Non-alcoholic beverages produce RD$15.6 billion for government

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Mario-Pujols-Nicolle-Valerio-Roberto-Despradel-y-Catalina-Araya-Diario-Libre-1024x577.png

The people in the Dominican Republic drink a lot of soda drinks, flavored water and fruit juices. Soft drinks cost little and distribution is excellent nationwide.

The soft drinks industry is now lobbying to keep its tax benefits. Health sectors consider the sugary drinks should be taxed as these drinks are damaging to health. Most consumers are unaware of the negative effects the sugary drinks have on health.

The soft drink and juices industry reveals that and all together this non-alcoholic beverage sector produces a whopping RD$15.6 billion for the National Treasury (Hacienda). The sector also provides jobs for over 60,000 persons.

A recent study sponsored by the Association for Non-Alcoholic Beverages of the Dominican Republic and carried out by Despradel and Associates (DESA) looked at data from the Central Bank and...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Tax the living daylights out of them.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Since I stopped drinking alcohol I'm trying to find non-sweetened stuff to drink. There are very little options other than water and some unsweetened fruit juices. But that is pretty much the same everywhere. The soft drink companies need to try some unsweetened or less sugar liquid refreshments and see what happens.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Since I stopped drinking alcohol I'm trying to find non-sweetened stuff to drink. There are very little options other than water and some unsweetened fruit juices. But that is pretty much the same everywhere. The soft drink companies need to try some unsweetened or less sugar liquid refreshments and see what happens.
tonic water, which is actually good for you, water, unsweetened yogurt, various teas, near beer. I like the apple cider with the Fiss.

Reactions: MoJoInDR and Jan
Nov 9, 2023
SC
I also quit alcohol and got tired of sweet softdrinks so I went back to 0,0 beer. Bravo has some variations of lager, lemon and ginger tastes. Not much sugar, good enough for me.

Reactions: bob saunders

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
I quit alcohol back in the mid-90s... A choice between mountain biking early on Saturday mornings or partying late on Friday nights. Mountain biking won.

Hibiscus tea (sorrel in Trinidad), ginger, lime/lemon, beet juice, watermelon juice... There are tons of alternatives... The only hurdle is convenience, it's just easy to pick up a soda at the store.

The need is discipline to make your own drinks at home and then remember to take a bottle with you when heading out. These days there are Yeti (expensive) and RTIC containers (more affordable) that are both excellent at keeping liquid cool or hot.

And the DR has all the natural ingredients needed... Cheap... And you can even grow them at home.

And while you're at it... Take a look at your water as well... And start saying "No" to plastic bottled water.

I have a friend here in Austin who I play squash with... He is a senior professor at The McCombs School of Business, part of The University of Texas at Austin. One day we were talking about economies around the world and he mentioned that water was going to become a (maybe even the) leading commodity on the earth. He said that over a decade ago... And here we are... Nestle anyone?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 8.51.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 8.51.01 AM.png
    256.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 8.51.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 8.51.41 AM.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 8.53.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 8.53.32 AM.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: bob saunders

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm not going to even consider the water coming out of our well when a doctor tells me to keep my ears plugged when I take a shower.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter