no se la verdad sobre la "popola"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Dragonfly32837 said:
Not only was the song banned from being played in radio stations but the artist that sings it named Glory (Glow) is banned from entering the Dominican Republic.

What's up with all this fake " puritanismo" censorship in Quisqueya??

They banned Raul Acosta's " el gallito", because they they said is " indecent", but he doesn't say all clear. He says " mi gallito quiere mas maiz".
They didn't ban Vicor Roque's " el bembon" thou.
That song goes " bembon negro bembon, bembon y hablador". That is worse and offensive, yet they rather went after Raul for just saying " my rooster wants more corn".

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Keep in mind the "smoke and mirrors" act when it comes to entertainment. Do or say something to get attention and everyone will be out getting your CD to find out the offensive words so they can comment on them too. ;)

Lots of noise and free advertisement, the band or singer apologizes and everything is coming up money, I mean roses again. ;)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Asopao...You know damn well that my friend Ra?l Acosta doesn't sing...'mi gallito quiere mas ma?z'...what he really says in the song is...'mi gallito quiere ma' maiz'...and only at the end he says...'pero es que si digo mas maiz ...suena muy fisno' making fun of the way some dominicans talk...skipping the 'ssss' sound at the end of some words...

So, if you say 'ma maiz'...you know it means something else right? Or do I have to spell it out for you? ;)

Ok...sorry...off topic here...but related...

MQ

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Musicqueen said:
Asopao...You know damn well that my friend Ra?l Acosta doesn't sing...'mi gallito quiere mas ma?z'...what he really says in the song is...'mi gallito quiere ma' maiz'...and only at the end he says...'pero es que si digo mas maiz ...suena muy fisno' making fun of the way some dominicans talk...skipping the 'ssss' sound at the end of some words...

So, if you say 'ma maiz'...you know it means something else right? Or do I have to spell it out for you? ;)

MQ

yes, but this is " doble-sentido", double sense. It is not straight forward. Many songs are like that. If is not banned in the U.S and other countries, why these " comemierdas" politicos that probably go around " cueriando" ( going with prostitutes) and vagabunderia be pretending that they are " puritans".

Fefita la grande sings " si quiere venir que venga". I mean, if you have a dirty mind, you can make it xxx. It is concealed material. If a 6 year old hear this, he won't see it in that light. He'll just think of the verb " venir" as just " to come", and that's it.

But then you have a song like " el bembon" by Victor Roque which is crearly racist. The comemierdas didn't say anything. It is a double standard.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
This morning while my wife was changing my one year old son's diaper my two year old daughter got curious and grabbed his "bebito, for guebito". I told her not to do that again and my wife explained to her that her 'manito has un bebito and she has a popola. This is why when I hear that song by Glory, I become disgusted.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
asopao:

That is the same question I always ask of the people in DR... What with all the infidelity that goes around and everyone is very well aware of it, they ban a song that talks about 'quiero amanecer en una caba?a'...

And you can't kiss in public, or in front of children...

I think that most of these things are just a part of the culture in DR, and they either allow it or ban it as they see fit (or it serves someone's agenda)...

MQ

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Musicqueen said:
asopao:

That is the same question I always ask of the people in DR... What with all the infidelity that goes around and everyone is very well aware of it, they ban a song that talks about 'quiero amanecer en una caba?a'...

And you can't kiss in public, or in front of children...

I think that most of these things are just a part of the culture in DR, and they either allow it or ban it as they see fit (or it serves someone's agenda)...

MQ

These infringements on free speech and expressions are mark of fascism. Doble sentido is not grounds for indecency laws.

The people of Quisqueya must stand up agaisnts these abuses against their freedoms.

May 31, 2005
Fernandito Villalona used to sing songs with doble sentido way back in the day and those songs did not get banned. It's that lady that is in charge right now that is banning everything. I'm not sure if it's a lady or not.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
asopao said:
These infringements on free speech and expressions are mark of fascism. Doble sentido is not grounds for indecency laws.

The people of Quisqueya must stand up agaisnts these abuses against their freedoms.

Yeah man, those fascist pigs. I'm with you man! Give me....or give me death!!

Aegap
-soon to regret what I just wrote.

Last edited:

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Musicqueen said:

MQ

Hahaha this made me laugh. Took me a minute but I figured it out. we actually use the real word mames in some slang.

americangirl

May 30, 2006
AnnaC said:
I went to check out the answers in the other thread and I have come to the conclusion that it must mean vagina.

You need an imagination in a lot of these songs because there's no direct meaning to what they really mean. Just like gasolina.

Now I'm sure you know what the meaning of gasolina is and where he's putting it. ;)

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will jump up and correct me. :laugh:

OK I guess I am dense...But what exactly is gasolina???

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think you'd have to hear that song to understand the meaning.

It sort of goes..Mami, give me the gasolina over and over..

You'd get the meaning..

HB :D:D

Nobody mentioned El Negro con el tolete!!

americangirl

May 30, 2006
Hillbilly said:
I think you'd have to hear that song to understand the meaning.

It sort of goes..Mami, give me the gasolina over and over..

You'd get the meaning..

HB :D:D

Nobody mentioned El Negro con el tolete!!

Sorry but I still would not know what it means...I cannot get sexual inuendos in english, let alone spanish...so what does it mean?? Could you PM me...I am really in the dark here. Thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
americangirl said:
Sorry but I still would not know what it means...I cannot get sexual inuendos in english, let alone spanish...so what does it mean?? Could you PM me...I am really in the dark here. Thanks

If you don't get sexual inuendos in English then I see no point in trying to explain a Spanish sexual inuendo.

Don't worry about it. When you grow up you'll understand :laugh:

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I think its similar to "harder" "faster" during sex or "Baby, give it more gas!

Daddy Yankee sings " A ella le gusta la gasolina (female voices "dame mas gasolina!!") "Como le encanta la gasolina (dame mas gasolina!!)"

Hope this helps. :)

latina16

Mar 1, 2006
Dragonfly32837 said:
The guy is allowed back in. I don't think it's fair.

I don't know if anybodys corrected you but..... glory [glow] isn't a guy shes a girl....

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
"Melo" by Teodoro Reyes, that bachata is soo dumb, at least "La Popola" made you uncomfortable when you heard it around other people and u just knew what she was talking about, I was scandalized when Don Francisco had her sing it on his show, Saturday evening show on Univision!!!!, but this one is just plain stupid. Melo toca, melo mete en la nevera.....melo acaricia...a weak attempt at double meaning lyrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.