New to Las Terrenas

DonandCandie

Mar 10, 2017
Candie loves the sauvigon blancs out of New Zealand. To be honest finding anything close in the DR has been a challenge. AsFor me I can always make something with the limes and fruit. Plus with French folks in the area finding a Cab wont be to hard.

Cand is the issue as she is younger and still interested in working. I have spent 30 years being a Chemistry Instructor, then a Chemist, a medical researcher and business owner. The reason I was trying to figire out the monthly costs was to determine if we can live on the few different pensions that I recieve monthly.

I really do want to thank everyone for their input as my background kind of makes me want as much data as possible when making a decision. From what I see the folks in LT go out of their way to be helpful.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Donald and Candie

You will find some very good French wines and other in Supermercado Lindo from time to time, especially at Christmas time. I've found some excellent Upper Loire Sauvignon Blancs there as well as good Chablis. You will probably find a New Zealand wine or two also. Super Pola is very predictable for wine and unlikely to excite.

As for living costs, you should read the 'sticky' thread in the Living section - "Living Costs in the Dominican Republic' - costs don't vary that much if you are in tourist zones or the cities. Yes one can live much cheaper in the campo but that is not you. Electricity was one of the higher cost items when I was there 3 years back but that all changed with EdeNorte getting involved in the supply and prices are now lower but the service apparently not so reliable.

It is indeed a friendly town

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I still would like to import a container of a diversity of wines with a couple of aficionados. Yes the CS from New-zealand beats the french. I tried the NZ Riesling in Europe. Top quality!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wine problems are storage and shipping, temperatures go wrong.

My friend buys zippy wines and they go bad.
He now has a wine cooler, but if the importer muffed it .... the wine is history.

Tricky business, wine in the tropics 

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello, Maybe you should explore also Juan Dolio, is closer to Santo Domingo and closer to SDQ Airport, long term rentals avilable houses and apartments, Shopping in San Pedro that is 20 minutes far from Juan Dolio, and def will be easier for Job oportunity in Santo Domingo than in Las Terrenas.

Sorry, but no comparison of Las Terrenas and Juan Dolio. As I stated if they have to rely upon earning an income in the DR than DON'T relocate here.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Candie loves the sauvigon blancs out of New Zealand. To be honest finding anything close in the DR has been a challenge. AsFor me I can always make something with the limes and fruit. Plus with French folks in the area finding a Cab wont be to hard.

Cand is the issue as she is younger and still interested in working. I have spent 30 years being a Chemistry Instructor, then a Chemist, a medical researcher and business owner. The reason I was trying to figire out the monthly costs was to determine if we can live on the few different pensions that I recieve monthly.

I really do want to thank everyone for their input as my background kind of makes me want as much data as possible when making a decision. From what I see the folks in LT go out of their way to be helpful.

Hola:

You have to be a legal resident in order to work in the DR. The residency process starts in your home country with various documents you will need. This documents need to be approved by the Domincan Consulate where you currently live. They also need to be translated in Spanish and appostilized. The process continues when you get to the DR and higher an attorney to walk you and your documents through the process. It will cost you about $1500-2000 usds per person to accomplish this. Also as I have said before, if you have to come to the DR to work than that will be a major struggle in living here. You will be payed a fraction of what you earned in North America and jobs will be hard to find, especially if you are not bi-lingual. If you can live off a pension and still have a decent lifestyle than Bienvenidos Gringo and Gringas.

Marcste

Jul 30, 2020
New york
North Americans in general (not all) apparently seem to struggle adapting to the lifestyle of Las Terrenas which is more of a small European type resort populated by French, Italian and Germans in the main, which gets invaded at weekend and holidays by the wealthier middle class from Santo Domingo and consequently becomes less appealing at times due to modest overcrowding and traffic in narrow streets. There are few bars catering to tourists and the social life is based around the beach and restaurants which for the most part close early evening. Away from the beach the town is quite scruffy.

You can find some great places to pass the time and thoroughly enjoy a chilled out life a short drive from the town itself. Playa Bonita( for me especially) and Coson are examples and even further along Playa Las Ballenas too.

I've lived there for just under two years and thoroughly enjoyed the experience but one needed trips to the capital from time to time for shopping essentials and so on, and now that I am relocated to the capital I don't look back knowing a weekend trip there is an easy option.

Realistically you will need a car, but perhaps like some, quads or even two wheels might suffice.

It is now under two hours to the capital using the toll roads but travel by taxi from SDQ is very costly and the daily bus services from the capital and the end of the Autopista may be an option.

I rented during my time there a couple of years back, and rental costs are higher compared with other areas of the country especially if you are on or close to the beach or in the hills overlooking it all. I rented from a French company (http://www.aic-dominicana-inmobiliaria.com/ ) and highly recommend Jacques and his team.

The cost of living is a little higher than other places and not surprising since it is part of a distant province with ex-pats running many of the businesses. But you also find some special things you would only find in Europe too.

Depending upon age medical care may come into the equation and in reality if anything crops up of a more significant nature you will be whisked off to the capital.

If you want really laid back and beautiful, my advice now is to travel a few miles further to Las Galeras, and find a place that was like Las Terrenas in it's youth before tourism took over. (apologies to LTSteve but the charm is fading a little with LT)

Enjoy.
Loved your comments. Looked up las gale ras as a result. Love to maybe ask u more if I have a question

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I cannot think of too many places in the country where you don't need to go STI or SD to get some/several things beyond the basics
LT has a good selection... French items, Italian... etc
But the big cities have literally everything
That's just a fact of life

As for Las Galeras - go and take a look......before you commit
Pretty desolate... literally the end of the earth (as in RD).... one way - one way out
Nowhere near the variety of LT

Having seen both - I doubt I will ever return to LG

A friend just moved there and is NOT happy

It may suit you.... maybe yes - maybe no

Best of luck

Marcste

Jul 30, 2020
New york
I cannot think of too many places in the country where you don't need to go STI or SD to get some/several things beyond the basics

Pretty desolate... literally the end of the earth (as in RD).... one way - one way out

Best of luck
Thanks for the response -- all seems very clear and I get it -- fortunately we have family in SD so hope that this might help

I see what u mean re LG

thanks very much indeed

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

Best of luck
Las Galeras is nice for a visit and if you really want to get away from everything some days. I think they do refer to it as the end of world.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Is the road from Sanches to LT still open? The mountain road. Amazing view at the top when you see down to LT. Used to be my favorite road in the country. I'm not sure if I would do it in a GuaGua, but driving yourself was fun.

Last edited:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Las Galeras is nice for a visit and if you really want to get away from everything some days. I think they do refer to it as the end of world.

No, there are actually quite a few other places as well that remain pristine.
Pristine, because those in the know keep them quiet.
No YouTube spoilers/videographers/journalists permitted.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
No, there are actually quite a few other places as well that remain pristine.
Pristine, because those in the know keep them quiet.
No YouTube spoilers/videographers/journalists permitted.
I also know a few spots but I am not telling lol

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
The view is better on the new road leaving.....IMO
I agree. Its an amazing view. But I don’t think the new road is so much better. Its steeper. The old road though goes through some small villages and you have to be careful.