Next Week's Agenda

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I'm really not but I enjoy ruffling your delicate feathers 🤭🤭😷😷
I have taken a break from coffee and experiencing some withdrawals with irritability. I am just drinking tea now and on a diet.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
yes, a possibility that would work.
leave the actual 10 bucks tourist card valid for 30 days
and allow to extend it prior to expiring easy at any DGII or Immigrations office, just by presenting your valid passport, return flight ticket and payig there on the spot the fee for the added months, possible up to a 6 months total.
such could e easy and coost efficient handled administratively and hassle free for the traveler.
and nobody had any reason to complain about anything when caught as a illegal immigrant due what so ever coincedence in life.
who's not even going such simple way is simply up for deportation then.
Actually, I'm thinking more like sell it to the visitor in advance

Person plans a 3 month trip.... 30 days comes w/ the tourist card
Traveler goes on line and buys a 90 day visa..... submits passport ID and pays

On arrival, passport scan shows 90 days and it gets stamped in the passport.

Big penalty - BIG - for overstay....such penalty clearly warned on sale of 90 day card

I'm expecting a call from Abinader soon - giving a high ranking job in Migracion

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It was called "Regularization" . Two people in my development went for it. One of them got residency that way, the other didn't follow up.

(Naturalization means getting citizenship. )
Oh, that's what they were talking about! I went through that particular horrendous process, standing in line in the baking sun crammed together with hundreds of Haitians waiting to submit documents. And after all that I found it didn't even entitle me to apply for a Dominican driving licence, which was one of the most important aspects of getting legal for me. So then I started the even more horrendous process (minus standing in the baking sun) of getting Residency. My Haitian gardener went through all the hassle and expense of applying for Regularization and still hasn't got it to this day. Sometimes, trying to "get legal" hardly seems worth it.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Actually, I'm thinking more like sell it to the visitor in advance.

On arrival, passport scan shows 90 days and it gets stamped in the passport.
In my personal experience, that will not work! I had a one year visa physically inserted into my passport, but due to a death in the family, had to leave after 35 days. The Migración officials at the airport demanded that I pay the overstay fee even though my visa was still good for 330 more days. There is a mindset - over 30 days, collect money. It appeared that they were unable to see a difference between a 30 day tourist card and a one year visa.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Oh, that's what they were talking about! I went through that particular horrendous process, standing in line in the baking sun crammed together with hundreds of Haitians waiting to submit documents. And after all that I found it didn't even entitle me to apply for a Dominican driving licence, which was one of the most important aspects of getting legal for me. So then I started the even more horrendous process (minus standing in the baking sun) of getting Residency. My Haitian gardener went through all the hassle and expense of applying for Regularization and still hasn't got it to this day. Sometimes, trying to "get legal" hardly seems worth it.

Stories and experiences like this one are why I don't try. I don't have patience with stupidity. Again, if they want to throw me and my $ out, go ahead.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In my personal experience, that will not work! I had a one year visa physically inserted into my passport, but due to a death in the family, had to leave after 35 days. The Migración officials at the airport demanded that I pay the overstay fee even though my visa was still good for 330 more days. There is a mindset - over 30 days, collect money. It appeared that they were unable to see a difference between a 30 day tourist card and a one year visa.

Hi Prof... hope you're well

Yes - it would call for a revamping of the system
In my Utopia, there are no overstay fees.... you are paid on entry

Overstaying your chosen allotted time would call for the overstay penalty
All recorded in your passport
and that penalty would be posted in advance - as harsh as they choose to administer

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the regularization plan/process(I am also guilty for using the wrong term "naturalization, lol) never been meant to be easy or really hassle free,
it was the last offered backdoor for long term(some for DECADES long) overstayers to get legal in the country where they spent such a very long time of their life.
and disagreed, as iknow otherwise from 3 buddies of mine going through the process, they got their DR Drivers License, too.
first the temp residency, which i agree, was a lengthy and many times long lines standing ïn baking sun" process,
but at the end (a couple years later!) they got their temp residency card in hand and applied for the drivers license.
during the long waiting time they had a paper in their passpport which showed that they are legal residents at that moment, in process to get their residency card.
the driver's license then been applied for once they had the first temp residency card in hand.

Reactions: cavok

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Why should those who violated laws have an easier situation than someone who did not?
because the regularization plan was for the government a "cheaper"/easier way to go than to just limit the haitian presence in the country by a which hunt on only one nationality, which anyways would have started a intl uproar against the DR for beeing so violent against the poor neighbour on the same Isle.
and the DR had at that time already such a huge number of haitians/of haitian decent people in the country, some already on the next generation and all undocumented, no DR Documents and no Haitian documents, either, they had intl pressure to find some kinda solution to get the workers from the last decades AND their illegally and indocumented in the DR born siblings documented.
it was less a in general Immigrations thingy, it was more a long overdue solution for the hundreds of thousands of haitian decent workers in the DR and their families.
where the DR, in my eyes, completely failed, is the follow up/keep it strict from there on.
what was the regularization process worth when since then still the same amounts of illegal immigrants come into the DR the same easy and under the exactly same circumstances, as they did before???
to find a "easy" solutions for the ones already here, absolutely fine with me, it was necessary, but at the same moment you have to have your regulations and handling of the situation in place, to NOT continue with the same flow.
otherwise they need to run a regularization plan every 10 years again and again, just that next time only half of the affected people will use it, because everybody will say that nothing will change anyways, so why bother with any hassles?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
the regularization plan/process(I am also guilty for using the wrong term "naturalization, lol) never been meant to be easy or really hassle free,
it was the last offered backdoor for long term(some for DECADES long) overstayers to get legal in the country where they spent such a very long time of their life.
and disagreed, as iknow otherwise from 3 buddies of mine going through the process, they got their DR Drivers License, too.
first the temp residency, which i agree, was a lengthy and many times long lines standing ïn baking sun" process,
but at the end (a couple years later!) they got their temp residency card in hand and applied for the drivers license.
during the long waiting time they had a paper in their passpport which showed that they are legal residents at that moment, in process to get their residency card.
the driver's license then been applied for once they had the first temp residency card in hand.
I wish I had known that at the time. I was definitely told otherwise.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When the "Regularization Plan" was put in place, it was stated at the time that it would be the one and only chance for illegal aliens to have an amnesty period and become legal more easily if they took the initiative. I have no idea how many illegals it "regularized".

I also have no idea how easy or hard the next government under the PRM will make becoming a legal resident, if they will offer a snowbird visa which would be great, or other details. The PRM wrote the current immigration laws in 2004 and the new minister of the MIP starting tomorrow has stated what we don't need any new laws, just to enforce the old ones. All we can do is wait. They take over tomorrow and have quite a few plans to change various parts of the government. It will be interesting after 16 years of the PLD.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I am hoping the new governments starts lopping heads of those it can readily see were dipping their fingers metaphorically in the company ink, or those so incompetent they kept getting promoted.
Find out who can make the countries utilities efficient and responsible for delivery of what they are being paid for and make maintenance and repairs a priority.

Reward contractors that get things done, like whoever paved the road from Susua to Cabarete in a fraction of the time that the several different companies took from Montellano to Sosua and did a crappier job to boot.

Time to reward politicians that actually try to make real improvements to DR and not just to their personal wealth.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I wish I had known that at the time. I was definitely told otherwise.
I think the earliest I heard of anyone getting a residency card from the PNRE was about a year and a half later, so you would have had a long wait to apply for the drivers license, bur residency is a requirement for the drivers license. The plan only "regularized" your legal status in the country.

Reactions: drstock

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
People should be tested entering grocery stores, banks and pharmacies. Everyone should encounter a test everyday as they go about their daily business. With real followup of the results informing the people of their test status and forcing them off the streets if they are infectious. This country has to get the new case numbers down significantly and reinvigorate the ability of hospitals to care for the sick.
Make it simple, set up concentration camps.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
More like a toll booth. to pass through, you need to get swabbed and have your details recorded. If the test comes back positive, public health gives you instructions to isolate or present yourself to a particular clinic for treatment and monitoring. Either way, those who are infectious carriers need to be corralled for the benefit of those who are not infected so they can go about their business without harming others. Your liberty ends at the point where your germs are cast in my direction and enter my system making me sick.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
after living here couple yrs I began to notice that often times things like meetings or plans are scheduled, then forgotten about and not even mentioned later. is it just me ?