Nightmare in La Romana for Oregon Tourists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2004
Beaverton man held by police in Dominican Republic

A Beaverton man was placed on house arrest in the Dominican Republic after police accused him of hitting and killing a motorcycle rider.

Lori Breeden and John Ekman of Beaverton said they actually stopped to report the death to police. But when officers got there, they took the couple into custody.

"It's terrifying, we have no resources to be doing this. We're on vacation, but we're not wealthy people," said Dreeden.

In a Skype interview with KGW, Breeden and Ekman said they had rented a car to visit a friend in La Romana on Nov. 8. They said the drive home was dark and rainy when they saw an unoccupied motorcycle lying in their lane.

"I hit the motorcycle and air bags went off, smoke filled the car," said Ekman.

The couple pulled over and saw a man dead on the side of the road. Ekman said other people had already pulled over.

"I speak fluent Spanish, so the few people that were there were talking about it," he said. "And they said that the man had been hit by a truck."

Eckman said onlookers started to leave and urged him and Breeden to do the same.

"Our friends told us later that the Dominicans don't like to stay around an accident for fear of being (implicated)," said Ekman. "We were offered a ride to get away and we said, 'No, we're going to stay until the police get here.' We had no fear that we had done anything wrong."

When police arrived, they separated the couple and took Ekman to jail.

"The jail cell smelled of urine," Ekman said. "We had to pee in a bottle and throw it out the window."

Breeden said officers released her from custody and let her keep her passport, but they confiscated Eckman's. She said family and friends of the crash victim showed up to the jail where Ekman was taken.

"A mob of angry family members was yelling, 'Killer' and wanting John to be in jail for the next three months," said Breeden. "There was no consideration ... or reconstruction of the accident scene."

A representative from the U.S. Embassy got Ekman out of jail and into house arrest, where Dominican police say he could stay for six months if he's not cleared of the crime.

"Be very cautious driving in any third world country," warned Ekman. "This is a lesson to everybody."

The offices of Oregon Senators Ron Wyden and Jeff Merkley were in touch with Ekman and Breeden. In separate emails to the couple, representatives for the senators said they would be working with the U.S. Embassy in an effort to move the case along.

Video and story:

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/local...by-police-in-the-dominican-republic/75912984/

While airbags do not need a specific speed to deploy, the air bag sensors need to be triggered.

The gentleman indicates he ran over the vehicle, yet the sensors were triggered. Since we don't know if it was the typical motorcycle found all over, one can only speculate.

Depending on the vehicle he was operating and the type of motorcycle, it would be possible for the airbags to deploy.....but he indicated the motorcycle was laying on the ground....making it difficult for anything but handlebars to reach the height necessary to trigger the sensors.

If the DR had a decent accident reconstruction person they could confirm or debunk the story. Additionally, the airbag control module (think black box for cars) would yield a myriad of data to either support or refute the story.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
While airbags do not need a specific speed to deploy, the air bag sensors need to be triggered.

The gentleman indicates he ran over the vehicle, yet the sensors were triggered. Since we don't know if it was the typical motorcycle found all over, one can only speculate.

Depending on the vehicle he was operating and the type of motorcycle, it would be possible for the airbags to deploy.....but he indicated the motorcycle was laying on the ground....making it difficult for anything but handlebars to reach the height necessary to trigger the sensors.

If the DR had a decent accident reconstruction person they could confirm or debunk the story. Additionally, the airbag control module (think black box for cars) would yield a myriad of data to either support or refute the story.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Maybe the U.S. embassy representatives and the lawyer for this guy have the black box data.

Jan 9, 2004
Maybe the U.S. embassy representatives and the lawyer for this guy have the black box data.

I would rather doubt it...but it would/could be beneficial to support his story....if his story is accurate.

Simply put, show me the damaged vehicle and my opinion will either be confirmed or refuted. If he really ran over the motorcycle, there will be no high front damage, but rather low front end and or undercarriage damage.

However, if he did hit the motorcycle and rider, there will likely be damage to the grille, hood, fender(s) and possibly the windshield.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I would rather doubt it...but it would/could be beneficial to support his story....if his story is accurate.

Simply put, show me the damaged vehicle and my opinion will either be confirmed or refuted. If he really ran over the motorcycle, there will be no high front damage, but rather low front end and or undercarriage damage.

However, if he did hit the motorcycle and rider, there will likely be damage to the grille, hood, fender(s) and possibly the windshield.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

If you watch the video, there's a photo of the car after the accident. Based on your assessment, looks like he ran over a motorcycle.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I have another follow on question/observation. If the smart thing to do is to leave the scene and get on a plane, would it also be smart to never again enter the DR? What about international travel in general? I am not suggesting the legal system in the DR is good, if it's most other things in the DR it is in an advanced state of disrepair. But I wonder if it is just that easy for someone who commits manslaughter, or heck, why not murder, to just hop on a plane and wash your hands of the whole situation. This seems too good to be true.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
At the very least he will be expected to cover the cost of damages to the motorbike.
Welcome to Wonderland baby!

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
I have doubts about this story . The man said he speaks fluent spanish so it is almost certain he knows latin america .. he was warned to go away and the victim was already dead..so why did he hang around ..so what the police supposed to do when there is a car with airbags inflated a motor bike run over by the car and a dead cyclist .Of course he has to be detained. The using of the phrase third world country will probably keep him confined for much longer .

You often conflate life in the Dominican Republic to life all over Latin America. Maybe he learned Spanish in Argentina, or Cuba.
The DR is not representative of all countries in Latin America. It is an afro-carribbean banana republic with massive corruption within the police force and a strong tendency toward mob mentality and vigilante justice.
This really frustrates me, as it is an inaccurate portrayal of life elsewhere. I loved living in Venezuela and Colombia (where I am returning very shortly) but loathe living here.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I guess maybe we need to make up our minds, it is either dangerous to drive here or its not. In the past when a thread about driving in the DR occurs, there are those who say it's no big deal and there is no need to "scare" the tourists. Here is a tourist who I am sure would appreciate having been told not to drive here, certainly don't drive a night and doubly so in bad weather.

He probably wouldn't have listened, but at least then he couldn't say that he wasn't told. Not only is driving a risk, so is the aftermath of an accident. For those who do not live here, you're going to jail whether it's your fault or not until things get sorted if that is at all possible. Your stint in the slammer could be brief or rather protracted.

The actual driving is dangerous as the situations and practices on the roads here are completely foreign to most tourists. If the huge risk of having a minor or major accident is not enough to dissuade tourists from driving, then the legal problems that inevitably result should be.

This is a screwed up place to drive. Those who live here can make up their own minds based on their assessment of the risks. Tourists should warned in clear terms of the dangers and consequences on the govt website that post warnings for tourists for various countries.

You're not in Kansas anymore, Toto. In my opinion this place is a nightmare waiting to happen again and again.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
This story, this case, presents a very interesting dilema. The American says he didn't do it, that other witnesses on the scene said a truck hit the motorcyclist. It would seem that the American is 100% innocent. The general consensus amongst DR1-ers seems to be that he should have left the scene of the accident, that he was a fool for staying, despite his innocence.

Why do you all hold this opinion? Is it a total and complete lack of faith in the judicial system in the DR? Is it because you think the hassle of establishing your innocence would not be worth it?

Doesn't he run the risk of making the situation worse by running? He was in a rental car that apparently was not able to move. So presumably the authorities would have been able to eventually trace the vehicle back to him. By running, wouldn't he just be making things worse???

He seems innocent of manslaughter (accidentally killing the motorcyclist) and presumably he will eventually be vindicated of that charge. But if he had run, wouldn't he have been committing some other kind of offense, fleeing the scene of accident, or something.

I guess I am questioning the wisdom of those who are suggesting that fleeing would have been the best, or dare I say it, moral, move to make in that situation.

The procedure for the police here is very consistent. If you take an injured person to a hospital, the chances are that you will spend a night in the police cells while they investigate so most people do not even do that but if you do drop the person off at emergency and leave . If you hit a motor cyclist and wait for the police you will also spend at least a night in the police cells.
This man now faces huge claims from the family ..

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
You often conflate life in the Dominican Republic to life all over Latin America. Maybe he learned Spanish in Argentina, or Cuba.
The DR is not representative of all countries in Latin America. It is an afro-carribbean banana republic with massive corruption within the police force and a strong tendency toward mob mentality and vigilante justice.
This really frustrates me, as it is an inaccurate portrayal of life elsewhere. I loved living in Venezuela and Colombia (where I am returning very shortly) but loathe living here.

Sorry that you loathe living here , I think in la Romana but I must agree with you that most of Colombia is superb . I spend as much time as I can there but I simply find Bogota and Medellin too cold . But the police are corrupt there and doubly so in Venezuela and in Mexico and driving in Mexico and Caracas is a nightmare . Anyway , I am leaving Zona Colonial in the new year but staying in the DR .

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
Poor sod. Trying to do the "right thing". Maybe someone can get him in touch with the French pilots' "frens".

Jan 9, 2004
If you watch the video, there's a photo of the car after the accident. Based on your assessment, looks like he ran over a motorcycle.

I did not realize they had a video with the article.

Having reviewed same, it does appear to corroborate his story.

It appears the right front fender may be a little bowed, indicating more impact to that side.....and unless it has been cut to drive (likely), the only air bag deployed appears to be on the passenger side.

Not that it matters to the halls of DR injustice, the physical evidence now leans his way. The damage to the motorcycle will also be a critical component as will the types of injuries and where located on the motorcycle operator.

I feel for the driver as last night I ran a gauntlet of no light cars, trucks and motorcycles on the Autopista Duarte.

And then there is the opposite extreme.....what is it with those new low mounted high intensity rectangular lights on some of these mini buses?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The procedure for the police here is very consistent. If you take an injured person to a hospital, the chances are that you will spend a night in the police cells while they investigate so most people do not even do that but if you do drop the person off at emergency and leave . If you hit a motor cyclist and wait for the police you will also spend at least a night in the police cells.
This man now faces huge claims from the family ..

Is jail automatic only if there is injury or is it for any accident?

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Well the police and the family of the decedent will extort this guy for the rest of his life. Don't think he will be back in DR any time after leaving.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
What puzzles me, is, if its cristal clear the tourist is innocent, you would think embassy action could get him out of jail quick, no ?
Its the USA not Botswanna.....

I cant see the video, but I guess its a "normal" car, as in a berline. Bad mistake in the dr.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Why do you all hold this opinion? Is it a total and complete lack of faith in the judicial system in the DR? Is it because you think the hassle of establishing your innocence would not be worth it?(...)
I guess I am questioning the wisdom of those who are suggesting that fleeing would have been the best, or dare I say it, moral, move to make in that situation.

if the car still can drive it is better to leave even if you killed someone. nothing gained from staying. better to go to the police and start the ball rolling before reaching the station, getting a lawyer, pulling old favours and so on.

on a side note, money wise it pays off to kill rather than gravely injure someone. death calls for one off payment while grave injury may end in relatively bigger financial loss of paying smaller sums over longer periods of time.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What puzzles me, is, if its cristal clear the tourist is innocent, you would think embassy action could get him out of jail quick, no ?
Its the USA not Botswanna.....

I cant see the video, but I guess its a "normal" car, as in a berline. Bad mistake in the dr.

The US Embassy cannot do anything except figure out if they can charge him with a US crime. This from personal experience.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The US Embassy cannot do anything except figure out if they can charge him with a US crime. This from personal experience.

Ewwww that sukcs :(.....
Here was me thinking embassys/consulates actually offered some form of protection to their citizens abroad....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I did not realize they had a video with the article.

Having reviewed same, it does appear to corroborate his story.

It appears the right front fender may be a little bowed, indicating more impact to that side.....and unless it has been cut to drive (likely), the only air bag deployed appears to be on the passenger side.

Not that it matters to the halls of DR injustice, the physical evidence now leans his way. The damage to the motorcycle will also be a critical component as will the types of injuries and where located on the motorcycle operator.

I feel for the driver as last night I ran a gauntlet of no light cars, trucks and motorcycles on the Autopista Duarte.

And then there is the opposite extreme.....what is it with those new low mounted high intensity rectangular lights on some of these mini buses?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

i have my suspicions as to why the driver?s side airbag did not deploy. some cars have weight sensitive airbags, which means that if nobody is in the passenger seat, the passenger bag will not go off. my suspicion is that it was in a wreck before, and they simply replaced the airbag module, and not the clockspring. so, the driver bag would not deploy, but the passenger side would.

Status
Not open for further replies.