New Vehicle Inspections in 2018

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I always thought the junk cars were the problem in SD, but it’s solely the driver. We have a Sonata plague now and since they are bigger but the drivers are just as bad, it’s worse.

What's with all these gas powered Korean taxis. Many with low miles - are they decent - seems many with low miles. I'm just leery of a former taxi and also a gas vehicle, how long will they go without major problems

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What's with all these gas powered Korean taxis. Many with low miles - are they decent - seems many with low miles. I'm just leery of a former taxi and also a gas vehicle, how long will they go without major problems

They are a smart sales move by KIA and/or whoever is importing them. I am guessing you mean the N20's that are for sale and most are orange in color? No idea on "gas" mileage or ultimate reliability.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They are a smart sales move by KIA and/or whoever is importing them. I am guessing you mean the N20's that are for sale and most are orange in color? No idea on "gas" mileage or ultimate reliability.

A lot are orange but many are not, unless they were repainted. Yes the N20 is Kia's gas version of the Optima which is the counterpart to the Hyundai Sonata, really both nice cars.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A lot are orange but many are not, unless they were repainted. Yes the N20 is Kia's gas version of the Optima which is the counterpart to the Hyundai Sonata, really both nice cars.

I cannot find any reliability data on the "gas" models of Optima and Sonata. With so many 1991 Toyota Corollas on the road with after market gas kits installed, the Korean models designed to use gas might work out well. There certainly are a lot of them on the roads in the DR now.

Jan 7, 2016
KIA has the highest Customer Satisfaction Reviews of ANY car maker selling in the U.S. Higher even than Volvo or Mercedes. Go figure. I have a KIA Hybrid NIRO in the U.S. and it is an outstanding car. 56 mpg or higher all the time.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Actually the N20 is the Sonata.

Jan 7, 2016
Basically like Chevrolet and Buick...the same car, just higher trim levels. The framework and drive lines of the cars are clones or each other. Hyundai owns KIA.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I always thought the junk cars were the problem in SD, but it’s solely the driver. We have a Sonata plague now and since they are bigger but the drivers are just as bad, it’s worse.

What's even more amazing is the amount of late model Sonatas that look as bad as the old Toyotas they replaced. You're right, the problem isn't the vehicles, it's the drivers.

Many concho drivers don't own the car they drive - they pay daily rent on the car - one of the reasons they don't make any money.

None of them are going to invest money in a car that isn't theirs, and the owner of the car isn't going to pay for anything either. They just want their daily payment.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009

So true, every a****le having a Corolla before is driving a Sonata now. Do I hate them.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
have what 3 versions of the sonata n20, y20, an lpi whats the difference

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Various Sonata styles

have what 3 versions of the sonata n20, y20, an lpi whats the difference
The N20 seems to have L4 Engine fitted with LPG capability. The LPi engine appears to be a better option.

I saw some notes that Hyundai does not import any natural gas vehicles into the DR, so they are not liable if a Hyundai is running on natural gas regarding what happens to the vehicle and its warranty.

I also found this:
You might have noticed that many sedans in South Korea are using LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas). YF Sonata and K5 LPi are very popular in South Korea, since LPG is much cheaper than gasoline in Korea. Therefore the Korean Manufacturers, Hyundai and Kia have developed LPG engines during a long time and now they have boosted their highest quality of new type of engine, called LPi (Liquid Propane Injection). LPi engines inject LPG directly to engine as a GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) engine. So it has better fuel efficiency and power than LPG engines which vaporizes gas into the engine. Definitely LPi does not have ignition problem which was one of the main complaints of LPG engines.

LPi engines have been installed into Hyundai NF Sonata, YF Sonata, Avante, Kia Lotze and K5 since 2004. These cars were very common in Korea, they were mainly used to be Taxi cars, Rental cars and Handicapped vehicles. Since LPi and GDi engines are similar among each other, many overseas customers prefer to convert fuel system from LPG to Gasoline and enjoy the price benefits of cars. Fuel Conversion (LPG to Gasoline) is one of the most common works for exporting cars. You can get fuel conversion (LPG to Gasoline) at reasonable price when you use Autowini's Safe Payment & Shipping Service B.I.S.

http://www.autowini.com/help/fuel-coversion.do

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
....absolute sweetheart of a car, have one in my driveway......thats a lot coming from a toyota employee of many years.........Doc............

wonderful car. runs like a limo, sips propane, gorgeous, spacious interior, cheap to buy, indestructible. the perfect car for the DR. 500k pesos sets you up with a glorious ride.