New to Monte Cristi

Steve_3

Aug 26, 2013
I am new to Monte Cristi, and I am looking for a deep sea fishing charter. I saw that hotels charter them, but are very expensive and you have to be staying there. I am living there, so I want a better local connection. Anyone know of trustworthy fishing captains that charter fishing boats for a afternoon/ all day?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Have you been down to the little Yacht club on the way to El Moro? it is right on the right hand side of the road. I am sure that you have seen it. Just drive in and start talking to them. I am sure all the boats are there and they can put you in touch with the captains. Of course, fishing boats are expensive. Fuel is expensive. But maybe they can work you in with another group.

Steve_3

Aug 26, 2013
Thank you I will check that out! Do you know of any English speakers down there?my Spanish is still rusty at best. Haha.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
try this

hola.. estoy gringo this of course, they know.

quieres tu un presidente? then go to bar and get a couple of beers

yo quiere ir en un barco.. then point to the boat you want to take

para buscar... then make fishing rod motions

pescados... fish

pero... but

no estoy i am not

un rico

estoy estudiante i am not rich i am a student *or missionaira or whatever..

puedes ayudarme? can you help me?

look, anyone who ends up living in Monte Christi with rusty Spanish.. well, , you need all the help you can get!

the guys at the club are really nice and the Captains probably speak English and will work with you but as I said, it costs a lot to fill up the tanks... You can charter one of the little boats, that belong to the locals to take you out to the islands off the coast or to the mangroves but be sure to pack water and food and sunblock and note that there is not ladder on the dock thing that they have inside the mangrove swamp. It is off season and there are not many tourists there even in high season.

The boats probably belong to the wealthy folks from Santiago perhaps and go out to defray costs. I cannot imagine that anyone could live off sport fishing tourism there.

you should also see if you can eat there.. they serve a good lunch. it is a private club but they do serve. might have to arrange in advance. but they have good food.

let us know how it goes.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
You can fish from the pier / dock / gazebo area. I'm hitting 1 thousand there. Always catch something (small) no two fish look the same either.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
After you find what you want, please let us know the deal you got.

And also please tell us a bit about where you live. I had been there years ago and been to El Moro and the beach leading up to it. Any place you recommend to stay over a weekend ? Any other spots in the are worth visiting?