Newb with a few questions regarding marriage & buying a car in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Thank you Guillermo, you beat me to the punch. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT BUY THAT COW.
I'm passing on advice to you as one who had to learn the hard way.
Prenup, shrenup.

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
Thank you Guillermo, you beat me to the punch. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT BUY THAT COW.
I'm passing on advice to you as one who had to learn the hard way.
Prenup, shrenup.

I should have mentioned she is coming to the states to stay with me. I want to buy a car here to allow her to learn to drive a bit more plus save me on rental costs ($30 day Kia LP gas).

This is why the prenup should have mentioned that. So prenup is valid with her living in states.

I should have mentioned a bit more but is there any harm getting married in DR, waiting the year for her to come over, then she comes over? Again she take take any money from me w/ prenup in states.

I fully understand the flaming of this subject as I have read a ton, talked to a few local gringos, & just trying to make a good decision. I love this chick I know everyone does yadada but I like to hear all bad you know?

Thx everyone for the replies they are much appreciated! I'm in Santiago now if anyone wants to grab a drink.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I should have mentioned she is coming to the states to stay with me. I want to buy a car here to allow her to learn to drive a bit more plus save me on rental costs ($30 day Kia LP gas).

This is why the prenup should have mentioned that. So prenup is valid with her living in states.

I should have mentioned a bit more but is there any harm getting married in DR, waiting the year for her to come over, then she comes over? Again she take take any money from me w/ prenup in states.

I fully understand the flaming of this subject as I have read a ton, talked to a few local gringos, & just trying to make a good decision. I love this chick I know everyone does yadada but I like to hear all bad you know?

Thx everyone for the replies they are much appreciated! I'm in Santiago now if anyone wants to grab a drink.

Little late now, I've already cracked the bottle!

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
Little late now, I've already cracked the bottle!

Haha all good my fault for not mentioning a bit more. Looking around closer $4-5k seems good for a decent car w/ expectation to sell once she comes here.

I can say to each member never underestimate how much your fellow American makes I'm not a slouch in regards to this. But what I do appreciate are reply(s) about good & bad always nice to see what other have been through.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
if you want to marry her and live with her in the states it's better to inquire about a prenup in USA to protect your assets there.

not much of a car can be bought for 2,500 dollars, you can check this site for examples: http://www.corotos.com.do/santiago/carros_jeepetas_y_camionetas-en_venta?pe=129999

Can you drive a straight stick? Or a crooked stick? Do I have a deal for you! ya got a couple of thousand buckses? Step right up my man. See this beauty just waiting for you!
Der Fish

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
Can you drive a straight stick? Or a crooked stick? Do I have a deal for you! ya got a couple of thousand buckses? Step right up my man. See this beauty just waiting for you!
Der Fish

Haha yeah but teaching her is out of question. I'll buck up for the extra! Lol

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can consult a lawyer in DR. that's gonna be more informative than posters here :)

jonsonroc

Jan 27, 2016
I lived w/my gf in DR for 9 yrs., married brought her to the BIGPX, 5yrs ago. Living in her country,no problem
living in my country,holy ****, I didn't realize how Uneducated they are, and she graduated high school. Really
boring, not interested in reading, anything, gets a headache. Television and hair products that's it. Work! she has
been talking about getting a job for 4 yrs...

Did she at least learn English?

Aug 6, 2006
Men choose women hoping that they will stay the same. This, of course, never happens, because everyone gets older.

My observation over the years has been that bringing a Latina woman to the US will change her in ways that tend to cause her to become a status-conscious, moneygrubbing, and very frustrated person, a woman that has all the traits that can make American women unbearable.

I am not saying that American women are all unbearable, but when they are unbearable, their unpleasantness tends to take a particular form

She will be overwhelmed by American consumer culture, and might believe in all those informercials that plague Spanish-language TV in the US: astrologers, fat burning pills and girdles, thighmasters, miracle diets and thisese and thats,televangelists and such make easy prey of newcomers from Latin America, whi lack the language skills to participate in the majority culture of the US, where people have a build up immunity to this sort of crap.

The lilies that are so beautiful in the fields where they grew up will not fare well in a vase in a totally different climate.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Ok. This intro ran it's course.

OP, start another one in the regular forums if you have any concerns in buying a car or getting married.

Status
Not open for further replies.