have residency or not ! Which i do btw. They said come back soon amd stay as long as u want, the longer the better.

So in 2013 dr1 predicted all sorts of stuff. Get legal blabla lose ur house and kids blablbal..... change is coming......not.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Not to say you shouldnt go the legal road.... i did.

But the late CC was right. As usal.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Quick update.

Left from STI. Migracion employee couldnt be arsed to look for the entry date stamp in my passport.
She basically told me to bugger along. She didnt ask how long i stayed. Didnt ask for residency. My passport was not blocked. No fingerprints.

After migracion a young good looking chick takes the " blue form " off you. Didnt ask for residency either.

She did call me back over and i thought she would ask for residency ( which i have ) or send me to jail.
Nope she told me she could tell i was in the dr often and gave me her phone number ;) ;) ;)

To those of us that don't believe the "sky is falling" this comes as no surprise.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I have a friend arriving on Tuesday. He has overstayed 2 times in 2017. Has been doing this for years. I will update if he gets in on Tuesday. He is worried. lol

Talked to my buddy this morning. He said not one thing was different. Hmmm.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and I expect many others have too.

I see the issue being with people who would not qualify as 'Visitors' in the traditional sense...
people who live here more/less full time without complying...

IMO, those are the targets....not multiple day/times visitors.
They do not fit into the 'resident' or 'quasi resident' category

Admittedly, a fine line... but a distinction, just the same

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
and I expect many others have too.

I see the issue being with people who would not qualify as 'Visitors' in the traditional sense...
people who live here more/less full time without complying...

IMO, those are the targets....not multiple day/times visitors.

You mean like my son and I that have lived here for 11+ years and sometimes stay over a year (my son was 2 years when he went to Florida last week) ? Neither one of us had a hint of an issue and never have had an issue.
It may come some day and if/when it does I'll deal with it at that time but for now no problem with over stays even frequent and long term.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Just came back from getting my haircut in La Joya. Ran
into one of my Haitian neighbors named Jean who used
to live in my building. He was deported 3 weeks ago
back to Haiti. He said the price to return after being deported
had jumped from 300 to 500 pesos (depending on the crossing).

I understand the Dominicans want a secure and well protected
border but it appears they still have a very long way to go.

As CCCCCCCCC used to say....
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correct Gary....

maybe not today but it will come ... and not without warning
as we know already

If I had suggested automatic kiosks at SDQ a few yrs ago...
I might have been laughed at

If I told you 10-15 yrs ago that apartments/home would have almost no land line telephones in a few yrs
you would have had me committed to the funny farm

Driverless cars ???

Progress isn't always fast..........

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
To those of us that don't believe the "sky is falling" this comes as no surprise.

I guess it will be safe to presume that the number of foreign arrivals denied entry and sent back to their respective homelands from the RD's international airports may be far less for February 2018, than the 10,218 computed for the month of January 2018.
I sit with nervous anticipation until the February statistics/facts are revealed by the DGM. Then again, I'd rather watch paint dry.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Correct Gary....

maybe not today but it will come ... and not without warning
as we know already

If I had suggested automatic kiosks at SDQ a few yrs ago...
I might have been laughed at

If I told you 10-15 yrs ago that apartments/home would have almost no land line telephones in a few yrs
you would have had me committed to the funny farm

Driverless cars ???

Progress isn't always fast..........

Which automatic kiosks at SDQ do you refer to?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From today's news....

Deportations, etc
===========================================================

The DGM reports that 7,598 foreigners from 12 different countries were repatriated or not allowed to enter the Dominican Republic. According to the report, those repatriated came from Haiti, Afghanistan, Albania, China, Colombia, Cuba, Great Britain, Honduras, Nigeria, Puerto Rico, Turkey and Venezuela.

At the same time 592 residencies of different categories were issued to foreigners from 51 nations.

The report goes on to say that 3,140 foreigners were not allowed to enter the country by air, sea and land and 4,458 were deported for irregular migratory status.

Finally, during February, some 201 Dominicans were deported to the Dominican Republic having completed jail terms in different countries.