new to forum

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It has nothing to do with me traveling all over the planet, it has to do with me living and working here for 15 years.

The problem is Chip, your stuck in the "barrio" and think all Dominicans are alike.
The most successful and long standing restaurants in this country do not cater to "your" demographic.

If you consider the "Peeeeking Pollo" two doors down from the colmado a successful restaurant, then you need you need to get out more. If you think they are serving good Chinese food, then that just confirms what I thought. Once again, I suggest you get out more and maybe visit a decent Chinese restaurant in Santo Domingo.

So lets leave the barrio and viralatas behind and get back to the OP's questions.

I suppose you really don't know me to well Robert. I have known enough Dominicans who eat well and travel abroad every year and either have their own business or are professionals.

I was making the point that I thought the guy could make it work if he followed the model I have seen. Maybe he won't get rich but from what I've seen from the local Pical Pollo next to Leon Jimenez on 27 is the owners do well enough to send their kids to a good private school, better than mine in fact.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I suppose you really don't know me to well Robert. I have known enough Dominicans who eat well and travel abroad every year and either have their own business or are professionals.

That being the case, you know they don't eat at the local pica pollo run by the Chinese.

I know you from what you write Chip or is their another reality?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
That being the case, you know they don't eat at the local pica pollo run by the Chinese.

They probably don't.

I know you from what you write Chip or is their another reality?

The OP asked for advice and given that restaurant business can be iffy here I tried to give him some good advice. If he wants to try to hit a home run and cater to expats and wealthy Dominicans in a nice area of SD I'm all for it. I just hope he can handle the startup costs and overhead until he is in the black.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I live in the interior part of the country and do not know much about the Santo Domingo. Have you been to Dominican Republic before? It will be worth to visit DR before you decide.

As I had told you before you should pull the local people for success. Indian Sweets will be a good one for that. The most who spend on restaurants are wealthy Dominicans especially politicians and you will have to target them. To some extent expats but most expats are living here with fixed income. So they cannot be counted as regular customers. Lower end market will not sustain Indian restaurant.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Yes I am and food is my passion. So used to observe where ever I go. Even had the thought of this idea but i do not have enough means to support myself during the initial period.

I expect you are Indian and should know.

To the OP disregard my previous posts. :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The fact that the OP used the term FUSION FOOD in his question indicated he would be aiming for a higher end market.
We used to have a restaurant in B?varo called Serai. The owners, Malaysians of Indian origin, served a range of Asian foods including Indian and were very popular with middle/upper class Dominicans and expats in the area. I don't know how profitable it was - their location was not great - but they ended up leaving because they were offered a better opportunity in another country.

RB1970

Banned
Mar 13, 2012
The fact that the OP used the term FUSION FOOD in his question indicated he would be aiming for a higher end market.
We used to have a restaurant in B?varo called Serai. The owners, Malaysians of Indian origin, served a range of Asian foods including Indian and were very popular with middle/upper class Dominicans and expats in the area. I don't know how profitable it was - their location was not great - but they ended up leaving because they were offered a better opportunity in another country.

dear chiri

u guessed it right its FUSION FOOD ..................................and thats why i need to know which area to start this concept.......................its like you buy what you see.........and hence location is important

RB1970

Banned
Mar 13, 2012
chip

need more inputs to start home run restaurant.......................as i said location is imporatnt................................

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
chip

need more inputs to start home run restaurant.......................as i said location is imporatnt................................

I think you should focus on the capital and hopefully some people can recommend locations and cost per sq meter to rent. I think it would be important to find out how much the equipment would be as well. I'm here in Santiago so I can't help out unfortunately. Best of luck though!

RB1970

Banned
Mar 13, 2012
dear members

any idea about home run locations in SD to start niche only INDIAN restaurant.......................in fact i can add lot of stuff to it including ....................................dance , music...............if at all its permitted in residential location.......................

RB1970

Banned
Mar 13, 2012
robert

any suggestions ............................coz u seem to have pulse of what upper class wants in SD.........................

RB1970

Banned
Mar 13, 2012
are there any expats ..............who can share and endorse this idea of setting up niche, uber and upper class........chic INDIAN RESTAURANT

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
We wish you luck. We would love to go to an authentic Indian restaurant but like others have said you have to weight up your cliental, not being disrespectful but majority of locals would not be able to afford and your costings would have to be rather on the low side, where would you get your spices (I make a mean curry, even if I do say so myself) but have to get most things on Amazon, rice is another problem, Basmati is very, very expensive here. If you were to do it for a hobby great but to make a good living, would think long and hard. Having said that, we would definitely be waiting at your door for you to open. Good Luck!