North Coast Roads Report: 2016-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In reference to the St. lights, 3 months ago I wrote a letter about 22 that did not work from the day they were installed. Somebody is paying CDE 700 Pesos a month for each light. At 700 RD each, they should all work. I E-mailed a letter to CDE, the installation contractor Sarita & Asociados, Ayuntamientos of Cabarete & Sosua and a number of news organizations from Sosua News to the Listín Diario. The only answer I received was from Cabarete and all they said was “we have many more in Cabarete that do not function”.

That is a classic response from Edenorte. You (nor I) simply cannot fix stupid. The only thing more stupid than Edenorte is the stupid amount of corruption in this region.

Edenorte/Sarita put in new power poles in our development about a year ago and gave us 24/7 power through their new metering system to monitor for power theft.

They put street lights on three of the streets but did not put them on our street. We asked why they did not put them on our street as well and they said "This is a "private" community".... Right, uhm, so why did you put street light on two of the three streets? As I mentioned, stupid cannot be fixed.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
In our area they put in a street light, that no longer works, but the neighbor found a way to climb up & tie into the power run it down the pole, dug across the street (cut the asphalt) filled the cut with dirt and now has power even during the day. I would report them but I know Eden Norte would do nothing. They are here frequently parking their trucks to take siestas till late in the evening so I am sure they have seen the lights on in the place and yet no meter - you think they would ask themselves "I wonder where the electrify comes from" and the line coming down the pole is not hard to see especially after you see the cut asphalt (which angered me)?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Not entirely about north coast roads, but about the new toll road that goes north from Las Americas up to near Nagua on the north coast. Yesterday I was driving on this road and in the distance I saw police who I thought could be checking for speed, so I slowed right down to make sure I was legal. As I approached, one of the cops waved me to stop, which I did. After checking my documents, she said I had been breaking the speed limit, to which I replied that I was pretty sure I wasn't. She then showed me on the speed gun screen the number 100, which she said was my speed (the limit is 80kph). I never saw her actually point the gun at me and there was no evidence that it was my car that had recorded this speed, but what could I do? So I negotiated a "fine" with her and was sent on my way. Further along the road I saw three more sets of AMET guys catching "speeding" drivers. It's rare to see one, most days. It seems that Christmas is coming, so be prepared on that road!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Been several on that road lately...

I too had a ticket... but I was guilty as charged

Fine is 1,000 pesos no matter the speed

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Now I'm really ****ed off! This morning I received an email stating that I too had been fined RD$1,000. My "Christmas present" to the AMET lady was for nothing! Oh well, all part of the fun and games and every day learning experience of living in the DR. At least I'm supporting the economy!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was wondering if you got written up.....
and that's why I posted the 1,000 amount.... to make sure you got'off' for less

Too bad....

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Not entirely about north coast roads, but about the new toll road that goes north from Las Americas up to near Nagua on the north coast. Yesterday I was driving on this road and in the distance I saw police who I thought could be checking for speed, so I slowed right down to make sure I was legal. As I approached, one of the cops waved me to stop, which I did. After checking my documents, she said I had been breaking the speed limit, to which I replied that I was pretty sure I wasn't. She then showed me on the speed gun screen the number 100, which she said was my speed (the limit is 80kph). I never saw her actually point the gun at me and there was no evidence that it was my car that had recorded this speed, but what could I do? So I negotiated a "fine" with her and was sent on my way. Further along the road I saw three more sets of AMET guys catching "speeding" drivers. It's rare to see one, most days. It seems that Christmas is coming, so be prepared on that road!

I always see at least 4 radar traps on that toll highway and I travel it during different times of the year.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Now I'm really ****ed off! This morning I received an email stating that I too had been fined RD$1,000. My "Christmas present" to the AMET lady was for nothing! Oh well, all part of the fun and games and every day learning experience of living in the DR. At least I'm supporting the economy!

I'd be willing to bet you're not the first one that has happened to. I'm amazed they sent you an email - and so fast! How'd they get that info?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Having been on that road too much lately...
Yes -- I saw the radar

But what confused me was the recent repaving of the hilly section
on the north coast end -- at that last stretch of the highway approaching Nagua

One of my engineer friends informed that it was to install a better surface.... less slippage
and hopefully less accidents

That explains a seemingly good road is being reworked

Muy moderno..... huh?... a slip free surface !!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I'd be willing to bet you're not the first one that has happened to. I'm amazed they sent you an email - and so fast! How'd they get that info?

Good question. I assume I must have given it when I applied for my driving licence. Big Brother is watching you, even in the DR!

Status
Not open for further replies.