noise laws

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Where in Sabaneta are you? If you are on the East side of the Yasika river, then you are in Veragua, which is in a different province than Sabaneta (west side of the Yasika). If you are in Veragua, then you will have to go to the Medio Ambiente in Moca, not Puerto Plata.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Where in Sabaneta are you? If you are on the East side of the Yasika river, then you are in Veragua, which is in a different province than Sabaneta (west side of the Yasika). If you are in Veragua, then you will have to go to the Medio Ambiente in Moca, not Puerto Plata.

Thanks for that, we live on the Veragua side, on the road up to maria.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
The other thing you could do is wait it out. By the way those bars go out of business in that area, it may not take long for them to go out of business. It could happen, unless its some drug dealer that owns the business, then you may have some larger problems, as they probably are quite well connected already. Just a thought......

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
From a legal document:

VISTO, Ley No. 287-04 ? Ley Sobre Prevenci?n, Supresi?n y Limitaci?n de Ruidos Nocivos y Molestos que Producen Contaminaci?n Sonora;
VISTO, Ley No. 64-00 - Ley General sobre Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales;
VISTO, Ley No. 42-01 ? Ley General de Salud;
VISTO, Normas Ambientales para la Protecci?n Contra Ruidos, No. NA-RU-001-03;

We have been struggling against a similar "bar" in the 100% residential neighborhood in Higuey. Past 8 pm the only thing you hear are dogs barking and this frikkin bar. They have local medio ambiente in their pocket because the owner of the structure is friend with Omar Castillo local head of MA AND the son of PRD deputy.

Omar Castillo is a sleazy inept b***d who ran for PRD when they sacked him he turned to PLD and they made him some vice-something during Leonel years and since this year he has been in Medio Ambiente for La Altagracia province. In spite of all the "connections" the owner of the structure has (who is not the same as operator of the bar) THERE ARE people who still can resolve, because they are not aligned along those particular lines. So we are now dealing exclusively through the Fiscalia de Medio Ambiente in La Romana.

Plus, you are also left with an option to go straight to Santo Domingo, you can go to Procuraduria General de Medio Ambiente in La Feria, to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (Medio Ambiente) in SD as well as directly to the Ministry of Interior and make communication to Minister Fadul. Also, La Z101 is a good option to "open the doors" to respective high offices... these are our options yet to take.

The bugger owner had big mouth and revealed a lot of info, so now we know whom "not" to contact. We had a petition of over 30+ signatures. When finally Fiscalia de Medio Ambiente from la Romana went in to make their own measurements (the measurements made by local medio ambiente were never signed and no Acta was given to the owners, guess why) the place was closed for remodelling. The thing is complicated that they seem to change "administration" and "name" frequently which complicates things because a process has to be exhausted in order for a Judge to sign closure order. In this struggle it's me + 2 more dominicans joined together, neighbors, one of them is a wife of the guy who owns all the lots in the neigborhood (it was their hill and they made a residencial out of it). if you want I can email you the copies of the documents we filed, maybe you can use them as a format.

Great information, thanks for that. We live in Bavaro and I, like most people, love to indulge myself and have fun when the bands play but it is the incessant noise that can just kill you.. for us the worst was when we first arrived and the Hurican Caf? had it's all night parties that would go on until 7am and our beds, quite literally, bumped along to the garage type music... Someone must have complained because we rarely get it any more (unless it is the Jellyfish doing it over 1 mile away and it still feels like it is next door!)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
That is exactly what I am trying at present, the nice appoach, we have even been into the bar for a drink and a chat with him. Now it is just LOUD instead of a window shaking F**kin hell it must be an earthquake! type noise.
As my wife and I are retired I don't think we will get away with the 'new baby' scam! lol.
I don't really mind during the day, it's the night time Till 1 or 2am that I have the problem with.

I'm getting old and need my sleep! :tired:

getting old????

BelgianK

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Not to worry as the noise situation in Sosua is currently being attended to by Ken who is a roving reporter for the Sosua news. Ken posted here that numerous civic organizations in Sosua were currently working on this problem. Just relax and be patient. In time the city will be totally quiet and you will get a full nights sleep. If nothing changes in a couple of years you might consider a move to the country where all you will hear is roosters crowing at all hours of the night. Dominicans love noise of all kinds, motos, animals, music, yelling, you name it and if its noise its Dominican. As far as laws there are plenty on the books. Dominicans love laws but do not like enforcing anything unless it benefits some politician and then there will be strict enforcement for a little while until it all goes back to the way it was. Welcome to the DR!

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Not to worry as the noise situation in Sosua is currently being attended to by Ken who is a roving reporter for the Sosua news. Ken posted here that numerous civic organizations in Sosua were currently working on this problem. Just relax and be patient. In time the city will be totally quiet and you will get a full nights sleep. If nothing changes in a couple of years you might consider a move to the country where all you will hear is roosters crowing at all hours of the night. Dominicans love noise of all kinds, motos, animals, music, yelling, you name it and if its noise its Dominican. As far as laws there are plenty on the books. Dominicans love laws but do not like enforcing anything unless it benefits some politician and then there will be strict enforcement for a little while until it all goes back to the way it was. Welcome to the DR!

Thanks for the welcome lol, but we have been living in this house for 4 years now and never had any problems with anyone, we get on very well with all our neighbours it is only the last couple of weeks we have had the problem.

Maybe I am getting too cranky in my old age, now I remember what I was like when I was much much much younger lol.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
I used to live in Italy where the rail track was in my 'back yard' and I did the night shift and never thought I would be able to get any sleep, surprisingly enough I learnt to ignore the noise.

Here I find that everyone just loves to shout, let everyone know exactly what they are doing, their friends are doing, what they are thinking, the arguments have got to be the loudest and certainly the best entertainment. The cockerels crowing even in the middle of Bavaro which has a lot of residential areas... as for the dogs barking and motoconchos chatting, the cars sitting in the middle of the road (just outside your window) with their music blasting and overwhelming the music you are listening to ... but that is just ordinary day to day life. It can really annoy my other half but on the whole I have got used to it and I suppose if there was pure silence around me, it would be a little scary as that would mean that there was no one else alive!

None of us really mind a bit of noise, that is life but I have to say that I don't think could live above / underneath / next door to some of the bars - that would mean locking myself indoors with all windows closed and that is a no-no for us... Britcouple - I hope you get some peace.. and it is nothing to do with old age, we just get cranky sometimes, lol... (another Brit couple).. :)

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Thanks for the welcome lol, but we have been living in this house for 4 years now and never had any problems with anyone, we get on very well with all our neighbours it is only the last couple of weeks we have had the problem.

Maybe I am getting too cranky in my old age, now I remember what I was like when I was much much much younger
lol.

That's really annoying and I can sympathise, especially when you are living out of the main noise generating towns.

It should be possible to bring a public nuisance order against them after 9pm and almost certainly after 11pm. It would be useful if you could get some local neighbours in on the complaint as well.

That would add weight but it's best to hope the bar doesn't survive too long.

You could start with the local police I guess.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A small colmado opened at the entrance to a large apartment complex not far from my home about two years ago.
The owner BLASTED music from dawn, to dawn, and on weekends he had live bands BLASTING!
The majority of his customer came from the 300 or more Apts., and houses there!
They signed a pettition to stop the music, "NADA de Musica" !!!!!
He could continue to "Blast" and have no customers, or "Turn Off The Music" and have NO CLIENTES"??????????
I haven't heard a "Peep" since he choose customers over music!!!!!!!!
The only way to get Dominicans to do anything you want, is if it costs them money"!!!
"PERIOD"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
dept of "Medio Ambiente" has been successful in excessive noise violations here.
They shut the places down for a few days, and they see the light!
They also confiscate the HUGE Speakers for repeat offenders.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A small colmado opened at the entrance to a large apartment complex not far from my home about two years ago.
The owner BLASTED music from dawn, to dawn, and on weekends he had live bands BLASTING!
The majority of his customer came from the 300 or more Apts., and houses there!
They signed a pettition to stop the music, "NADA de Musica" !!!!!
He could continue to "Blast" and have no customers, or "Turn Off The Music" and have CLIENTES"??????????
I haven't heard a "Peep" since he choose customers over music!!!!!!!!
The only way to get Dominicans to do anything you want, is if it costs them money"!!!
"PERIOD"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
dept of "Medio Ambiente" has been successful in excessive noise violations here.
They shut the places down for a few days, and they see the light!
They also confiscate the HUGE Speakers for repeat offenders.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Britcouple we live in Las Canas GH, do you want some ear plugs? I bought 5 huge cases of them so I have LOTS!! Let me know and I can drop some by if you want?
The wife finds the waves noisy lol!!

I was thinking the same as hammer! Hopefully they will go out of business :)

Lol, Thanks for the offer Harleysrock but it is strangely quiet tonight, maybe my chat with him worked.... or I actually have gone deaf!!! :sleep:

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
That's really annoying and I can sympathise, especially when you are living out of the main noise generating towns.

It should be possible to bring a public nuisance order against them after 9pm and almost certainly after 11pm. It would be useful if you could get some local neighbours in on the complaint as well.

That would add weight but it's best to hope the bar doesn't survive too long.

You could start with the local police I guess.

We don't want to go down the official and/or police route unless we have to, as at least the guy is trying to earn some money instead of going out thieving etc so hopefully we can sort it out with him.

We get LOTS of noise/loud music during samana santa as we have a river at the bottom of our garden where half of sabaneta seems to gather, but that is fine, they start around midday and have all packed up and gone home by 7pm....perfect, although listening to the same record 15 times a day wears a bit thin eventually lol.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
That is exactly what I am trying at present, the nice appoach, we have even been into the bar for a drink and a chat with him. Now it is just LOUD instead of a window shaking F**kin hell it must be an earthquake! type noise.
As my wife and I are retired I don't think we will get away with the 'new baby' scam! lol.
I don't really mind during the day, it's the night time Till 1 or 2am that I have the problem with.

I'm getting old and need my sleep! :tired:

with all respect, but should you choice another country for retirement?

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
with all respect, but should you choice another country for retirement?

why should I? I like the country and without thousands of other gringo's like me this country would be in a much worse state financially....true or not?

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
We don't want to go down the official and/or police route unless we have to, as at least the guy is trying to earn some money instead of going out thieving etc so hopefully we can sort it out with him.

We get LOTS of noise/loud music during samana santa as we have a river at the bottom of our garden where half of sabaneta seems to gather, but that is fine, they start around midday and have all packed up and gone home by 7pm....perfect, although listening to the same record 15 times a day wears a bit thin eventually lol.

Don't worry about the guy making money as he sure doesn't give a sh*t about you.
The problem is that you will have a very ****ed off neighbor.
Frankly I think that the laws need to be enforce evenly. IN the campo they aren't .
Probably the only real solution is to organize a facebook action group . Like a MADD in Canada ( MOthers against drunk driving) . The group could collectively pressure the various govt orgs here and their might be more without your identity being directly obvious. If this country every want to promote retirement living for example they must deal with this in an effective way. Collectively the group could make potential residents aware that their investment could become worthless.
Where I live there is a million dollar villa in the campo owned by swiss people. THere is a cuero bar wright across the street and the music is unbelievable.They must be really ****ed as well.