No Alcohol After Midnight in SD?

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
ive been reading some of the threads on SD and checking out other sites as well and i came across a site that said that "no establishment is permitted to sell alcohol after 12 midnight sunday thru thursday" as a measure against crime. is this true? not that you need alcohol to have a good time (though it doesnt hurt! ;) ) but i thought the nightlife doesnt get started until after midnight so how does it work if you cant buy any alcohol?

here's the link to the site (thanks again bigbird!) if anyone wants to see it...

Colonial Zone Santo Domingo Dominican Republic Night Life Index

sash

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ive been reading some of the threads on SD and checking out other sites as well and i came across a site that said that "no establishment is permitted to sell alcohol after 12 midnight sunday thru thursday" as a measure against crime. is this true? not that you need alcohol to have a good time (though it doesnt hurt! ;) ) but i thought the nightlife doesnt get started until after midnight so how does it work if you cant buy any alcohol?

here's the link to the site (thanks again bigbird!) if anyone wants to see it...

Colonial Zone Santo Domingo Dominican Republic Night Life Index

sash
Nightlife starts earlier now.
Discos used to not see clients 'till 11PM or later.
Now it starts around 9 PM.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
That's old news. I suggest you subscribe to our Daily News on the front page to keep updated or read DR1 regularly :)

We published this story below on Tuesday, 25 September 2007

Drinking time to 1am?
The Ministry of Interior and Police has caved in to pressure and announced that it would extend the official time limit for selling alcoholic drinks to 1am at selected restaurants and businesses in Santiago de los Caballeros and Santo Domingo, the country's two largest cities. The government has relaxed the measure already in tourist destinations. Minister Franklin Almeyda Rancier made the announcement on Friday. He said that the extension is not being applied nationwide, but at authorized centers. He said that anyone who would like an extension should apply at the Ministry of Interior and Police, and their businesses will be evaluated by the fire service and public health ministry officials to determine whether they qualify. Last year the government instituted time limits from Sunday to Thursday to midnight, and on Fridays and Saturdays and holidays to 2am. The measure was welcomed by parents, but criticized from some quarters on the grounds that that the DR lived off tourism and people came here to party. The Police backed the curfews, saying that most gun fights occurred between people who were under the influence of alcohol.

And a follow up story on Tuesday, 09 October 2007

One more hour for drinking
Interior and Police Minister Franklyn Almeyda has announced that 300 establishments in Santo Domingo and Santiago have received permission to sell adult beverages for an hour more than is allotted under the nation's alcohol decree. These establishments are part of pilot program to study whether or not to change the alcohol decree or leave it as is. Last year a limit was set that banned alcohol beverage sales after midnight from Sunday through Thursday, and to 2am on Fridays and Saturdays and holidays.
The decision came after the ministry set new guidelines whereby establishments that meet strict requirements from the Ministry of Public Health, the Police, the Fire Department and the Ministry of Environment are authorized to stay open until 1am on weekdays. Colmados are still limited to the midnight curfew.
The minister also announced that the Barrio Seguro would be extended throughout the province of East Santo Domingo. Villa Duarte, Los Mameyes, Villa Faro, Los Tres Brazos, Los Minas, Cancino, El Tamarindo, Mendoza, San Luis, Los Frailes and Nuevo Amanecer are among the sectors receiving the enhanced security program.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Thanks Rocky and Robert! Its good to know that the bars get started a bit earlier now in SD and Robert...Ill be sure to subscribe :) but that definitey answers my question!

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
And a follow up story on Tuesday, 09 October 2007

One more hour for drinking
Interior and Police Minister Franklyn Almeyda has announced that 300 establishments in Santo Domingo and Santiago have received permission to sell adult beverages for an hour more than is allotted under the nation's alcohol decree.

Is there anywhere that lists which are among these 300 establishments?

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
In the DR since they put extended the hour I'm sure ALL establishments are now "authorized"...

Ok..thanks good to know.

I left the DR just before this law really came into affect, and I still have a very difficult time imagining how it would work...

I admit when I first heard it..I was thinking "Ya right! Sure! That will last all of 1 week!" lol:cheeky:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yeah...but you have to understand that The Dr is not what it used to be in terms of partying. It's basically dead during the week and by the same token that the bar may claim that they are allowed to stay open until 1:00 AM the cops may show up and close it at 12:00 AM regardless...

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Well...it's hard for me to imagine..

But won't affect me much, because when I move back it's for teaching not for big time partying...I'm young, but I did all my huge party days when I was MUCH younger..lol

Anyways..I will have my fav. drinks and wines stocked at my place for this event... ;)

And I know enough of the DR not to expect anything to happen "as it should", rather to expect the unexpected...lol

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
interesting...

Yeah...but you have to understand that The Dr is not what it used to be in terms of partying. It's basically dead during the week and by the same token that the bar may claim that they are allowed to stay open until 1:00 AM the cops may show up and close it at 12:00 AM regardless...

any suggestions as to where to go to find a decent place in SD to hang out, dance and have a few drinks on a week night?

side note: a quick shout out to bigbird who said that my post sounded like i was panicked about the lack of alcohol in SD after midnight/1am ;)